Lexmark Reviews

Updated August 20, 2014

3.2

Lexmark President, CEO, and Director Paul A. Rooke
Paul A. Rooke

Pros
  • Great Work Life Balance and exposure to cross-country experience (in 13 reviews)

• Compensation is good when you consider that the area's cost of living is lower than the national average (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Very few A players in middle to upper management and this trickles down (in 4 reviews)

• Work environment was too noisy, though I think the company offers alternative options to "open" workspaces (in 3 reviews)

More Highlights

Awesome Starting Pad

Former Employee - Engineering Intern  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

- Challenging Work: Lexmark gives more responsibilities to its interns than other companies
    - Great Work Environment: Everyone wants to be there at Lexmark and First-Tier Managers are awesome. I saw no one that is just coasting on their work, so nothing like Dilbert
    - Future: The work you do at Lexmark does impact future products. Also, the work you do there will help you to get another internship

Cons

- Lexington, KY: Not the most boring town in the world but it gets boring quickly
    - Technology: There needs to be more upkeep in the technology department

This is a high-tech company, make sure you act like it. Other than that, the management knows focus on the core products and core services, which is always good.

Lexmark

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

Good company to work for. Really enjoyed working here. Also lexington is a small and a nice place to live.

Cons

As I said not much to do in a small town like lexington, ky. Also it snows for like 4 months.

Nice place to work

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Decent pay, nice area to live

Cons

No room for growth and long working hours

Be respectful of all people

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lexmark minefield

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

The employee base is made up of genuinely nice people and the on-site cafeteria is good. Also, the Kentucky countryside is beautiful.

Cons

My first day on the job, I was absolutely stunned with the overall state of the company -- clearly one of those: "What have I gotten myself into?" moments. Corporate strategy is grossly out of touch with the competition and current trends. Management is stacked and heavy-handed (micro-managing thrives); no employee morale; antiquated IT systems (Lotus Notes for e-mail? I thought that went out in the 90's.)

Clear the decks! If Lexmark has even a chance to lift itself above the "small shop" status that it finds itself in, start from the top down.

Mis-directed Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Lexmark has some of the most competitive retirement benefits in the area. If you like Lexington, it is one of the biggest employers here.

Cons

Periodic layoffs over the last five years has created a tense atmosphere. Projects often seem more "me-too" than truly innovative. Company operates in a mature commodity market.

Stop designing products by feature checklist. Instead focus on designing experiences for customers. It is the only way to truly differentiate in a commodity market like printing. Features are easy for competitors to copy quickly.

Good Place to Start

Former Employee - Financial Analyst  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

You will learn the fundamentals of your field and get a good idea of how a Fortune 500 company works.

Cons

It is difficult to be promoted or get a raise because they are very tight on budgets. Negotiate a good salary when you get hired because there are very few raises. Also, managers are very territorial and you may sometimes feel like you're working for the government or a large bureaucracy.

Senior management is very good; much better than the very low approval ratings they were given by employees. But they're out of touch with reality and PR is very bad because they continue to accept large bonuses as the company underperforms.

Lots of outsourcing

Current Employee - Software Engineer  in  Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Good work and life balance. Flexible working hours.

Cons

Leadership is too conservative and unwilling to try new projects, looks too much at industry and competitors for direction. Aggressive outsourcing to Philippines and India.

Management needs to find new projects, instead of just focus on cost savings.

Good for engineers, bad for marketers

Former Employee - Marketing Manager  in  Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

Low cost of living, good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Competing on price alone, not a marketing but an engineering-driven orgnization.

Bring in a new leadership team.

Decent work environment... needs change at the top.

Former Employee - Account Executive  in  Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

The culture at Lexmark is not cutthroat and allows for a reasonable work-life balance. I enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Good base salary and benefits.

Cons

There was little opportunity to excel because of big quotas and very limited customer base. Lexmark products are above average but service issues (getting better) and lack of name recognition make selling difficult. I feel like they exploited their best customers because they had to work so hard to find new ones. It's hard being a distant 2nd to HP.

Need to clean house from the top down. Company will never change without new blood (i.e. IBM - Lew Gerstner and HP - Mark Hurd). Better marketing, better service and make it easier to do business with Lexmark.

Lexmark should look at our government as a reflection on how they run the company. Alot of dead weight!

Current Employee - Writer  in  Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Writer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

I not alone. There are plenty of others in the company that are in the same boat.

Cons

Contract employees are not given any incentives. The boat is sinking

Hire from within. Give contract employees that have worked 5 plus years consideration when hiring. Remove management that aren't preforming. Look at employees performance when hiring and firing.

Worked for Lexmark? Contribute to the Community!