Lexmark

Lexmark minefield

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

The employee base is made up of genuinely nice people and the on-site cafeteria is good. Also, the Kentucky countryside is beautiful.

Cons

My first day on the job, I was absolutely stunned with the overall state of the company -- clearly one of those: "What have I gotten myself into?" moments. Corporate strategy is grossly out of touch with the competition and current trends. Management is stacked and heavy-handed (micro-managing thrives); no employee morale; antiquated IT systems (Lotus Notes for e-mail? I thought that went out in the 90's.)

Clear the decks! If Lexmark has even a chance to lift itself above the "small shop" status that it finds itself in, start from the top down.

Mis-directed Ship

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Lexmark has some of the most competitive retirement benefits in the area. If you like Lexington, it is one of the biggest employers here.

Cons

Periodic layoffs over the last five years has created a tense atmosphere. Projects often seem more "me-too" than truly innovative. Company operates in a mature commodity market.

Stop designing products by feature checklist. Instead focus on designing experiences for customers. It is the only way to truly differentiate in a commodity market like printing. Features are easy for competitors to copy quickly.

Good Place to Start

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

You will learn the fundamentals of your field and get a good idea of how a Fortune 500 company works.

Cons

It is difficult to be promoted or get a raise because they are very tight on budgets. Negotiate a good salary when you get hired because there are very few raises. Also, managers are very territorial and you may sometimes feel like you're working for the government or a large bureaucracy.

Senior management is very good; much better than the very low approval ratings they were given by employees. But they're out of touch with reality and PR is very bad because they continue to accept large bonuses as the company underperforms.

Lots of outsourcing

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Good work and life balance. Flexible working hours.

Cons

Leadership is too conservative and unwilling to try new projects, looks too much at industry and competitors for direction. Aggressive outsourcing to Philippines and India.

Management needs to find new projects, instead of just focus on cost savings.

Good for engineers, bad for marketers

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Lexington, KY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in Lexington, KY

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

Low cost of living, good pay and decent benefits.

Cons

Competing on price alone, not a marketing but an engineering-driven orgnization.

Bring in a new leadership team.

Decent work environment... needs change at the top.

Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at Lexmark

Pros

The culture at Lexmark is not cutthroat and allows for a reasonable work-life balance. I enjoyed most of the people I worked with. Good base salary and benefits.

Cons

There was little opportunity to excel because of big quotas and very limited customer base. Lexmark products are above average but service issues (getting better) and lack of name recognition make selling difficult. I feel like they exploited their best customers because they had to work so hard to find new ones. It's hard being a distant 2nd to HP.

Need to clean house from the top down. Company will never change without new blood (i.e. IBM - Lew Gerstner and HP - Mark Hurd). Better marketing, better service and make it easier to do business with Lexmark.

Lexmark should look at our government as a reflection on how they run the company. Alot of dead weight!

Current Employee - Writer in Lexington, KY
    Current Employee - Writer in Lexington, KY

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

I not alone. There are plenty of others in the company that are in the same boat.

Cons

Contract employees are not given any incentives. The boat is sinking

Hire from within. Give contract employees that have worked 5 plus years consideration when hiring. Remove management that aren't preforming. Look at employees performance when hiring and firing.

Slightly disfunctional company, needs new leadership.

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Located in beautiful small city. Reasonably interesting work. Salaries may not be the best, but if you have a good first line manager, there are several work/life balance perks. Medical plan is good, non-monetary benefits are pretty good compared to other companies.

Cons

Too much work, not enough people. Incompetent leadership at the very top and in several middle manager positions. Pressure to overwork with no discernible benefit. There is not enough emphasis on research and development to maintain a solid marketshare with new products. Too singular focus on printing, not enough on possible related technologies that would diversify the product line.

Reduce the layers of middle management, provide a closer pathway between low level employees and the top levels of management. Allow for more innovation and expanded product lines. Hire more engineers, since product quality is suffering due to engineers in Lexington having to redo work by engineers in Cebu, Philippines.

Lexmark: We're always working...

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Lexmark is a unique environment. I have been there for almost a year and a half now. Thus far I believe the thing I like most about my job environment is the freedom. My job allows me to work as much or as little as I would like. Managers rarely micromanage and I have the freedom to execute my tasks as I see fit. As long as the deadlines are met workers have the freedom to explore other areas which they may find interesting. Originally my job description defined my job as strictly testing. I expanded my horizons however by incorporating programming and within a year my job title had changed.

Lexmark is also a very diverse environment so it gives you the opportunity to work with people from across the globe. This type of variety allows you to gain a perspective different from you own.

Cons

Some of Lexmark's strengths also serve as weaknesses as well. Managers are sometimes too hands off. They give a project and then never check in until it is due. Sometimes there are workers which take a few hours off for lunch or take take 5 30 minute smoke breaks a day, but management never notices.

Another issue is the number of contractors working with Lexmark. Lexmark hires workers as contractors, but uses them as full time employees. They do the same work as a full time hire, but do not get the same compensation. This leads to contractors resenting management and full time hires. They do not treat their work with the same amount of pride because they feel as though their efforts are not appreciated.

Clearly communicate to contract workers whether there is a plan to help them move on to a full time regular employment. If there is no plan communicated to the employee it is natural that most will view Lexmark as a temporary position until they can find a "real" job. Until this problem is solved you will continue to struggle with high turn over rates and mediocre job performance from workers who are capable of so much more.

Lexmark headed downhill.

I have been working at Lexmark

Pros

Good 401K and retirement package.

Cons

Too many levels of managment. Lexmark only concerned about making things cheap, not creating new and exciting technology. Promotions are given to employees who don't deserve, while others who get all the work done are not.

Focus on just making a good printer.

Lexmark Photos