LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Mike Walsh

56 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

VERY VERY UNPROFESSIONAL

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsNow a days it's hard to find a job, so the best reason is it's a job. They have good benefits.

ConsI have never worked anywhere were the moral is so bad, they have luncheon, or gathering to bring the moral up. A lunch or gathering is not solving the problem with the way they run the business. Hiring from the outside so they think outside the box is not solving anything, it's making things more difficult. the old saying don't fix it.... if it's ain't broken, well management broke it and can't fix it. very said.

Advice to Senior ManagementI have no advice for management because it's a waste of time. i've tried many of times to help save money for the company.

Positive

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsThe company provides to its employees a healthy work/life balance.

ConsToo many systems with inconsistent data.

Advice to Senior ManagementN/A

who you know not what you know

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Prosgood benefits, vacation time off

ConsNot a happy place to work. I had worked for LexisNexis for over 40 years and all i can say no communication. Certain Managers are still there because the lie and make it sound the department is making a difference and making money, so they laid high salary employees off so it looks as if they made their quotes.

Advice to Senior Managementbe more honest and open with your teams. Be fair.

Overall Positive Corporation

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsPension, health benefits, work-life balance, all excellent. Respect within senior level executives.

ConsToo many silos within marketing group, no formal single strategy shared across all groups

Advice to Senior ManagementListen to each level within the organization, not just from those who make themselves heard louder than others. Remove silos, believe in proj mgmt, and speak from one voice.

A Soul Sucking Place To Work

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsNon management employees are great. Real team atmosphere at that level. Everyone supports each other at that level. We joke around and get through the day together. (But then, the people hiding in air raid shelters in England while the Germans bombed London during WWII probably joked around too.) Paid time off is comparable to other businesses. Benefits are OK though not great.

ConsIncredibly stressful, unhappy atmosphere. Most people work in fear of losing their job each day. Constant veiled threats from management about outsourcing/layoffs/what will happen if we miss our (sometimes unrealistic) goals. Upper/middle management (VPs/directors/managers/some team leads) are a joke. New system put into place to "save time" takes more time than original system & does not work as intended. Management fails to recognize this & puts more pressure on employees to make it work (instead of scrapping it or fixing it) but does not account for extra demands on our time. Out of control with metrics. Need a metric to track amount of time spent compiling metrics. No actual correlation between metrics/goals/quotas and how they relate to business and what we do. Flat screen TVs around office could be used to motivate people in positive way but instead often carry negative messages and focus on what is going wrong instead of what is going right. People notice and it feeds the negativity in the office. Everyone seems so miserable most of the time and majority of people are constantly on lookout for new job. Management puts absolutely no emphasis on quality of work, it is all quantity and then they are shocked when customers are unhappy with products. Management does not value employees - not our work, our time, us as people, or the fact that we have lives outside of this place and would like to spend time with our families instead of working 24/7. Very unhealthy. Last winter there was a blizzard and state of emergency declared to keep people off roads. Management was angry many employees worked from home. We are expected to put our safety at risk even though many can do their jobs from home (which is why management feels outsourcing to India could work - but not OK for employees here to work from home when safety is at risk). Get with the times, telecommuting is an excellent perk for underpaid employees, especially when raises do not keep up with basic inflation and gas prices are rising fast. They recently renovated office from regular cubicles to open cubicles. While it is nice & clean & bright, it makes it difficult to concentrate/speak with customers on the phone. Many employees now basically have desks in aisle with people constantly walking by/chatting/etc. VERY distracting. I wonder why productivity suffers? Too bad there is no metric for that! Upper management all sit in offices & have no clue how difficult it is to focus in environment they have created for regular employees. Phil Livingston occasionally works out in open area among the masses. When that happens it is the quietest day ever in the office. Completely unrealistic representation of what it's really like to work in open environment like this. We do the work but get NO respect for it. They even took away our garbage cans! Now we just have recycling bins at our desks and have to get up to throw out each piece of trash. Nothing like a few more interruptions to mess with those metrics! Is the company really too cheap to leave a trash can AND a recycling can at each desk? Wow. Such a small thing that would make a big difference to employees. Pay level is pathetic and raises are a joke even for these tough economic times. There seems to be no opportunities for advancement but who would want to manage/lead a team in this company anyway? This is a place to ride out the recession. Huge turnover here with significant # of contractors instead of fulltime employees. LexisNexis should not be surprised by huge exodus of talent when job market improves. That is what happens when you treat people this way.

Advice to Senior ManagementActually listen to what employees are saying in anonymous surveys. Not one employee will tell you to your face what they really think because no matter how bad this place is it is still a job and we have bills to pay, so those surveys are the only time we're honest. Accept that you cannot quantify everything and start focusing on the quality of the products we provide. Our clients can get most of our products/services elsewhere and often for less money, so QUALITY of product & service should be how we differentiate ourselves as a brand. Stop just paying lip service to this and actually back it up for once. No wonder NPS is so terrible. It starts at the top and there's only so much the rest of us can do to fix things yet we are constantly thwarted in our attempts. In reality, improving NPS starts at the bottom and improves until it hits management. That is the problem. We are not treated as professionals and given any amount of latitude to make decisions/really help our customers. Change that. Stop micromanaging to metrics and let us do our jobs. You're just getting in your own way. People want fair compensation, to know our efforts are valued, and to not work in constant fear of losing our jobs. Management should go back to basics and treat people with respect and they might be surprised by results. And hey, would it kill you to keep org charts updated and easily accessible to employees? Email communications are too frequent/too long/poorly organized/riddled with confusing acronyms & corporate speak. Does anyone even read them? How about letting people telecommute more often to save $$ in this difficult economy and with rising gas prices?

Beware, Talent drain has diluted Loyalty and effectiveness to Execute Strategic Plan

Finance Lead (Former Employee)

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsPleasant work environment, dedicated workers, desire to 'do the right thing' and over good compensation plan.

ConsDisengaged Human Resources, multi-layer reporting from London to NY to Dayton to New Provedence office has most rank and file spinning their wheels on less than productive matters. Sales groups is hopelessly at mercy of unappreciative customer base which then leads to over promising. Third major change in senior mgt in NP in five years has totally eroded confidence and will to care, despite Rah-Rah regime in place currently. Last, sr. mgt totally unrealistic on margin plans, loves to shot the messenger - LexisNexis - NP; "Characters NOT wanted'.

Advice to Senior ManagementFind a realistic plan to guide margin growth. Listen to your field mgrs, stop with all the happy talk and "catch-phrases" of the day, that make the co. look silly in 12 months time.

Just a job

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsAble to work from home, flexible schedule

ConsLots of expectation for the salary

Advice to Senior ManagementSee potential and reward extra effort

Great company for benefits and working from home.

Client Development (Current Employee)

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsThe management allows home based employees

ConsTakes almost 6 months to get a custom web site processed.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people in order processing dept

Out of touch management

Account Manager (Former Employee)
New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsHome office is very nice. There are some great people at LexisNexis. I have made some great friends that will continue to be my friends outside of the company.

Cons- employees treated differently for the same job
- Sales management brings no value

I worked in both the commercial and government sales organizations within the Risk division. The company continues to change for the sake of changing. Most recently management has thought it would be a good idea to randomly give different Variable Compensation (VC) plans to employees who are doing the same job. Did they honestly think that we wouldn't figure this one out? Management has no clue how to keep good employees happy. They are leaving the company at an alarming rate. In 5 years in the same position, my territory changed each year, making it very difficult to get a handle on customers or actually complete larger deals with long sales cycles. Also, the only way to advance in the company is to play the "political game" and become a middle management "yes-man" who only sees things through rose-colored glasses.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to change the company for the sake of changing. Go back to what was working. Don't bring in a sales management team that is inexperienced in the space they are leading (ie, government). Unless I hear that this company is changing for the better, I would not even think of recommending LN as a place to work.

Eh... at best

Business Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

ProsMgt. provides ample oppoartunity to work from home, flex time, and the salaries here are better than other companies.

ConsThere is no sense that upper mgt. has a direction they are going in. There are twoo many products and not enough people. Then they fire everybody and move everything offshore and then point the finger at the remaining people that quality is not there. WAKE UP!

Advice to Senior ManagementHave some sort of direction. We seem to continue implemetn things that are so small and have no relevance to the users that are using our products. Stop micro-managing and purge out some of the stupid products that are not selling. In addition, there are WAYYYY to many chiefs and not enough Indians. Get rid of soem of the top heavy managers and have soem faith in the people you have hired to do the job right. Finally, get rid of offshoring. The quality sucks and the reqork is unesessary.

Prediction, Phil Livingston leaves in the next 6 months after making LexisNexis a profit since he fired everybody and went offshore.

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at LexisNexis Legal & Professional reviews and ratings in New York City, NY — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh. All 56 reviews posted anonymously by LexisNexis Legal & Professional employees.