www.lexmark.com
Employer Engaged

Time to move

Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Contractor - Senior Software Engineer in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Lexmark as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

Excellent fun loving work environment, casual clothes & language.
    Flexible hours ( based on your manager & team).
    Book clubs and discussion groups, people willing to grow.
    All employees are fairly accessible but unhealthy competition is on rise.

Cons

Sudden layoffs & high attrition. All people who can find jobs elsewhere are slowly leaving the sinking boat before their day comes.
    Contracted workers for for over 10 year, without any growth opportunity and dismissal pay hike.
    Not many other career opportunities in the Lexington area.
    Veteran developers, fairly recently move in to agile, most people effectively work less than 4 hours per day. Lot of time people email or "check in" code at odd times (9 PM - 4 AM) just to show how hard they work.
    Firmware teams consider all other teams as low life, management hardly believes in the solution / print services products. Printer market is on downward spiral, everybody is waiting for hell to freeze over.

Many people were laid off ( not just from inkjet division ) when management clearly said no layoffs and was in hiring ( more contractors) mode. It is now hard to trust managers and every one thinks that Lexmark is going down in less than 10 years once all the vendor - laser contracts expires. Lot of 'average' performers / new contract hires from many teams were laid off while those close to management were retained. The software solutions (document management) that Lexmark is pursuing is not used internally, other companies have already failed in print services. Management has lost focus heard that they want to enter market of Unstructured Device Management ( health care sector ), another hiring and firing round.

Never received a raise

Former Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Support Technician in Austin, TX

I worked at Lexmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Job wasn't too bad. Worked with fun people.

Cons

6 years and never received a raise despite being a top performer. When I threatened to leave my boss's boss came to town and asked me to stay. Couldn't offer me more money just asked me to stay.

I understand the company has had hard times. There was a hiring freeze in effect pretty much the whole time I was there but find someway to reward the exceptional employees.

Great Company

Former Employee - Inkjet Division in Lexington-Fayette, KY
    Former Employee - Inkjet Division in Lexington-Fayette, KY

I worked at Lexmark full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Overall everyting is great! Pay, Culture and Benefits. Provides a lot of career development opportunities to grow professionally

Cons

Company has been going through downsizing for many years. Anyone looking to get a job with this company should be aware if your looking for stability this is not the best time to get on board. They have reduced their workforce so much but then turn around and hire through temp agencies. Many people complain about never feeling like an equal employee when hired in through Adecco or another contracting company. Like they hold the carrot of being hired and never do. I on the other hand was hired in years ago as a Lexmark employee and never felt as if I was not a true employee.

When you are communicating your plans to lay off hundreds of people in a meeting, it's probably not the best time to say oh yeah by the way we just hired "so and so" and they come to Lexmark from from XX company. Maybe look from within the company at employees who are going to be Laid off or commuicate the layoff and the new hires at a different time.

Great for a laid-back summer, but that's about all...

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark full-time (less than a year)

Pros

- Stress-free work environment (student expectations are low)
    - No one was hostile and people were generally friendly if you got to know them
    - Kentucky has a low cost of living
    - Paid housing for Interns
    - Great place to settle down if you're ready to start a family and want a job where you can just do 9 to 5 and spend time with your family.
    - I'm going to say a lot of negative things below, but in all fairness there are a ton of great people at the company who actually do care about their profession and what they build, but unfortunately the negatives outweighed the positives in my opinion.

Cons

- Work environment is extremely isolating (everyone works in cubicles with floor to ceiling walls - it's torture for an extrovert)
    - Departments don't talk to one another
    - Employees don't talk to one another (extremely anti-social environment at times)
    - Inferior product is produced regularly (I can't tell you how many times I heard "well it's not my problem" or "I'll let the BIOS team handle it")
    - Pay is terrible and insulting for an engineering intern despite Kentucky's very low cost of living and the paid housing. I knew graduate students from Ivy League schools interning here who were making less than $20 an hour. Consequently they didn't work hard and had no problem producing inferior product. It was very demotivating to see.
    - Also, Lexmark hires contractors to cut costs but keeps these people as contractors for long periods of time. I've heard of people being contractors for 10+ years with the company. Personally I find this unethical. Similarly to the intern pay situation mentioned above, I saw contractors being paid very low wages, producing low quality solutions, and doing things like watching The Price is Right for an hour every day on company time. Again, it was very demotivating to see this.
    - The average age of the workforce is probably 40. It's hard to make friends/find younger people in the company. Like I said, great place to work if you want to settle down and just want stable work...
    - Well actually Lexmark isn't doing so well financially so I don't know how stable that work is going to be in the near future... I give them 10 more years (max) until the majority of their earnings come from companies they acquire.
    - An internship here could be very lonely if you don't socialize with other interns and depending on when you're down there interns are far and few to come by. Summer is their busiest time of the year in terms of student population, and honestly if you're down there any time other than the summer you're not going to have fun. I was told by multiple people who co-oped during the spring that it was the most depressing moment of their lives. They aren't coming back.
    - In fact, only two or three interns I know here who don't live in Lexington are going to be coming back next summer.

It seems like management makes every decision based on how much money it will either save or make. I get it you run a business, but why don't you put product, ideas, and people first? Pay your people well, destroy the isolating floor-to-ceiling walls that your engineers are stuffed into, and create a culture of responsibility and innovation.

Also stop ensuring employees that "printing is not dead" at meetings. It's dead. It's been dead for a long time too. Not one single intern owns a printer, doesn't that say something? Seriously though, pay your interns better, get rid of the useless people who are just dead weight, pay the good people really well, and demand excellence from everyone.

Good place but could be so much more.

Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Industrial Designer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Good life work balance. Low stress.

Cons

Too many decisions are based solely on cost.

Design needs to have a Director or VP level representation to have a real effect on the organization.

Good

Former Employee - Software Developer in Louisville, KY
    Former Employee - Software Developer in Louisville, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

Good place to start career

Cons

Not much growth opportunities in this area other than this company

Do not expected fair hiring practices

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

The pay and benefits are decent(if not a contractor). Work does not dominate life outside of work. Attitude of employees is not too formal.

Cons

HR and Upper Management do not give enough freedom in the hiring process and rely heavily on contract positions. Some contractors are kept in such a position for over a decade meanwhile new member are added to their teams at full-time positions gaining retirement and healthcare benefits, better pay, and room for advancement.

End the abuse of contractors. Employing someone for a decade as a contractor and having them train people under them all the while paying them poorly with no benefits or room for advancement is just plain wrong.

Awesome Starting Pad

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

- Challenging Work: Lexmark gives more responsibilities to its interns than other companies
    - Great Work Environment: Everyone wants to be there at Lexmark and First-Tier Managers are awesome. I saw no one that is just coasting on their work, so nothing like Dilbert
    - Future: The work you do at Lexmark does impact future products. Also, the work you do there will help you to get another internship

Cons

- Lexington, KY: Not the most boring town in the world but it gets boring quickly
    - Technology: There needs to be more upkeep in the technology department

This is a high-tech company, make sure you act like it. Other than that, the management knows focus on the core products and core services, which is always good.

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

Good company to work for. Really enjoyed working here. Also lexington is a small and a nice place to live.

Cons

As I said not much to do in a small town like lexington, ky. Also it snows for like 4 months.

Nice place to work

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Decent pay, nice area to live

Cons

No room for growth and long working hours

Be respectful of all people

Lexmark Photos