LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews

Employment Status

Reset

Sales

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

Big company benefits, lots of structure and nice people.

Cons

Too much office politics and unnecessary processes.

Advice to Management

Listen to employee's feedback

32+ Years down the drain

Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager
    Former Employee - Regional Sales Manager

Pros

Travel internationally, good co-workers.

Cons

Laid off after more than 32 years with the company. Always met/exceeded sales goals but thats not what really matters. Took me over a year and a half to find another job at my age. Absolutely no ethical perspective.

Advice to Management

Retire

Content Specialist

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

Great team, collaborative, something new everyday.

Cons

Can be difficult to get the ear of anyone who isn't in your immediate daily orbit.

Not ideal for entry level, probably great otherwise

Former Employee - Legislative Database Analyst in Sacramento, CA
    Former Employee - Legislative Database Analyst in Sacramento, CA

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

(1) Amazing coworkers. Company definitely attempts to create a strong company culture (e.g. monthly celebrations, picnics, holiday party.) (2) Management attempts to have open communication with employees. (3) Flexible hours (4) Brand name. The professional world knows the company. (I think it helped me get my current job)

Cons

(1) Nonexistent professional development outside of job description. If you will be trained to do your job--if you're even trained to do your job. (2) Mediocre compensation (at best). Company insists it pays competitive wages. I was told I could not receive a raise until my end of year evaluation because I'm paid a competitive salary and then 4-5 months after that conversation someone was offered a higher starting salary for the same position. (3) Questionable company performance. Company performed poorly last year, resulting in lower merit raises.Outsourcing to the Philippines. Don't think it will lead to layoff, but it definitely changes the the job descriptions as lower skill tasks are sent overseas. (4) Stressful jobs. From personal experience and observation, there are very few mid-level management and below positions that aren't stressful. It definitely shaped my long term view of the company because I don't want to move up and become manager one day and have to deal with how stressful it is to be manager. (5) Difficult work-life balance. A significant amount of the jobs here outside of client services involve delegating workflow to other people. This means hoping that when you come in the next day, things are done in an expected way. Similarly, a lot of the work depends on automation that does not always work...making work flow unpredictable. You might go home and not be working, but there will definitely be a few passing thoughts about it...or maybe a few texts or phone calls to coworkers asking for updates or fixes.

Advice to Management

From my experience, I think there's a fundamental disconnect between how management and I view the relationship between an employee and an employer. I think there has to be a compelling answer to this question: What does an employee gain from working in an entry level position for an additional year? LN did not have a compelling answer to that question for me. I'm not at all above spending 2 or 3 years in a position that doesn't pay a salary I am comfortable with as long as spending time in that position leads to something. You can't expect people to do the same thing every day, learn absolutely nothing new, and know that they won't be moving up any time soon or be paid more AND still want to show up to work the next day. It leads to unhappy employees and a horrible employee retention policy.

6. Associate and Social Media Specialist

Pros

Very flexible, interesting and fun job.

Cons

Unfortunately, it is for a limited time.

Territory manager

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company - Good Mangers

Cons

Goals are not on point

Great company perks - too many changes

Current Employee - Sales Executive
    Current Employee - Sales Executive

Pros

Good pay Great benefits Opportunity for advancement

Cons

Constant change - changes to territories, management, etc. Lots of pressure Demanding job - high expectations for you to be available at all hours Products don't always meet the market's needs

9. n/a

Pros

wonderful work environment. People are quiet.

Cons

I don't really have any cons.

Good work-life balance, low salaries

Current Employee - Coordinating Editor in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Coordinating Editor in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

If you can find a position at this company that you love, you'll be happy working for LexisNexis. They have a good support infrastructure for home-based employees, good time-off policy and they try to foster a friendly, supportive working environment.

Cons

There aren't many opportunities to grow personally or get promoted, most career moves are probably lateral. The worst is the compensation offered. I can only speak for editorial positions, but there are no bonuses and you will only get your regular 2.5% increase annually (as long as you meet your PDP expectations). It's disappointing but the flexibility and autonomy of the job outweigh the cons. The training and skill-improvement offerings leave a lot to be desired. The courses in the internal catalog of "learning" are terribly out of date and I get the impression employees are left to their own devices to improve their skills and knowledge. The other thing that's gone downhill is their health insurance. The high-deductible health plan is now mandatory for all US employees. The only choice you have is between a high deductible and a very high deductible. For a healthy person who only requires minimal doctor office visits and a prescription or two, this is very expensive as you never have a chance to meet your deductible and have to pay all your expenses out of pocket. They do contribute to your HSA which may just about cover your medical expenses if you're careful enough.

One bad boss can ruin an entire career

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance, and most of the people are smart, hard-working, friendly, and collaborative. Most managers and directors try to do their jobs well.

Cons

The company is less interested in telecommuting than it used to be. Also, if you have the bad luck to work for a vindictive manager or director, even briefly, your career could be over.

Advice to Management

Don't let the occasional uninspired, shallow lower or mid-level manager ruin your ability to attract and keep talent. Have a better review or grievance process and take 360 reviews and pulse surveys more seriously.

RSS Feed </> Embed