LexisNexis Legal & Professional

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews

Updated Jul 21, 2014

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh

Pros
  • Family-oriented culture which gives way to a satisfying work-life balance(in 67 reviews)

• Company was very flexible with people wanting to work from home(in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Inept executive board and senior management attitude destroying a once-proud company(in 61 reviews)

• Lack of leadership from upper management and lack of clear direction for my particular BU(in 50 reviews)

Horrible experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTruly the worst employement experienc I've ever had. The only Pro I can think of was the summer hours. And the benefits are rich.

ConsLeadership was horrible. You hear rumors about the lay offs at this company and think they must be exaggerated. Then you get in and realize that six mass layoffs a year is not uncommon.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn how to save money throughout the year, so you don't have to use lay offs as a cost cutting measure. You need more leaders and less micromangers.

50/50 chance

Manager Sales (Former Employee)

Prosdecent to good pay for the amount of hours you actually do work
    benefit options are plentiful
    travel opportunities exist at least 4 times a year
    great team mates

ConsSenior and middle management aloof and doesn't communicate well
    lack of clear strategy to follow
    very near-sighted views and approach on the revenue / profit side
    product isn't the best it could be
    employee expense reimbursement cumbersome (need a degree to file an expense report - takes an entire day to fill out an expense report)

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many shake ups and shake downs lead to low morale
    communicate the long view and layout a clear path to achieve it
    make it simpler to get employee expenses reimbursed
    communicate more!

Mixed

IT Worker (Former Employee) Miamisburg, OH

ProsLots of interesting projects and very talented resources. Pay is above par... but comes at a price (reference Cons).

ConsCulture is fairly political. No empathy for workloads that too often demand in excess of 60 hour work weeks, working weekends and holidays and vacations. Ability in leadership to plan reasonable and sustainable workloads and project queues is lacking. Rounds of significant layoffs nearly once yearly.

Advice to Senior ManagementSimilar feedback from across the company provided but no tangible positive change had taken place. Talk the talk but don't walk the walk.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A mess

Mid-Level Manager (Current Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsGood vacation/pto, give back to community. Dayton has a relatively low cost of living and the campus is nice

ConsThis company works hard not smart

Advice to Senior ManagementBe your own company, not a West wannabe. Quit hiring the people Thompson West fires and placing them in leadership positions. Be consistent! Get your core business in order before continuing to buy others

Great people and products but typical large company corporate situation

ProsI had the pleasure to work with some great people. All professional, approachable and invested in our project.

Benefits and culture were great but compensation is average at best.

The project I was on was up to speed on adopting scrum and solid development practice. It was a great learning experience and it shows in the quality of the products.

ConsTypical corporate decision making with little regard to what really works vs managerial agendas.

Productive teams have been broken up and most given their walking papers all for the sake of centralizing development in Cary, NC for some grand modular development experiment.

Advice to Senior ManagementGood luck, hopefully the new direction in development will not tarnish the products out in the market place.

Great company to work for. A lot of flexibility offered to employees. Restructuring is hard to keep up with.

Legal Project Editor (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsTime-off is better than most companies and there is a developed training system in place

ConsCompensation is not the best

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should try to have have a few more meetings with employees to discuss problems.

Great Law Student Work

LexisNexis Student Representative (Current Employee) Los Angeles, CA

ProsDecent pay for the effort required, very flexible hours, great way to meet your fellow student, people rely on you for help with research. This job was a wonderful addendum to being on law review. Because we sat in the library and did nothing for hours, I used the time to get school work done. I tried to get students to ask me questions, but they rarely did. Still, I'm considered a "Lexis" expert on campus and students still e-mail or find me when they need help.

ConsNot a full time job, no bonuses or point opportunities, we could do so much more than just sit in a library and wait for students to come to us.

Advice to Senior ManagementUse your student reps more.

All the benefits and challenges of a large company.

ProsHome based employees have a lot of flexibility. Most of the workforce in CA is home based. Free access to data resources for employees and great people across the board.

ConsGrowth is by acquisition which makes for a very fragmented workplace. Career growth is very difficult as the company consolidates in locations mostly on the east coast. Unless you're interested in Sales, it can be very challenging to have development and advancement.

Advice to Senior ManagementCulture is not just words - the management needs to give incentives to really drive the culture in the direction desired.

Great emerging technology player in the Raleigh area!

ProsGreat senior management in the software division with some fantastic hires in the last year or so. Treats employees fairly and rewards top performers. Awesome focus on philanthropy through LexisCares.

ConsWork/life balance gets tested but not often. Need to make equity more available to employees to drive retention of top talent.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep investing in your people.

Tough environment

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat people in the trenches of this organization. The long term employees love this place, or at least what it used to be.

ConsThe executive culture is very risk averse. They are set up to be rewarded for undermining your internal competition.

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!