LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated December 2, 2014
2.7

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Pros
  • Other areas of the company allow more flexibility, better work life balance (in 73 reviews)

• Company was very flexible with people wanting to work from home (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Inept executive board and senior management attitude destroying a once-proud company (in 62 reviews)

• Upper management concerned only with short term revenue goals (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

158 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

A great place to work if you get in the right area

Current Employee - Print Specialist in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Print Specialist in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a large company with a little bit of stability. They have a lot of room to grow if you work hard.

Cons

Management in certain areas can be tough here. If you land under the wrong group you could have a rough time with the company.

Used to be a great company

Current Employee - Territory Manager in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Territory Manager in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Money can be made. Management leaves performers alone

Cons

Downsizing big time. Poor leadership at the top.

Upper managment is out of touch with sales and products.

It is too boring to work there.

Former Employee - Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Good salaries, Friendly environment and comfortable working conditions overall.

Cons

Boring work content, little to learn.

Legal research associate

Former Employee - Legal Research Associate in Dayton, OH
    Former Employee - Legal Research Associate in Dayton, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

They have really great benefits. Other areas of the company allow more flexibility, better work life balance.

Cons

Management treats you like just a number, don't pay value for the education they require.

You get more when you appreciate your employees.

Great experience

Former Employee - Senior Legal Editor in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Legal Editor in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Lexis Nexis is a forward thinking legal company. I like the products they offer. I really enjoyed working for them.

Cons

The pay could be better, especially for legal professionals, but you shouldn't expect to be paid as a lawyer when you're not working as one.

Great company - tough competitive situation

Current Employee - General Manager in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - General Manager in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Really care about the customer. People like to engage and work together to solve problems. Organization has been flattened and people are getting to know the leaders.

Cons

Tough competitive situation. Funding is being used to build out new products, which has created cost pressure on other areas. This has resulted in a number of positions being eliminated and remaining employees are very busy.

Will have to stop cutting soon or will impact the business

Like living the final hours of the Titanic over and over for months.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to work on the worst products in the market.

Constant layoffs.

Not having to worry about meeting any goals.

Be entertained at release meetings by senior managers presenting drug induced alternate reality views of the market.

Live The White Man's Burden as you hear senior mangers tell you about how the happy, smiling dark skinned people in the Philippines sing songs for you as you offshore jobs.

Cons

Let me tell you how bad this place is. LexisNexis does an annual employee survey. One of the questions is whether we would recommend working there to a friend. As you can see from the reviews here, no one is recommending to their FRIENDS LexisNexis as a place to work.

The company's response was to tie our bonus to improving the organization's score on that question. In other words, we have to lie on our surveys to get more bonus money.

That's is how the company is run now. Financial gimmicks. It is the most mismanaged company I have ever encountered. Most companies have islands of mismanagement where the incompetents congregate together. In LexisNexis, EVERYTHING is mismanaged: HR, CDI (customer testing), Product, Marketing, GTO (IT)--it is just an all around circus.

For the benefit of LexisNexis: Gives yourselves a good severance package and LEAVE!

For the benefit of everyone else: Stay where you are and keep doing what you are doing.

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Miamisburg, OH

Pros

Decent restuarant (Miamisburg). Close to home. Friendly geese in the carpark. Clean restrooms. Nice lady at the security desk. Good for a laugh.

Cons

Dark, grubby, work environment. Slow and out of date computing equipment. Terrible terrible management. I can't stress this enough. Management is terrible. If you are so desperate for a job that you have no choice then consider changing careers, waiting tables. Anything but working here. The ship is sinking. Everybody knows it. Except management who exist in a large bubble full of ego and arrogance.

We could give the greatest advice but they wouldn't take any notice. IT management from the top down should be sacked. "Valuing our people" is the company slogan. Utter, utter rubbish. They value paperclips more. Get out while you can...

Like watching a slow-motion trainwreck

Former Employee - Customer Support in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

+ Benefits are still okay, though being cut gradually every year.
    + Serious commitment to charity.

Cons

- Like working for a government bureaucracy, but without the job security: 2/3 of the Customer Support group has either been outsourced to the Phillippines, or has quit due to the miserable working conditions, low morale, and few growth opportunities.
    - Poorly-designed products that crash or otherwise fail frequently.
    - Shockingly incompetent management, top down -- playing out the clock as the company keeps sliding downhill -- paying lip service to employee input, though too insecure in their ignorance to act on it -- totally occupied with time-wasting "busy work" in order to justify how ridiculously top-heavy the company is.
    - If the parent company, Reed Elsevier, were a human parent, Protective Services would step in and charge them with severe neglect.

Running a successful company takes more than the MBAs and Six Sigma certifications you have: It takes industry knowledge and experience, common sense, and humility. Unfortunately, you only have what you read in the books. And, thanks to the poor economy, you are too desperate to leave. If it's not too late to stabilize the company for the longterm, you are not competent to make it happen.

Used to be a nice place to work but has changed greatly in the last 2 years.

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers made the work fun and enjoyable. My current managers are great and encourage us to do our best. They don't make things hard for us if we make a mistake. They help us work through the issue and find ways to solve the situation so the issues so surface again.

Cons

Jobs started moving offshore and developing skills for those employees. They have done major layoffs in the last 4 years. The employees that are left have to do more with less assistance and resources. It has become a very stressful environment and the motivation for the long term employees is no longer there. People just don't have the drive they had before and just come to work because they have no choice.

Management should work to even the playing field for offshore and US Employees. Give us the resources we need to successfully do our jobs. When promising to create more jobs and flexibility, do what you say and not just make empty promises. We have lost too many good employees due to empty promises.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Photos