LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated Apr 8, 2014

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh

135 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great company to work for. A lot of flexibility offered to employees. Restructuring is hard to keep up with.

Legal Project Editor (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 3 years

ProsTime-off is better than most companies and there is a developed training system in place

ConsCompensation is not the best

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement should try to have have a few more meetings with employees to discuss problems.

A mess

Mid-Level Manager (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood vacation/pto, give back to community. Dayton has a relatively low cost of living and the campus is nice

ConsThis company works hard not smart

Advice to Senior ManagementBe your own company, not a West wannabe. Quit hiring the people Thompson West fires and placing them in leadership positions. Be consistent! Get your core business in order before continuing to buy others

Customer Support - micromanagement

Product Specialist (Current Employee)
Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 8 years

ProsGreat coworkers & interesting work. Perfect right out of law school opportunity. Paid to fine tune research skills, opportunity to study for the bar while on the clock. Brilliant colleagues who have built the company's reputation one call at a time.

ConsMicromanagement from multiple sources. Immediate managers roll in at 8AM, take 1.5-2 hour lunches, and leave right at 5PM. During their short workday, they watch your every move and manage to the second the time you spend on every call. They pressure you to score them well on employee NPS. Work Force managers schedule your every break and lunch. Directors try to implement six sigma practices in a research environment, where every call is unique and important.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate that research is an art and our customers benefit from our experience and educations.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

IT Service Manager

IT Manager (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood people to work with.

ConsCompany focuses more on the shareholders than their employees. Focus on the short term financials goals at the sacrifice of long term stability

Advice to Senior ManagementLook at the long term picture and not just the short term goals...don't give away the future to meet this quarter's numbers

No More Growth for LN. They are meeting the numbers for the shareholders by getting rid of tenured talent.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 10 years

ProsBenefits, Environment, People are great.

ConsThey don't value their people, numbers driven, poor executive leadership, not a long term employer.

Advice to Senior ManagementGo find a new place to work.

Good company - good benefits - needs work on innovation

Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGood tangibles, good work ethic, unique benefits such as work-out facilities and activities; employees work hard within their function. Great technology.

ConsCulture of "passivity" - stay in your function and don't stir up the dust, don't innovate. That's management's job. Let project management or functional management shoulder all of that burden. Just "lay low" and enjoy your benefits. Stick to the process, even if its unwieldy and won't deliver its intended business result. Management over-loaded with meetings/admin/dozens of direct reports. Plus heavy reliance on off-shore outsourcing - are cost savings justified?

Advice to Senior ManagementHold middle management accountable for innovation that improves a business outcome.

LexisNexis... I would stay away

Hard Worker (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat place to start a career with, good pay, so so benefits but that is everywhere.

ConsProfit is number one, everything else is secondary. If you are looking for a career, look elsewhere as they make it a practice to lay off tenured employees, cant sustain a career at LexisNexis. Customer satisfaction used to be important, not any more. If you are a loyal employee, you need your head examined because the company doesnt care about you. The employee opinion survey is a joke and not paid attention to. Setting records low numbers fo " Would you refer this company to a friend?? Company cares about looking great in the community but does the community realy know what they are doing with the local work forces, Martindale Hubbell, Albany, Dayton. Company preaches innovation but they do not listen to their employees. They are sending jobs oversees at a ratio of 7 foreign workers to equal one American worker, American workers help build and drive this company since the 70's. Layoffs are rampant due to a failing flagship product so since it isnt making money, the parent company cuts jobs to make up for the losses. Too many Directors and Vice Presidents, nothing gets accomplished except more meetings. Some of the worst leaders in the business, they have their own agendas and do not care about their employees or their contributions. Human resources is managements whipping boy, they are not an employee advocate at all. Bonuses are non existent for the workers but management gets all the money. Sad to see a company I once loved and respected go to waste by current money hungry CEOs and parent company DBs

Advice to Senior ManagementI would love to give advice but unfortunately I know that the people who this needs to be directed to, would just shrug it off, as long as they make their cuts and receive their bonuses, they are content and happy.

Great, smart people to work with!

Senior Director (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time for more than 10 years

ProsExcellent flexibility, excellent benefits, competitive salary, great people

ConsNo security, constant change, short-term strategy only, lots of "politic-ing"

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your people and stick with a strategy for more than a year.

Technology professional at LexisNexis for more than 20 years.

Dayton, OH

ProsLexisNexis pays well and has reasonably good benefits. The work environment is pleasant and the location is nice.

Cons* Executives are completely out of touch with reality and cannot formulate or stick to a strategy.
* The company is very reactive and chases every "bright, shiny object".
* Tactical decision making is the norm.
* Layoffs are constant. Good people are let go because of political differences, not necessarily because of skills.
* Each year brings a reduction in benefits. Changes to vacation policies, pension plans, insurance plans, 401K etc.
* Benefits are provided based on your level (number of layers below the CEO) and salary, years of service are becoming irrelevant

Advice to Senior ManagementFormulate a solid strategy and stick to it. Value your employees.

Bad place to work

Project Manager (Current Employee)
Dayton, OH

ProsGood salary and benefits. Work life balance is very good. Very nice facility in the Dayton suburbs. Great people to work with.

ConsToo much offshoring. Constant layoffs. Director level and above do not respect their employees. Little to no opportunity for advancement. Instead of being appreciative of the unreasonable amount of work that we have completed we are constantly criticized and demoralized. Employees are considered as an expense and not as human beings.

Advice to Senior ManagementThe culture needs to change and it should start at the top. Instead of laying off talented workers and losing all of that intellectual capital, maybe the senior management should be replaced.

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LexisNexis Legal & Professional reviews and ratings in Dayton, OH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh. All 135 reviews posted anonymously by LexisNexis Legal & Professional employees.