LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated May 13, 2014

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh

16 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great team, an exciting product, and a company that is improving for employees and customers.

Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

Pros- We stay fairly on top of technology
    - Great coworkers, I've never such a tight knit team before
    - Fun but fast paced culture
    - Improving product and platform vision over time

Cons- Some middle managers feel a bit too much like used car salesmen
    - Sometimes a little too focused on cost cutting
    - Business side can overcommit team without them knowing and often go for the quick wins over long term wins
    - Still a bit blind on issues of employees, but trending for the better

Advice to Senior ManagementI would hold all levels of management more accountable for the performance and happiness of their teams.

To big and divided for success

Analyst (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsFlexible on PTO depending on department

Cons"Us vs. them" internal mentality. Too much political bickering over trivial things such as dress code in non-customer facing roles. Unannounced layoffs.Too much preaching innovation without action and investment. It's a corporate game with too many managers trying to build their own portfolios.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange yourself before trying to change the company.

No Growth at Raleigh Location

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsSomewhat flexible. Depending upon group, you might get some work.

ConsDayton GTO wants to control power, treats Raleigh location as a satellite office. They don't give any room for promotion, no decision making power.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly want to make this a global company, fire every one in GTO and start a fresh.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good place to work for years, but has steadily declined over the last few years

Manager, Software Engineering (Former Employee)

ProsGreat benefits. Good pay. Good challenging work and products

ConsConstant layoffs. Even when advertising many job openings, they are laying off good employees while other good employees leave on their own. Seems to me like they are hiring in Raleigh/Cary to get tax benefits from NC. But at the same time letting good people go to make profits look better. Revenue prospects don't look good to me.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people! It's one of your "core values", but it just doesn't happen.

Great people, but lack of professional advancement training & opportunities

Cary, NC

ProsGreat workplace culture and benefits

ConsNo opportunity for advancement and lack of leadership to mentor and help individuals grow out of their current roles and promote.

A great career lessons learned on the type of company to avoid.

Director (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

Pros1. Really passionate team members.
    2. Small pockets of leaders that truly care and are experienced enough to build strong, high performing teams. Although they are usually outnumbered.

Cons1. Disconnected and disengaged leadership.
    2. 'Boys Club' leadership culture that manages up and out.
    3. Sr. leaders are so involved with pushing their agendas, that employee input is rarely considered.
    4. Have I mentioned there is a glaring (negative) leadership issue there?

Advice to Senior ManagementLet the number of people that have left in the past 18 months be a wake-up call that you truly need to get people in that understand how to lead high performing organizations. Be humble enough to know when your ideas and strategies are not working and smart enough to course correct before its too late.

Great only at sucking the life out of acquisitions... While core business is disappearing to free/cheaper alternatives.

Development Team (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsGreat individual contributors to work with. First line managers that try their best given their limited influence.

ConsArrogant and clueless SR management and GMs. Would rather talk around the problem than try to dig in and solve the problem. First level managers are left powerless. Budgets are held at SVP level giving Directors and Managers no insight into fiscal health. As a result, all cost saving measures are implemented by treating the person as a number and salary cost instead of their contributions to the organization. Highest paid are first to go. Others see this and proactively choose to leave. One could call it: Talent Cancer.

Advice to Senior ManagementTake a close look at the talent walking out the door. The is the intellectual property you invested hundreds of millions in through acquisitions and you are driving them away. Time to pause and reflect on what went wrong instead of defecting the blame.

Too much work and not enough resources...

Cary, NC

ProsPay and benefits are in line with industry average. There are frequent fun company sponsored events.

ConsPeople are overworked and there is a lack of trust in executive leadership and management. Constant turn over among executive and management positions. The organization structure also includes a large number of these positions relative to the number of employees. There's almost an equal amount of time spent communicating and reviewing with different layers of management as there is on actual deliverables. Low morale and high burnout.

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat employees like they're human, are valuable, and have lives outside of work. Set reasonable expectations and schedules based on resources. Also, spend more resources on technical, hands-on skills and decrease the management layers!!

Frequent passive-aggressive behavior and contemptuous attitudes in the N.C. software business. But interesting products.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
    Cary, NC

ProsThe company is making headway into SaaS (software as a service) and reorganizes often to stay atop a dynamic market.

ConsReorganizes often to stay atop a dynamic market.. Several managers seem to have passive-aggressive behaviors that (apart from the obvious personal drawbacks) result in many meetings to pin people down to commitments.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore modeling and rewarding of humility and the celebration of others could reduce communications stonewalling and employee attrition.

Lots of potential, extremely poor execution and leadership.

Manager (Current Employee)
    Cary, NC

Pros- Large, stable company with tons of potential.
    - Strong, passionate employees that truly want to see the company succeed.
    - In an area where technical resources are abundant

Cons- Executive leadership that allows their arrogance to downplay most employee concerns.
    - An organization thats more concerned with 'messaging' and 'framing' conversations that surfacing and addressing real organization concerns.
    - Executive leadership team that follows more of a 'push' model for ideas and feedback instead of a 'pull' method to give employees a stage to voice concerns.
    - Attracting talent is difficult because the company has such a negative reputation in the area.

Advice to Senior Management- Please place your arrogance aside and actually listen to your employees.
    - Pay attention to the Employee Surveys that we spend time on.
    - Engage employees in recommending action plans to get us going in the right direction.

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LexisNexis Legal & Professional reviews and ratings in Cary, NC — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh. All 16 reviews posted anonymously by LexisNexis Legal & Professional employees.