Leydig, Voit & Mayer

A great starting position

Former Employee - Summer Clerk in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Summer Clerk in Chicago, IL

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer

Pros

The employees are nice, and everyone works hard to make the company stronger. Additionally, the firm is very good at IP law.

Cons

People don't seem overly productive, and everyone seems like they're a bit unhappy with the their work experience. Limited room for growth.

People need to be happy with their work, which means recognizing their efforts.

Secretary

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer

Pros

Some staff are great and only a hand full of attorneys are good to work with.

Cons

The raises are terrible. Staff are treated as completely replaceable where they don't care about you. They say they will try to take care of you with raises and benefits, but when the time comes, they will try to postpone it until next year saying that the firm isn't making as much money.

Take care of your staff members because they are the ones who will help the firm.

Toxic work environment

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Compensation is average. Some people are nice and fun to work with.

Cons

As far as human capital is concerned, company culture appears to be selfish, counterproductive, and Machiavellian. Many seem inept or unambitious except in respect to social maneuvering and power plays. There is a lot of gossiping, a lot of backbiting, and a lot of self-centered, one-way conversations, sometimes it's all hidden by cheery faces, but it comes out behind closed doors or in how the work gets handled.

As mentioned before, working here requires good working knowledge of specific industries, but the company offers little training or access to knowledge to how it applies. Some hoard information, even to the point of refusing to discuss how they want to approach a job if you have to work together, except to disrupt and criticize and your contributions in any way they can. This is usually just to distract from their mistakes or poor choices, or to use their status to make other people look bad. The environment is highly disorganized and overwhelming because the confusion allows people to hide their motives or more easily shift the blame for poor outcomes.
    It's all just a setup to scapegoat whoever falls into the trap.

There are many exceptions to this throughout the company, but the likelihood they and you will be setup to fail and thrown under the bus regularly is pretty high.

Horrible work environment

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Decent salary. Good way to gain some experience in the law industry, especially if you are considering going to law school.

Cons

This was one of the most unhappy, anti-social jobs I have ever held. Most of my co-workers were only concerned with themselves and their own business, and could not be bothered to make eye contact with others. I had no previous law experience and received only two days of unhelpful training, from someone who was not qualified to do so. I never felt that the particular lawyer I supported cared about me at all, and often times when he would be out of the office I was left with nothing to do - my day was 8 hours of staring at my computer screen, reading Buzzfeed articles and talking on Gchat. And not one person noticed, or cared.

Additionally, I had no idea who I reported to. Was it my lawyer? The woman who hired me? The office supervisor? Any time I tried to ask one of my superiors a question about the work the response was to ask one of my co-workers. There was no organizational method in place that I could find, and often times I was left to figure things out for myself. Then, of course, I was criticized for doing the work incorrectly.

I know that you're lawyers...but you could at least try to pretend that you care about other people.

Oh, and provide sufficient training.

Excellent Starting Posiiton

Former Employee - Legal Secretary
    Former Employee - Legal Secretary

I worked at Leydig, Voit & Mayer full-time

Pros

Other employees are kind and easy to get along with. Comprehensive benefits package. Fairly relaxed office culture compared to other law firms. Protocol for taking time off and for being asked to work overtime is reasonable and easy to understand.

Cons

Extremely limited ability to advance within the firm. The actual nature of your work will depend on which attorneys you work for.

Try to invest more in your staff. Better training will inspire lower-level employees to contribute more.