LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated October 15, 2014
2.6

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Pros
  • Other areas of the company allow more flexibility, better work life balance (in 71 reviews)

• Company was very flexible with people wanting to work from home (in 49 reviews)

Cons
  • Inept executive board and senior management attitude destroying a once-proud company (in 62 reviews)

• Upper management concerned only with short term revenue goals (in 53 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Benefits

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, good colleagues. Large organization

Cons

Layoffs, management referred to as Dinosaurs in the organization

Focus on a innovation and rewarding performance, rather than nepotism

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent restuarant (Miamisburg). Close to home. Friendly geese in the carpark. Clean restrooms. Nice lady at the security desk. Good for a laugh.

Cons

Dark, grubby, work environment. Slow and out of date computing equipment. Terrible terrible management. I can't stress this enough. Management is terrible. If you are so desperate for a job that you have no choice then consider changing careers, waiting tables. Anything but working here. The ship is sinking. Everybody knows it. Except management who exist in a large bubble full of ego and arrogance.

We could give the greatest advice but they wouldn't take any notice. IT management from the top down should be sacked. "Valuing our people" is the company slogan. Utter, utter rubbish. They value paperclips more. Get out while you can...

A company with nearly unlimited potential being run into the ground

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, good to great pay, generally great benefits (although they've been slowly decreasing over the last several years), a lot of diverse technologies and platforms to work on (also could be a con). A lot of very bright and great coworkers.

Cons

Nothing but reorganizations with continual layoffs (often of some of the best, brightest, and most experienced folks) for the last 3 - 5 years (some might say even longer than that). I believe some of the leadership has good vision but is hampered by the senior leadership (CEO/CTO/CFO) from being able to execute on that vision so there's constant back and forth that is demoralizing to say the least. Since I've been gone, there have already been a few reorganizations (again) within the company, and one of them was a major reorg. Crazy considering that I left as a part of a major reorganization that was supposed to fix everything. But that's the problem right there -- instead of actually figuring out the real problem and tackling it, no matter how painful, senior leadership thinks they can replace one or more of the sub-leaders (various VP's and senior VP's), reorganize the department, and fix all the problems. Senior leadership has been using this approach for several years and it hasn't worked yet! When will they figure out that they're a part of the problem? I do think there needs to be a reorganization -- Reed Elsevier (parent company) needs to reorganize LexisNexis by replacing senior leadership (CEO, CTO, and CFO). Only then will the company even have a chance of surviving. Although I was offered multiple positions when my position/department was eliminated, the only way I would consider working at LexisNexis again, short of some ridiculous offer, would be if senior leadership was changed since they have been in place for several years and have continued to just make things worse and worse. The only thing the current senior leadership is concerned with is the bottom line profits. So while they continue to cut expenses (mostly by cutting people), they are actually making the problem worse by removing the ability for the product teams to add any real value to the products for their customers. The only folks left barely have the time to just maintain the products and often don't have a very good understanding of what they're doing. That's because all of the most experienced folks seem to be the ones that are let go or who leave on their own because they see that they're on a dead-end path.

At one point in time I would have said something to the effect of, "Wake up." But at this point the only thing that I think will help is for you to just move on. Not only would it be the best thing for the company, but it would probably even be better for you since you would no longer have the stress of trying to keep the company's bottom line looking decent so you don't get fired.

Prognosis Negative.

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

First class benefits and compensation. Good people for the most part. Decent but dwindling facilities.

Cons

Like many information industries, the legal research industry is facing tremendous challenges from the open web with the additional complication that legal services has become a buyers market. LN's response has been unintegrated acquisitions in the workflow space (which has low barriers to entry and aping Thomson Reuters.

.Dwindling revenues have, of course, led to political infighting beaucoup, thereby limiting management's ability to respond to changes in the market. Oh, and HR, if you can find them has become the handmaiden of senior management.

I'm defining management as C-level executives.
    Here's my advice:
    First: Climb out of the bunker.
    Second: in the name of all that's decent, resign.
    Dear New Management:
    First: Stop the reorg madness. If you have trust across the organization and a coherent strategy, it doesn't matter what your structure is. If you don't have it, it doesn't matter what your structure is.
    Second: Recognize that technology and most content are commodities. What really matters is premium exclusive content and world class customer service.

Like watching a slow-motion trainwreck

Former Employee - Customer Support in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

+ Benefits are still okay, though being cut gradually every year.
    + Serious commitment to charity.

Cons

- Like working for a government bureaucracy, but without the job security: 2/3 of the Customer Support group has either been outsourced to the Phillippines, or has quit due to the miserable working conditions, low morale, and few growth opportunities.
    - Poorly-designed products that crash or otherwise fail frequently.
    - Shockingly incompetent management, top down -- playing out the clock as the company keeps sliding downhill -- paying lip service to employee input, though too insecure in their ignorance to act on it -- totally occupied with time-wasting "busy work" in order to justify how ridiculously top-heavy the company is.
    - If the parent company, Reed Elsevier, were a human parent, Protective Services would step in and charge them with severe neglect.

Running a successful company takes more than the MBAs and Six Sigma certifications you have: It takes industry knowledge and experience, common sense, and humility. Unfortunately, you only have what you read in the books. And, thanks to the poor economy, you are too desperate to leave. If it's not too late to stabilize the company for the longterm, you are not competent to make it happen.

It was Great at first, The supervisor seemed to have everything under control…Boy was I wrong!

Current Employee - Mail Clerk in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Mail Clerk in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

- Good Experience
    - Great way to get computer skills up
    - Law offices use the same software

Cons

- Bad Manager
    - No way to grow with the company
    - Can not go up the ladder, unless you move to Georgia

Get better managers and make sure they are fully qualified for the job. Make sure they know how to talk to people!!!

Used to be a nice place to work but has changed greatly in the last 2 years.

Current Employee - Training Consultant in Dayton, OH
    Current Employee - Training Consultant in Dayton, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

My coworkers made the work fun and enjoyable. My current managers are great and encourage us to do our best. They don't make things hard for us if we make a mistake. They help us work through the issue and find ways to solve the situation so the issues so surface again.

Cons

Jobs started moving offshore and developing skills for those employees. They have done major layoffs in the last 4 years. The employees that are left have to do more with less assistance and resources. It has become a very stressful environment and the motivation for the long term employees is no longer there. People just don't have the drive they had before and just come to work because they have no choice.

Management should work to even the playing field for offshore and US Employees. Give us the resources we need to successfully do our jobs. When promising to create more jobs and flexibility, do what you say and not just make empty promises. We have lost too many good employees due to empty promises.

Save Yourselves - This is a Sinking Ship!

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Providence, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Providence, NJ

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Non-management level employees work well and have a true team culture. People are very supportive of each other and are willing to go the extra mile to ensure goals are met.

Cons

-Constant turnover in upper management of Web Ops department. Each new VP or Director comes in with "new" ideas that are really just the same ideas from two managers ago. Management all shocked when those "new" ideas fail. They were really just rearranging the deck chairs on the titanic.
    -Constant threat of layoffs and outsourcing of jobs.
    -HR practically non-existent.
    -Open floor plan makes it very difficult to conduct client calls since a) people around you are always on phone with their clients and b) people are always walking by and talking amongst themselves. These factors directly impact productivity.

-Choose a direction and stick with it. Give middle management the support they need, and revamp the company culture so employees feel like their contributions are valued.
    -Position LN as the thought leader in legal marketing and own the strong reputation it has had for so many years. Then price accordingly. You'll be amazed at how much easier it is to make money when you stop undercharging.
    -Stop giving HUGE salaries to CEOs and other execs who in reality contribute very little and who rarely have any experience in this industry.

Horrible place to work.

Current Employee - Sales
    Current Employee - Sales

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Teammates help pick up slack because management is either too stupid or too lazy or both to do so.

Cons

Too many to list here.

Resign, quit or retire and let some new blood take over. You've been there too long, you don't know how to use basic technology and you have no new ideas to help improve sales.

Declining company with no long term goal or vision.

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Majority of staff friendly, smart and good to work with, decent environment, pay and benefits.

Cons

Upper management concerned only with short term revenue goals. Will do anything for short term results which has impacted long term vision and health of company.

Leaders do not lead and are not held responsible their decisions. Staff cannot succeed when management is not clear on whst they want and constanty changes directions. Providing what one was asked to do may get you reorged out and speaking up may do the same.

Determine long term company goal and vision. Provide clear consistent information. Stop cutting staff and doing reorganizations -Lead!

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Photos