Liberty Diversified Industries

2.7
Mike Fiterman

1. I hope it lasts

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries

Pros

Things seem to changing in the right direction. Great benefits, committed to the community, collaborative work environment. Great family owned company

Cons

CEO is currently working in the business while trying to replace President and a GM. He is a little out of touch

Advice to Management

commit to a strategy and work it. keep the bigger picture in mind.

Where Have All the Leaders Gone?

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Plymouth, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The corporation gives a lot back to the community
    Many great people work at LDI

Cons

All of the great leaders have been fired or have quit
    The owner thinks he is the smartest guy in the room

Advice to Management

Keep Mike out of the businesses

3. Change and Turmoil

Current Employee - Professional in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Professional in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a general concern for a work-life balance, a genuine concern for employees, and a concern for the community in which we work. I work with some great people. The company has good intentions and strong ethics.

Cons

Talented people do not stay long. General Managers and Directors change over often. Strategic direction is lacking

Advice to Management

There seems to be a significant disconnect in the company. Executive Leadership members are not engaged with the divisions. It is an "Us vs. Them" environment, and there is a great deal of blame form divisional leadership to the corporate office. This is not healthy. “Work Place Effectiveness” is sent in often, with good intentions but lacking results. General Managers and Directors do not stay long.

In the past eighteen months or so, there has been a seismic shift in the company/divisional direction. In fairness to the other divisions, I can only give examples of what I have seen in my division. Constant change in leadership leads to change in direction. When I joined the company, I joined a successful division, yet most recently, we have seen another new General Manager and the most talented leaders removed from the division. One leader who valued strategic direction and accountability was suddenly terminated for reasons that are still unclear. Another was forced out (terminated?) because he was told he needed move out of state for the division and would not move once again. These were two respected and strong leaders, and yet they were not replaced with the same caliper of talent. In my short tenure, we have one leader who is still in the role he was in when I started. With all of the change, vision and direction are no longer. The shift has move from "Is that on Strategy?" to "What is our Strategy?" These instances are not unique to our division. Every leadership summit seems to have many new faces and a void of many others. Change is good, but only in moderation.

If the corporate leaders spent some in depth time within the divisions, they would understand the dysfunction. The company has low tolerance for under performing businesses. With more involvement from the top, maybe we can avoid more divisions being closed. I think there is hope for the future, but the right change has to happen. What was once passion has turned to apathy. I hope the leadership of the company realizes this before it is too late.

I will eventually move on, but want to see success for all of my peers.

5. Family oriented company!

Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Marketing in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The people make it great to work here.

Cons

The compensation and benefits package could be more competitive

Advice to Management

Ensure the most qualified people are in the correct positions.

6. Afraid to even smile

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Had some really great co-workers

Cons

You have to deal with worn out and out dated machinery.supervisors starring at you 24/7.
    They do not trust their employees to do their jobs.
    They keep pushing you for numbers and quality suffers.

Advice to Management

If you cant trust people to do their jobs then they shouldnt work for the company. Dont treat people like children that have to have a baby sitter. I can remember when this work place was a happy place to work. Production was great and attitudes were even better. People are now being pushed to their limits. People are afraid to even smile anymore because management will think your goofing off.

7. LDI's Leadership needs to wake up!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hope, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New Hope, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very flexible work schedules as far as work/personal life goes. Their community involvement is admirable and they participant annually in Habitat for Humanity, Meals-on-wheels, Race for the Cure, and more. Good technology and support. Good benefits with generous profit sharing.

Cons

LDI used to be a great place to work. Employees with years of valuable experience & knowledge of the organization suddenly disappear without much explanation. People with tenure and wonderful experience are coldly dismissed by HR and shown the door. The Leadership Team is either cold like corporate HR, buffaloed by HR, or have no clue to what is going on in the ranks. They need to wake up. Managers with even a small amount of power will make your life miserable if you do not agree with them. Cliques.

Advice to Management

Act on some of the concerns expressed by employees. Walk around occasionally and talk and listen to your employees. Do some investigations.

8. Improvement Needed

I worked at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time

Pros

Employees were very cooperative. The work was both interesting and challenging. There was sufficient opportunity to get involved with different projects. The company does promote volunteer work and giving back to the community.

Cons

Management lacks trust. My manager was often times simply not available. While employees were cooperative, they rarely engaged socially outside of work. There was insufficient feedback and communication.

9. The "family" has left the company a few years ago

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The people I work with are the best. They make it easy to collaborate and rewarding with some of the accomplishments

Cons

Management has no direction. Managers keep leaving. Difficulty in hiring GMs for the divisions that stay to create or maintain a direction. Benefits are good but salary is lacking. What do you expect from a CIO that says 'If you want more money, get a different job'

Advice to Management

Stop trying to think we are a 'family' anymore. That's ok but don't fool us and yourselves.

10. Great family run company that truly cares about employee development

I worked at Liberty Diversified Industries

Pros

Private company with focus on growing three diverse business segments of machine tool, paper and packaging, and the national markets.

Cons

Growing competition in each market segment from both domestic and international competition. Will need to focus and make capital investment to continue as best in class for the varied market segments.

Change is needed from the top down

Current Employee - Middle Management in New Hope, MN
    Current Employee - Middle Management in New Hope, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries

Pros

The people, the support and camaraderie of ones fellow employees is fantastic. The employees at each division of LDI truly know the meaning of the word "teamwork" and go out of their way to help each other succeed. When it comes to difficult situations (either personal or work-related) you could not find a better support system than the ad-hock group of work friends.

Cons

There is a varying and inconsistent message continually flowing throughout the organization. Due to the inability of the executive team to honestly present and debate their vision with Mike Fiterman, employees receive Mikes vision, and then many of the executive team come through with their vision which, at times, area 180 degrees different from Mike.
    The compensation offered is much less than what is offered in the local market. LDI is torn between being a "family business" where lower salaries are expected due to small size and an "international" company with an employee base of over 1500 and operations throughout the world where rewards are comparable to other similar companies.
    The constant flushing of management. Most of the General Managers for each Division ("Business") have been on board for fewer than 3 years. This revolving door assures that each Division is either training in a new GM, adjusting to a new direction, or awaiting the arrival of the newest GM. With this model, true consistency and growth will never be achieved and the 2010 vision will not be achieved.
    The money and effort spent to market the businesses as "the best place to work" or "community focused" when the employees are the ones who make that possible. The survey results that indicate this miss the point that people within the businesses create this feeling within their business unit, it is not happening from the top down, but the bottom up.

Advice to Management

Be honest with each other, be honest with Mike. You are all shirking your responsibility by not debating opposing views and you are damaging the company by allowing Mike to micromanage divisions that he no longer has day to day contact with. If you cannot confront this basic problem that resonates throughout the business, you are not earning your keep. Believe it or not, lower level employees realize the misalignment between the Executive Team and it is a cloud that remains over our daily work lives as we wait for the next zig or zag in our individual direction.
    Compensate your people fairly so that you do not have to worry about other companies taking your best talent.
    Hire the best people you can and let them run the businesses. Do not send an Executive Team member through with new ideas, clouding the direction already issued by the GM on a regular basis.

RSS Feed </> Embed