LexisNexis Legal & Professional

LexisNexis Legal & Professional Reviews

Updated Jul 29, 2014

LexisNexis Legal & Professional CEO Mike Walsh

Mike Walsh

Pros
  • Family-oriented culture which gives way to a satisfying work-life balance (in 67 reviews)

• Company was very flexible with people wanting to work from home (in 48 reviews)

Cons
  • Inept executive board and senior management attitude destroying a once-proud company (in 61 reviews)

• Lack of leadership from upper management and lack of clear direction for my particular BU (in 50 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Place to Work

Manager, Communications (Former Employee) Dayton, OH

ProsThe people and the benefits.

ConsLeadership rotates like clockwork every 2 years. Spends time creating churn for their interests and leaves after disaster strikes. Rinse and repeat.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop hiring the shiny new coin and go with people who are loyal (promote from within) and who genuinely care about the future of the business.

Great experience, great company

Account Executive (Former Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsProfessional, hard working people who are easy to collaborate with and more than willing to help you build internal networks (important when you come to LN via an acquisition). Great sales coaching, training, etc. LN values its sales team and is committed to giving the necessary tools to succeed. Provide an important service to their customers and take community involvement, giving back, etc., seriously.

ConsThe legal research industry as a whole is changing and LN is no different. That's not necessarily a bad thing though since just as many doors are opened as they are closed.

Advice to Senior ManagementThank you for investing so much in my professional sales growth and training.

Good people but constant restructuring / layoffs

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) New York, NY

ProsSome really good and smart people. Pay is pretty good/competitive

ConsConstant restructuring and layoffs; lots of processes to get approvals from multiple layers including parent company which makes things move painstakingly slow

Advice to Senior ManagementNeed to create a more stable environment

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very good company to work with

Lead (Current Employee) New York, NY

Pros* Work culture is good
    * Salary is good
    * Environment is positive
    * Benefits are great

ConsI do not see any cons yet..

Good While it Lasted

Legal Marketing Consultant (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsGreat training. Good money for the work involved.

ConsMajor changes to org structure every year. New manager every year. No consistency.
    Major changes to territories every year. Affected relationships you had with customers.

A lot of wonderful, talented people work there, but leadership is inconsistent.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGood benefits, including some telecommuting opportunities and allowances for paying bar dues (if you're a lawyer), office supplies (if you're home based), etc. Good work-life balance, and there are some very talented, collaborative, engaging people working in all areas.

ConsBusiness needs and strategies change frequently, so it's difficult to plan or get momentum going. Also, budgets can change suddenly. The focus on professional growth at times seems more like lip-service.

To big and divided for success

Analyst (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsFlexible on PTO depending on department

Cons"Us vs. them" internal mentality. Too much political bickering over trivial things such as dress code in non-customer facing roles. Unannounced layoffs.Too much preaching innovation without action and investment. It's a corporate game with too many managers trying to build their own portfolios.

Advice to Senior ManagementChange yourself before trying to change the company.

Vision or Vision less

Leadership (Former Employee) Raleigh, NC

ProsThe company has solid benefits, and good people who want to do their best and work hard. The compensation is competitive.

ConsDysfunctional at best. Lack of clarity. Management managing only up. Absolutely no management support to drive improvement in process, communication, culture and clarity of roles in this broken matrixed organization. Some areas have support while others are overworked and stressed. Mostly comes from lack of clear vision from local leadership and management team. Budgets are tight and constantly looking to cut to meet numbers without really investing which the claim they are doing for the products and customers. Declining revenues while still saying that they will double, recent track record proves otherwise. In ability to successfully launch new initiatives i.e. software. primarily because they have not properly assessed market needs. Development lacks customer voice. Product teams are stuck in group think.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop managing to the stock price! Get back to basics and get back in the trenches with your teams. "You can't manage what you can't measure" often said but rarely followed, especially with a hodge podge of broken old clunky tools that are clearly not integrated. More importantly management needs to get back to work discovering what problems your organization actually has vs. being in meetings all day (You can't manage when you're not there, involved, and actively listening to your employees/customers). Invest in your people, listen. Stop changing direction QUARTERLY.

No Growth at Raleigh Location

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee) Cary, NC

ProsSomewhat flexible. Depending upon group, you might get some work.

ConsDayton GTO wants to control power, treats Raleigh location as a satellite office. They don't give any room for promotion, no decision making power.

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you truly want to make this a global company, fire every one in GTO and start a fresh.

50/50 chance

Manager Sales (Former Employee)

Prosdecent to good pay for the amount of hours you actually do work
    benefit options are plentiful
    travel opportunities exist at least 4 times a year
    great team mates

ConsSenior and middle management aloof and doesn't communicate well
    lack of clear strategy to follow
    very near-sighted views and approach on the revenue / profit side
    product isn't the best it could be
    employee expense reimbursement cumbersome (need a degree to file an expense report - takes an entire day to fill out an expense report)

Advice to Senior Managementtoo many shake ups and shake downs lead to low morale
    communicate the long view and layout a clear path to achieve it
    make it simpler to get employee expenses reimbursed
    communicate more!

Worked for LexisNexis Legal & Professional? Contribute to the Community!