LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Updated December 3, 2014
2.7

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh
Mike Walsh

Pros
  • Other areas of the company allow more flexibility, better work life balance (in 73 reviews)

• Company was very flexible with people wanting to work from home (in 51 reviews)

Cons
  • Inept executive board and senior management attitude destroying a once-proud company (in 62 reviews)

• Upper management concerned only with short term revenue goals (in 54 reviews)

More Highlights

Going downhill fast

Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer
    Current Employee - Consulting Software Engineer

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

LexisNexis has great benefits and compensation. The culture in many of their satellite offices is casual and what you would expect for an IT company in this day and age. Their home campus in Dayton is more business casual.

Cons

LexisNexis is losing money at an astronomical rate and as such they are cutting corners wherever they can in order to keep in their parent company Reed Elsevier's good graces. That includes laying off critical staff, outsourcing and offshoring development and QA, and closing offices. They put all of their eggs (as well as their capital) in one basket with their Lexis Advance product, and it has unfortunately been an utter failure. They are scrambling and paying dearly for it now. This used to be a great place to work, but I cannot in good conscience recommend employment here to anyone now.

Get back to your roots with regards to staff. Embrace the online digital "free" information culture. Value and respect your employees like you used to.

It's not what it used to be.

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional

Pros

Good pay, benefits and people. Flexible work schedules to accommodate life's little necessities. The work was always fairly distributed, and you felt valued.

Cons

Culture has taken a turn, and cuts are constant. There are too few people to do the work of so many. Either people are getting cut or they're leaving on their own. It wasn't this way five years ago.

Words are nice, but sincerity behind those words speaks volumes.

Marketing

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

You can skate by for years before they realize they should fire you. Sadly this is the only good thing I can come up with.

Cons

Every year they cut more and more positions then preach how they "Care about their people". Seriously behind the curve when it comes to everything. They often resort to strategies that competitors used years ago. There is saying that goes around the office "We can't get out of our own way"

Good Company.....But tough to commit a career to.....too many 'Strategic Reversals'

Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Sales in Boston, MA

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good co-workers.....high quality people.....excellent Camaraderie.

Cons

Too often, LN seems to not know who or what they are trying to be in the marketplace.......During my experience working there (10+ years) they bounced between being an 'Information provider' to wanting to be 'a technology solutions provider'.......and never seemed to do either as well as their competitors.

Make a decision on what the company is......be good at it......and STICK with it!

Like living the final hours of the Titanic over and over for months.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than an year)

Pros

The opportunity to work on the worst products in the market.

Constant layoffs.

Not having to worry about meeting any goals.

Be entertained at release meetings by senior managers presenting drug induced alternate reality views of the market.

Live The White Man's Burden as you hear senior mangers tell you about how the happy, smiling dark skinned people in the Philippines sing songs for you as you offshore jobs.

Cons

Let me tell you how bad this place is. LexisNexis does an annual employee survey. One of the questions is whether we would recommend working there to a friend. As you can see from the reviews here, no one is recommending to their FRIENDS LexisNexis as a place to work.

The company's response was to tie our bonus to improving the organization's score on that question. In other words, we have to lie on our surveys to get more bonus money.

That's is how the company is run now. Financial gimmicks. It is the most mismanaged company I have ever encountered. Most companies have islands of mismanagement where the incompetents congregate together. In LexisNexis, EVERYTHING is mismanaged: HR, CDI (customer testing), Product, Marketing, GTO (IT)--it is just an all around circus.

For the benefit of LexisNexis: Gives yourselves a good severance package and LEAVE!

For the benefit of everyone else: Stay where you are and keep doing what you are doing.

Great Benefits

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great Benefits, good colleagues. Large organization

Cons

Layoffs, management referred to as Dinosaurs in the organization

Focus on a innovation and rewarding performance, rather than nepotism

Terrible place to work

Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Miamisburg, OH
    Current Employee - Senior IT Architect in Miamisburg, OH

I have been working at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Decent restuarant (Miamisburg). Close to home. Friendly geese in the carpark. Clean restrooms. Nice lady at the security desk. Good for a laugh.

Cons

Dark, grubby, work environment. Slow and out of date computing equipment. Terrible terrible management. I can't stress this enough. Management is terrible. If you are so desperate for a job that you have no choice then consider changing careers, waiting tables. Anything but working here. The ship is sinking. Everybody knows it. Except management who exist in a large bubble full of ego and arrogance.

We could give the greatest advice but they wouldn't take any notice. IT management from the top down should be sacked. "Valuing our people" is the company slogan. Utter, utter rubbish. They value paperclips more. Get out while you can...

A company with nearly unlimited potential being run into the ground

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible, good to great pay, generally great benefits (although they've been slowly decreasing over the last several years), a lot of diverse technologies and platforms to work on (also could be a con). A lot of very bright and great coworkers.

Cons

Nothing but reorganizations with continual layoffs (often of some of the best, brightest, and most experienced folks) for the last 3 - 5 years (some might say even longer than that). I believe some of the leadership has good vision but is hampered by the senior leadership (CEO/CTO/CFO) from being able to execute on that vision so there's constant back and forth that is demoralizing to say the least. Since I've been gone, there have already been a few reorganizations (again) within the company, and one of them was a major reorg. Crazy considering that I left as a part of a major reorganization that was supposed to fix everything. But that's the problem right there -- instead of actually figuring out the real problem and tackling it, no matter how painful, senior leadership thinks they can replace one or more of the sub-leaders (various VP's and senior VP's), reorganize the department, and fix all the problems. Senior leadership has been using this approach for several years and it hasn't worked yet! When will they figure out that they're a part of the problem? I do think there needs to be a reorganization -- Reed Elsevier (parent company) needs to reorganize LexisNexis by replacing senior leadership (CEO, CTO, and CFO). Only then will the company even have a chance of surviving. Although I was offered multiple positions when my position/department was eliminated, the only way I would consider working at LexisNexis again, short of some ridiculous offer, would be if senior leadership was changed since they have been in place for several years and have continued to just make things worse and worse. The only thing the current senior leadership is concerned with is the bottom line profits. So while they continue to cut expenses (mostly by cutting people), they are actually making the problem worse by removing the ability for the product teams to add any real value to the products for their customers. The only folks left barely have the time to just maintain the products and often don't have a very good understanding of what they're doing. That's because all of the most experienced folks seem to be the ones that are let go or who leave on their own because they see that they're on a dead-end path.

At one point in time I would have said something to the effect of, "Wake up." But at this point the only thing that I think will help is for you to just move on. Not only would it be the best thing for the company, but it would probably even be better for you since you would no longer have the stress of trying to keep the company's bottom line looking decent so you don't get fired.

Prognosis Negative.

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time

Pros

First class benefits and compensation. Good people for the most part. Decent but dwindling facilities.

Cons

Like many information industries, the legal research industry is facing tremendous challenges from the open web with the additional complication that legal services has become a buyers market. LN's response has been unintegrated acquisitions in the workflow space (which has low barriers to entry and aping Thomson Reuters.

.Dwindling revenues have, of course, led to political infighting beaucoup, thereby limiting management's ability to respond to changes in the market. Oh, and HR, if you can find them has become the handmaiden of senior management.

I'm defining management as C-level executives.
    Here's my advice:
    First: Climb out of the bunker.
    Second: in the name of all that's decent, resign.
    Dear New Management:
    First: Stop the reorg madness. If you have trust across the organization and a coherent strategy, it doesn't matter what your structure is. If you don't have it, it doesn't matter what your structure is.
    Second: Recognize that technology and most content are commodities. What really matters is premium exclusive content and world class customer service.

Like watching a slow-motion trainwreck

Former Employee - Customer Support in Miamisburg, OH
    Former Employee - Customer Support in Miamisburg, OH

I worked at LexisNexis Legal & Professional full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

+ Benefits are still okay, though being cut gradually every year.
    + Serious commitment to charity.

Cons

- Like working for a government bureaucracy, but without the job security: 2/3 of the Customer Support group has either been outsourced to the Phillippines, or has quit due to the miserable working conditions, low morale, and few growth opportunities.
    - Poorly-designed products that crash or otherwise fail frequently.
    - Shockingly incompetent management, top down -- playing out the clock as the company keeps sliding downhill -- paying lip service to employee input, though too insecure in their ignorance to act on it -- totally occupied with time-wasting "busy work" in order to justify how ridiculously top-heavy the company is.
    - If the parent company, Reed Elsevier, were a human parent, Protective Services would step in and charge them with severe neglect.

Running a successful company takes more than the MBAs and Six Sigma certifications you have: It takes industry knowledge and experience, common sense, and humility. Unfortunately, you only have what you read in the books. And, thanks to the poor economy, you are too desperate to leave. If it's not too late to stabilize the company for the longterm, you are not competent to make it happen.

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Photos