Leydig, Voit & Mayer Reviews

2.2
CEO

1. Legal Assistant

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great team, interesting work, great after-work activities, great insight into the legal field.

Cons

No upward mobility, very heavy workload, lots of turnover, average pay

Advice to Management

The support staff would love to have their feedback heard.

2. OK if you're desperate but zero growth potential

Pros

Clean environment Free donuts and muffins on staff birthdays Many lunch options in vicinity Regular hours without too much required overtime Some good people work here

Cons

I have to echo the sentiment expressed in other reviews: This firm is cheap and refuses to invest in employee. Their hiring strategy is to hire inexperienced workers who are willing to accept a low salary. It's an old firm and they've weathered a lot, but they really do appear to be on a sharp decline. One problem with their emphasis on cheap labor is that they lack mentors to help new hires. As the more experienced staff leave, it becomes newbies training newbies. Other firms provide educational opportunities to help staff develop their knowledge-base and skills, which benefits the firm and the legal community in general. You won't find anything like that here. IP law is an in-demand field and even someone with just 1 or 2 years of experience can pretty easily find a firm that will pay significantly more than Leydig would ever pay. Leydig is OK if you just want experience, but just remember that loyalty and good performance at this firm are not rewarded with raises or promotions. Learn as much as you can, and then start sending out resumes and visit your local legal recruiter. Just tell them that you're from Leydig and they'll know exactly why you're looking for something else.

Advice to Management

If you don't think that you have an employee retention problem, a morale problem, or a lack of mentors and senior staff people then keep doing what you're doing.

Going the Wrong Direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

This firm offers profit sharing and matches 401k contributions. However, there are no profits to share when the firm isn't making any money.

Cons

I have worked here for over 5 years and the place has just gone down hill. Leydig is being managed into the ground. There are many bad things I could say about Leydig, but will just point out a few. In all my time here, they have never hired a secretary with experience. They only seek cheap employees, new grads with no experience and no expectations(and consequently no interest). This place is definitely an old man's club(white man), leaving women of all levels(attorney, paralegal, secretary) last in line behind the men. The partners at this firm fight like they are all so much more important and powerful than the others, which makes it difficult to come to agreement about simple things. And above all, they pay bottom dollar and do not seem concerned with something called "quality work". I worked at 4 other law firms and none of them had these problems like Leydig has!!

Advice to Management

It's time to look for a new managing partner. Find someone who is more focused on the future of the firm rather than someone who wants to make sure everyone knows that he is in charge of what happens and how much money is spent.

Secretary

Pros

Some staff are great and only a hand full of attorneys are good to work with.

Cons

The raises are terrible. Staff are treated as completely replaceable where they don't care about you. They say they will try to take care of you with raises and benefits, but when the time comes, they will try to postpone it until next year saying that the firm isn't making as much money.

Advice to Management

Take care of your staff members because they are the ones who will help the firm.

6. Toxic work environment

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Compensation is average. Some people are nice and fun to work with.

Cons

As far as human capital is concerned, company culture appears to be selfish, counterproductive, and Machiavellian. Many seem inept or unambitious except in respect to social maneuvering and power plays. There is a lot of gossiping, a lot of backbiting, and a lot of self-centered, one-way conversations, sometimes it's all hidden by cheery faces, but it comes out behind closed doors or in how the work gets handled. As mentioned before, working here requires good working knowledge of specific industries, but the company offers little training or access to knowledge to how it applies. Some hoard information, even to the point of refusing to discuss how they want to approach a job if you have to work together, except to disrupt and criticize and your contributions in any way they can. This is usually just to distract from their mistakes or poor choices, or to use their status to make other people look bad. The environment is highly disorganized and overwhelming because the confusion allows people to hide their motives or more easily shift the blame for poor outcomes. It's all just a setup to scapegoat whoever falls into the trap. There are many exceptions to this throughout the company, but the likelihood they and you will be setup to fail and thrown under the bus regularly is pretty high.

7. Horrible work environment

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Decent salary. Good way to gain some experience in the law industry, especially if you are considering going to law school.

Cons

This was one of the most unhappy, anti-social jobs I have ever held. Most of my co-workers were only concerned with themselves and their own business, and could not be bothered to make eye contact with others. I had no previous law experience and received only two days of unhelpful training, from someone who was not qualified to do so. I never felt that the particular lawyer I supported cared about me at all, and often times when he would be out of the office I was left with nothing to do - my day was 8 hours of staring at my computer screen, reading Buzzfeed articles and talking on Gchat. And not one person noticed, or cared. Additionally, I had no idea who I reported to. Was it my lawyer? The woman who hired me? The office supervisor? Any time I tried to ask one of my superiors a question about the work the response was to ask one of my co-workers. There was no organizational method in place that I could find, and often times I was left to figure things out for myself. Then, of course, I was criticized for doing the work incorrectly.

Advice to Management

I know that you're lawyers...but you could at least try to pretend that you care about other people. Oh, and provide sufficient training.

8. A great starting position

Former Employee - Summer Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Summer Clerk in Chicago, IL

Pros

The employees are nice, and everyone works hard to make the company stronger. Additionally, the firm is very good at IP law.

Cons

People don't seem overly productive, and everyone seems like they're a bit unhappy with the their work experience. Limited room for growth.

Advice to Management

People need to be happy with their work, which means recognizing their efforts.

9. Excellent Starting Posiiton

Former Employee - Legal Secretary
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Other employees are kind and easy to get along with. Comprehensive benefits package. Fairly relaxed office culture compared to other law firms. Protocol for taking time off and for being asked to work overtime is reasonable and easy to understand.

Cons

Extremely limited ability to advance within the firm. The actual nature of your work will depend on which attorneys you work for.

Advice to Management

Try to invest more in your staff. Better training will inspire lower-level employees to contribute more.

RSS Feed </> Embed