Liberal Democrats

Liberal Democrats Reviews

Updated Jun 12, 2014

Nick Clegg

Best UK political party.

Activist (Current Employee) Manchester, England (UK)

ProsGreat party with great campaigners.

ConsPoor pay, uses a lot of volunteers. Poor work life balance, but it is working to change the UK.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry not to be to insular and get a better communications department.

Because I Can

Counselor (Current Employee) South Wigston, England (UK)

ProsThe feeling of satisfaction when you persuade 1 person to vote Lib Dem

Consyou can be voted out of your job

Advice to Senior Managementdont let bullies within council groups to prosper they destroy from within

Worked in the Stix

County Counselor (Current Employee) Saint Albans, England (UK)

ProsIt's more like family than it is a company but that can come with extra stress as a result!

ConsIt's not a well loved family by others.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork life balance? What's that when you love the job?

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Better on the inside than the outside

Membership Datamanager (Former Employee) City of Westminster, England (UK)

ProsInteresting, care well for their employees, progressive, exciting, at the centre of UK life even when out of power. Have you ever worked for an organisation that's trying to take over the state?

ConsPay is poor, can be stressful, you'll be stabbed in the back not front, committees control many aspects of the party so you may have several bosses, in effect

Advice to Senior ManagementPay peanuts, get monkeys - ambitious ones in this case

The Ups and Downs

Administrator (Former Employee) City of Westminster, England (UK)

ProsPeople, places, policy, shared vision and aims. Allowed to talk politics in the office.

ConsKnowing that senior figures - who are generally young - choose not to use the experience of older staff in resolving problems before they occur. There is a culture of "we know best" as we have got the University degree/are friends with senior party figures.

Advice to Senior ManagementA lack of respect for the longer serving and older staff. The staff to beware of are the ones who have joined and want a career in the organisation as they (in many cases) are putting themselves first and not the organisation - to the detriment of the organisation.

Widespread mistreatment of staff

Constituency Organiser (Former Employee) Sheffield, England (UK)

ProsAn opportunity to gain a lot of experience.

ConsBullying is widespread. Poor pay and conditions with few opportunities for promotion. Expectation to work far in excess of paid hours without overtime or time off in lieu. Annual leave withdrawn.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement were told and weren't interested.

Often fun, often frustrating.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsThe team at HQ are a wonderful mix of lovely people and working during a general election campaign is a fascinating insight.

ConsPoor pay. Management didn't quite understand how to deal with staff. Low morale. The management and leadership of the party expect a lot more of staff than they can give in return.

Advice to Senior ManagementValue your staff and you'll likely retain them better.

Low pay, long hours, no security

Organizer (Former Employee)

ProsElections are addictive, good team of people

ConsLow pay, long hours, no security

Advice to Senior ManagementTreat staff better

Nice job for a year or two, but then it's time to move on.

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsWorking for the Lib Dems allows you to get an inside perspective of politics and get involved with issues you believe in.

ConsThere are hardly any advancement opportunities, your pay could be as low as £18,000 and you'll make very long hours. On top of this, party HQ doesn't understand HR fundamentals.

Advice to Senior ManagementCommunicate with your staff, support them and ensure you keep them informed. Offer better training that caters to staff needs.

Worked for Liberal Democrats? Contribute to the Community!