LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated December 3, 2014
2.7

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Pros
  • Other areas of the company allow more flexibility, better work life balance (in 73 reviews)

• Company was very flexible with people wanting to work from home (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Inept executive board and senior management attitude destroying a once-proud company (in 62 reviews)

• Upper management concerned only with short term revenue goals (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

A great place to work if you get in the right area

Current Employee - Print Specialist in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Print Specialist in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than an year)

Pros

It is a large company with a little bit of stability. They have a lot of room to grow if you work hard.

Cons

Management in certain areas can be tough here. If you land under the wrong group you could have a rough time with the company.

Former employee

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Was able to practice my trade for many years despite the work environment fostered by corporate management.

Cons

Local managers were unprofessional and cared little for the people reporting to them.

Great co-workers, just not an innovative company

Current Employee - Research Solutions Specialist in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Research Solutions Specialist in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

I loved my many years in sales here. Great managers, supportive teammates.

Cons

At the end of the day, the technology wasn't keeping up and I felt like I was working for a dying company.

Excellent Culture

Former Employee - Production Specialist in Bellevue, WA
    Former Employee - Production Specialist in Bellevue, WA

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great leadership and team culture. Co workers were great and very interesting work! Very good and gratifying training and team building events.

Cons

Not allot to say on the con side of things, I think smart coders and SQL gurus do not always make for good managers of people. I needed more opportunity for growth.

When promoting look for people skills. You are only going to be as good as the people you develop and surround yourself with.

Overall good company to work for

Current Employee - Lexis Nexis Large Law
    Current Employee - Lexis Nexis Large Law

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Work-life balance; alot of independence with how to structure your accounts/opportunities in your territory.

Cons

lay offs are constant, organizational changes occur on a very frequent basis

Laid back environment with strong emphasis on work/life balance

Current Employee - Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Software Engineer

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

I feel never overwhelmed here. I find it very easy to get help from the team, and most of us have a positive attitude. They are not strict about what time you come in or what time you leave, and you can work from home for just about any reason. People who have to take time off usually get the time off as well, and again, for any reason. The work life balance is so strong that I could see it giving people a new sense of entitlement. They do not micromanage either. Just do your job, make sure you are available during the meetings, and put your best foot forward.

Cons

The work pace is a little too slow for me. The worklife balance is shifted too far on life for me as well. I do feel under-utilized. Sometimes I have to wait days for other team-members from around the world to finish something just so I can continue working on it. I personally find the slow-paced environment a hinderance and am afraid I'll get a sense of entitlement that does not exist in any other company.

Keep up the good work

Good jobs, hit-and-miss management

Former Employee - Sales
    Former Employee - Sales

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Generally a good company, with good products and good income potential

Cons

Some misguided management. They repeatedly invest in the wrong parts of their CRM and it's useless...no it's worse, it's a detriment to most users. And there's some disconnect between upper management and the "street" - so if your middle manager is good, it's OK, but if the middle manager just does whatever upper management wants, it interferes with getting things done.

I know it's painful, but you need to either completely pull the plug on the CRM, or put someone else in charge of it and make it functional for your customer-facing reps. It's not even close, and missing BASIC capabilities.

The company is a good company to get a broad experience

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

Lots of ways to learn different parts of the company. Can expand across all departments

Cons

Hierarchial management - employees are too afraid to make their own decisions without someone above them approving it.

Empower your people

A great place to get experience; maybe not best for a long-term career

Pros

Generally speaking, LexisNexis is a meritocracy. If you demonstrate that you can can do a job, you can get the job. With some exceptions, the best usually rise to the top.

Cons

Constant threat of layoffs and organizational churn. You can be put out on the street even though your work has been superb, just because the business org has changed.

Employees should be better compensated for the level of risk they are taking on by working at this company.

It was great and very rewarding.

Former Employee - Human Resources
    Former Employee - Human Resources

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

The people, LexisNexis Cares, Career Opportunities, Visibility to Senior Management

Cons

None that rise to a significant level.

Stay the course.