Liberty Diversified Industries

Positive Environment

Intern (Former Employee)
New Hope, MN

I worked at Liberty Diversified Industries as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone at LDI was very friendly and willing to help. There was a lot of collaboration between coworkers and they had a very team-oriented environment.

ConsCan't really say much here. I was responsible for interviewing multiple members of each of the different companies and one particular upper management member was almost impossible to meet with. He originally met with me and then later I couldn't get a response back via email or phone. My supervisor even tried but no luck.

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep encouraging personal growth and fostering a great work-life balance for your employees.

Improvement Needed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time

ProsEmployees were very cooperative. The work was both interesting and challenging. There was sufficient opportunity to get involved with different projects. The company does promote volunteer work and giving back to the community.

ConsManagement lacks trust. My manager was often times simply not available. While employees were cooperative, they rarely engaged socially outside of work. There was insufficient feedback and communication.

The "family" has left the company a few years ago

Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time for more than 10 years

ProsThe people I work with are the best. They make it easy to collaborate and rewarding with some of the accomplishments

ConsManagement has no direction. Managers keep leaving. Difficulty in hiring GMs for the divisions that stay to create or maintain a direction. Benefits are good but salary is lacking. What do you expect from a CIO that says 'If you want more money, get a different job'

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying to think we are a 'family' anymore. That's ok but don't fool us and yourselves.

Great family run company that truly cares about employee development

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Diversified Industries

ProsPrivate company with focus on growing three diverse business segments of machine tool, paper and packaging, and the national markets.

ConsGrowing competition in each market segment from both domestic and international competition. Will need to focus and make capital investment to continue as best in class for the varied market segments.

Change is needed from the top down

Middle Management (Current Employee)
New Hope, MN

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries

ProsThe people, the support and camaraderie of ones fellow employees is fantastic. The employees at each division of LDI truly know the meaning of the word "teamwork" and go out of their way to help each other succeed. When it comes to difficult situations (either personal or work-related) you could not find a better support system than the ad-hock group of work friends.

ConsThere is a varying and inconsistent message continually flowing throughout the organization. Due to the inability of the executive team to honestly present and debate their vision with Mike Fiterman, employees receive Mikes vision, and then many of the executive team come through with their vision which, at times, area 180 degrees different from Mike.
The compensation offered is much less than what is offered in the local market. LDI is torn between being a "family business" where lower salaries are expected due to small size and an "international" company with an employee base of over 1500 and operations throughout the world where rewards are comparable to other similar companies.
The constant flushing of management. Most of the General Managers for each Division ("Business") have been on board for fewer than 3 years. This revolving door assures that each Division is either training in a new GM, adjusting to a new direction, or awaiting the arrival of the newest GM. With this model, true consistency and growth will never be achieved and the 2010 vision will not be achieved.
The money and effort spent to market the businesses as "the best place to work" or "community focused" when the employees are the ones who make that possible. The survey results that indicate this miss the point that people within the businesses create this feeling within their business unit, it is not happening from the top down, but the bottom up.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe honest with each other, be honest with Mike. You are all shirking your responsibility by not debating opposing views and you are damaging the company by allowing Mike to micromanage divisions that he no longer has day to day contact with. If you cannot confront this basic problem that resonates throughout the business, you are not earning your keep. Believe it or not, lower level employees realize the misalignment between the Executive Team and it is a cloud that remains over our daily work lives as we wait for the next zig or zag in our individual direction.
Compensate your people fairly so that you do not have to worry about other companies taking your best talent.
Hire the best people you can and let them run the businesses. Do not send an Executive Team member through with new ideas, clouding the direction already issued by the GM on a regular basis.

LDI

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries full-time

ProsLiberty Diversified International's company benefits are very, very good. The medical coverage and PTO accrual are especially generous. There is a lot of emphasis on doing work for the community and giving back either in United Way weekly deductions or through donating your time to volunteer.

ConsA bit of hypocrisy, do as I say not as I do, goes on depending on who is in the audience.

Not an Employer of Choice

I have been working at Liberty Diversified Industries

ProsThe company had a great benefits package. The people that work there are incredible, with some great talent. There is an atmosphere of team work. If you are looking for some good experience, the opportunity to work with some great people, and do not plan on being employed here for a long time, then you should try to become an LDI employee.

ConsThe pay is about 20 less than the average compensation in the market place. There is always a promise of future earnings, but that does not come fruition. There is also a lack of appreciation of employees. Trust is extremely low., morale is lower. Every time the firings and layoffs seem to have subsided, there is quietly another round. LDI has changed incredibly over the last few years, and not just because of the economy. The Executive team keeps changing. General Manager keep changing. Senior Management is turned over quite a bit, and the long term individual contributors are being let go little by little. I never thought I would say this, but I am glad to be no longer associated with the company. That is too bad, as I used really appreciate my team mates, but I decided to move on to company who appreciated me.

Advice to Senior ManagementCompensate your employees fairly. Appreciate your employees for their talent. Trust your employees. You want to be a "Great Place to Work" and you keep pushing that down the employees throats, but that is far from the truth. Study other companies, find those that truly are great places to work, bench mark what a truly great place to work is, and implement the actions to make it happen. You have lost some great employees, and as the economy improves, you will see a mass exodus.

Worked for Liberty Diversified Industries? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Diversified Industries reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Diversified Industries CEO Mike Fiterman. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Diversified Industries employees.