LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews

Reset

Company in Transition

Current Employee - Data Steward in New Providence, NJ
    Current Employee - Data Steward in New Providence, NJ

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Transition is a good time to get new types of experience, and to start over with new relationships with upper management.

Cons

joint venture changes the culture of the company quite a bit, very pared down community involvement and team building which can be supported by the original umbrella but is not part of the joint venture effort

Advice to Management

See what can be taken from the original managing company that can boost moral during transition - support activities that keep energy high - they are not all things with a high financial cost outright, but loss of them may contribute to loss of productivity, with will affect bottom line.

can't keep up with the times

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lexis Nexis has a proud history and was truly a great company 10-15 years ago. At least according to the veterans on our team, there used to be a climate of innovation, collaboration, and building value for our paying customers and for society at large.

Cons

While this is a great legacy, it is no long applicable today. Today Lexis Nexis is struggling to survive, fighting changes on several fronts: - changing technology (everything is based on the internet) - changing values in our culture (people don't want to pay for information anymore) - regulation Today the company's primary concern isn't building value, it's preserving it. This means cutting costs no matter what the cost (no pun intended..) Teams are being outsourced, metrics are more important than ideas, and our teams are micromanaged. This results in an incredibly uncomfortable workplace where there isn't motivation or excitement.

Advice to Management

think about the long term future, not just about the next quarter's results.

Employees don't matter, only profit

Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Financial Analyst in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with LN for 2 years now, and I am confident saying that the company is only interested in bottom line financials.

Cons

Employees are only important when they bring value. If a division, team, or person's project is deemed to be not of value by upper management, the entire team can be laid off. More and more work is being outsourced to save costs, so this keeps most of the company on our toes as we wonder what the next division or position to be outsourced is.

Advice to Management

Take care of employees. We're the people who are building the company and working for you full time.

formerly a great company, now resistant to innovation; leadership is absent

Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Business Intelligence Analyst in New York, NY

Pros

LexisNexis was formerly a great company with an outstanding mandate and vision. As such, many employees have been around for a long time and are committed to that vision. These coworkers are great people from whom I have learned a lot. Working around GCS brings energy and is stimulating.

Cons

Company leadership is afraid to commit to a vision and long term strategy. The only interest is continuing to mine the traditional business models and there is an overall resistance to innovation. There is little job security as more and more positions are being outsourced unless your in sales or business development.

Advice to Management

Build long term value.

LexisNexis experiences

Current Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY
    Current Contractor - Senior Associate in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (More than 8 years)

Pros

Had an innovation tradition; A great brand name, well respected; A part of the bigger parent company. Decent benefit and good severance package.

Cons

Innovation seems now just legacy; very risk averse. Contribution not always recognized.

Advice to Management

Bonus/profit is not everything. Don't punish the growth business ---Respect growth products; Get the biz growing again.

Great people to work with! Good benefits.

Former Employee - Law Firm Marketing Specialist in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Law Firm Marketing Specialist in New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexibility, good benefits, "decent" products

Cons

Fulfillment of products (web based marketing products), customer service & support are awesome, but reliability of solutions being fulfilled not so great

Advice to Management

more marketing of products

15+ years company on rapid decline

Current Employee - Customer Support in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Customer Support in New York, NY

Pros

Time off, 401 k, business casual

Cons

senior mgt on a path regardless of input or outcome of projects. full speed ahead will crash and burn this once wonderful company

Advice to Management

stop, listen to the folks handling the work and customers. so much frustration from customers, in the end lexis will not flourish if we don't have customers that are happy with us and believe me they are not

9. Good Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in New York, NY

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid Brand Good Working environment

Cons

Merging with Internet Brands/could be layoffs soon

Advice to Management

good management teem/solid brands

disappointed in lack of leadership and innovative ideas.

Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Finance Manager in New York, NY

Pros

competitive salary and that is it.

Cons

boring. not a team feel. Long hours and little accolades.

Advice to Management

streamline work initiatives.

Missed opportunities, in desperate need of change of CEO

Former Employee - Legal & Professional Division in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Legal & Professional Division in New York, NY

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, good benefits. Can be very interesting work.

Cons

Long, long, long hours are the norm. Certain departments (Editorial) are in constant fear of layoffs. Layoffs never seem to get the true dead wood. The culture of layoffs and down-sizing does not bring out the best in the workforce. The general consensus is that Mike Walsh is very ill-suited to his job.

Advice to Management

Mike Walsh, please move on before you drive this business completely into the ground.

RSS Feed </> Embed