LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Employment Status

Reset
LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Pros
  • Good work life balance as long as you are meeting numbers (in 73 reviews)

• Good time off and ability to work from home (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Risk aversion of senior management (in 62 reviews)

• Upper management concerned only with short term revenue goals (in 54 reviews)

1. Good place to work during the time that I was employed with them.

Former Employee - Manager of Customer Service in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Manager of Customer Service in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Cared about the people that the company serviced, and did a great job contributing to this society.

Cons

Not the greatest leadership guidance from anyone above the Director level.

Advice to Management

Be, and get involved with the people that you entrust your lower level management positions.

Very uncomfortable workspace

Former Contractor - IT Worker in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Contractor - IT Worker in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible working hours and good coffee

Cons

The company has very bad management.

Frustrating Place to work

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Good benefits
    Good Training & Education programs
    Interesting work

Cons

Internal processes for getting work accomplished are constipated
    Lower pay than comparable jobs at other companies
    Lack of innovation
    Late to market with new product offerings

Advice to Management

Get down in the trenches - LexisNexis is very hard to do business with an even harder for employees to do business with
    Pay your workers a competitive salary

5. Fair

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Great work life/balance supported by management, innovation everywhere, very agile as an organization.

Cons

Constant reorgs lead to confusion around reporting structure and little communication of strategic vision of the organization down to the masses.

6. Great work place

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Get to use the cutting edge technology. You get to work with very smart people. Fortunate enought to have friendly co-workers.

Cons

compensation could be better. It is below or at the best at market. Makes it tough to keep good people.

Advice to Management

Reward employees for their knowledge and hard work.

Managers are only in the[r positions because there was no where else to put them.

Current Employee - Analyst in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, good people to work with. Flexible with working from home (my team is anyway). Great holiday schedule.

Cons

Management aren't management people, they are technical people that had no where else to go so they were placed in management. Senior management has no clue as to what is going on at the bottom. There is a lack of direction and very little communication and team work is almost frowned upon. This company is more about getting their products out quickly than having them be quality products. There is little to no room for growth. They also fail to invest in their employees. I feel like I am just a person sitting in a chair than an actual employee that is appreciated.

Advice to Management

Senior management needs to remember that happy employees help make the company successful. If employees feel threatened or unappreciated, as soon as a different opportunity opens up, they will leave, then who will you depend on to run your business. Remember it starts from the ground up!

Good, bad, then UGLY.

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Boca Raton, FL
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Boca Raton, FL

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Good: - Worker bee's of the company (sub mgmt) were good people, hard workers, intelligent. The overall benefits were sufficient.
    -CEO of Risk.

Cons

Bad: Management. Middle management to Sr. Director level was horrible. After ChoicePoint was acquired it actually got worse. Management "selects" certain employees and ignores all others when it comes to promotions, regardless of your "performance rating" (which is another joke). Yes, HR is just there to protect mgmt, even though management isn’t "people persons". The management style is make everyone laugh & "yes" them all, then backstab them when the door is closed; the definition of passive/aggressive. Compensation is NOT consistent, period. There are way too many people there making too much money and not contributing. On the contrary, there are people working extremely hard and not getting promoted/recognized. The effort by HR to get things in order is all smoke & mirrors. Everyone there is on pins and needles because at the end of the day, you’ll be in Alpharetta.

Advice to Management

C-lean house.
    A-rticulate middle management.
    N-otice the hard working/dedicated employees
    the ones that truly are the backbone.
    C-onsider bottom up evaluations, you'll be shocked.
    F-ind out what sub-management wants
    O-bserve the compensation across the org and actually DO something about it.

Smart people. No investment

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Very smart people
    Interesting projects and a good work environment

Cons

Limited investment in R&D will eventually lead to stagnation. Too many projects being undertaken simultaneously with no additional investment in resources.

Advice to Management

Stop cutting overhead and trust your employees to deliver on top line revenue goals.

When all you care about is the money and not the employees ....

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

I was an employee of a company LexisNexis acquired in late 2008. The message sent out to all the teams on both sides made perfect sense. "Take the best people, products, practices and policies of companies to blend together a perfect mix of everything that works." To0 bad it was all lip service and was only said to speed up the actual agenda. I put this as a "pros" because it seemed like they were actually going to make something epic out of the best the two companies had to offer. It seemed genuine. I was a 13 year veteran of the acquired company who participated and witnessed dozens of acquisitions that all went fairly smooth. Now on the other side of the coin it wasn't going so smooth any longer.

Cons

LexisNexis, like most big business, truly has only one group of people they choose to please. The Board of Directors and Shareholders. Now this is nothing new or bad in world of big business. The downside to LexisNexis is they are perfectly willing to slaughter the chicken for one good meal than to nurture it and have enough breakfast to go around for years to feed many people.

Instead of taking the best of both companies they simply purchased up the company, migrated over any customers they could, turned off our existing leading industry products with 15 years in service and dropped entire departments and divisions. All with little to no notice. 10 - 15 year employees and management we given no notice in most cases and escorted out the building with no notice at all. For a company that expects a 2 week notice if you plan on leaving they sure didn't follow this policy when it came time meet the maker for many.

I've tried to keep any of my own personal feelings from this review. This is a firsthand account of my experience working for the best company in the industry being acquired by LexisNexis and basically being walked out to the firing line for execution. At least they could have provided a blind fold.

Advice to Management

I think Reed Elsevier made a huge mistake by acquiring the two industry leading competitors in the field and letting the fist acquisition lead the effort to merge in the 2nd acquisition. Of course company 1 is going to side with it's own everything - people, products, policies, etc... We were competitors and even when on the same team we were treated as the competitor. We were not allowed to work on anything or know anything. It was the biggest eye opener I've lived through in the business world. I made many inquires with upper executive management in Reed and Lexis and was shot down at every turn and had every door I knocked on go unanswered. I expected so much more from a company the side of Reed Elsevier.

11. Not perfect, but who is? Great company to be in!

Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boca Raton, FL
    Current Employee - Senior Developer in Boca Raton, FL

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Great leadership
    Clear vision
    Good benefits
    Pay is above all others in this area
    Constant challenges, not a dull moment

Cons

Part of a bigger company... sometimes the bigger entity drags this group into the ground.
    Some of the recent people that came from another company are lazy and a bunch of winers, they can contaminate the rest

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing! We love the work, pressure can be up at times but that keeps us going and busy

RSS Feed </> Embed