Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

200 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Good lifestyle, but can be pushy

Senior Business Consultant (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsNot much overtime, good pay, so you have time to enjoy your life outside the office.

ConsManagement can be very clear about what job or career they want you to take, so growing inside the company the way you want might be difficult. Obviously, this is different manager to manager.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe more flexible, or you might lose people you don't want to lose.

Great Culture

Senior Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsWork Life Balance, interesting work.

ConsLarge company... sometimes hard to make a meaningful impact.

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue to do what you are doing.

Good place to work. The people are nice and I got great experience working here!

Claims Representative (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance part-time for more than a year

ProsGood atmosphere and good starting pay right out of school. I liked the area the office was in and everyone treated me nicely even though I was in a lower position than they were.

ConsI worked in claims - not very glamorous and can be draining. Not much to do other than talk to people on the phone who are usually very aggrivated.

IT Application Support

IT Analyst (Former Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

ProsLatest Technology IBM WAS Guide Wire

ConsTraining on Insurance business

Tough to break through the glass ceiling

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Proswork-life balance is not bad (but varies by department), tuition reimbursement, decent health insurance, training and personal development opportunities are very good.

ConsPoor pay and challenging to find advancement opportunities. This company does not pay for performance. There is a disconnect between how well you perform in a given performance period and what your merit increase will be. If you reach the top of your pay grade, yet still exceed expectations performance wise, don't expect a merit increase that reflects how well you performed. You're told that if you exhibit that you are capable of performing the duties of the next job up from your current one, you'll get promoted. That is not true at all. Most managers will not go to bat for you. If you're going to work here, learn to stand up for yourself early on and push your managers to do their job and be your advocate. Even then there's no guarantees.

Very political and extremely difficult to break into the inner circle. Communication and flow of information tends to stop with that inner circle as well. There are some managers that buck this trend, but not nearly enough.

"Moving up" here means "moving on". If you're not comfortable changing jobs/departments/SBU's every couple of years, but want to advance in your career, this company is not for you.

Pension and 401K plan slashed in the midst of a record breaking year for the company.

Would like to see more opportunities for flexible working arrangements.

Growing very tired of all the re-orgs. It's to the point that you don't even have a chance to settle into the new organization before you're hit with another change.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagers need to be better advocates for their direct reports. Recognition goes a long way. The message I keep hearing around here lately is that people are Senior Management's main concern. Say it all you want, but actions speak louder than words and I'm still waiting.

Fantastic opportunities but culture is less than desirable..

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat opportunities, pay, and benefits.

ConsOh Liberty Mutual, how I don't miss you..AT ALL. Take a stroll down Boylston or Newbury, do you see people with their noses high in the air? If so, the majority of these folks are likely not just wealthy Boston Brahmins but Liberty Mutual employees. I spent a few years working at Liberty in a very modest paying role. It was great experience, I learned a tremendous amount, I had the opportunity to advance, but I could no longer stomach the culture in the Boston office. Think public school kid having to attend a snooty private high school for the first time and feeling very much excluded. This is exactly how I felt and I know others feel the same way. It is not an inclusive environment, but quite the opposite. Part of the problem is that (and I don't know why or how this started), Managers here are put on a pedestal and treated like Gods/celebrities. Especially, younger managers who have been promoted way too quickly. Flashing news- you work for an insurance company, you are not out there saving lives or researching how to cure cancer.

Additionally, this company is UBER political. Now I know that you are going to find this anywhere, but Liberty Mutual takes this to the extreme. Speak with any current or former employee and they will tell you the same. Unfortunately, this runs rampant throughout the Boston office and it is pretty much unavoidable. Liberty Mutual is homogenous in the sense that they hire based on whether or not you fit their "mold". You could be the smartest person out there with great experience, but if you do not look, act, or talk like a Banana Republic model, then you ain't getting the job! There is indeed corporate bullying and most of this comes from some of Liberty's female manager population (at least in my experience), particularly within their Human Resources organization. There are a few female leaders at the top of the Liberty Mutual HR "food chain" who are some of the most vicious and catty women I have ever dealt with in my life. The bottom line is this, some people might thrive in an environment like this and not let the culture "get" to them. However, if the above is something you think would bother you, then I would not ever recommend working here. My life is 100% better now that I have moved on to an organization where people are respectful, kind, and grounded.

Advice to Senior ManagementStart taking a hard look at your exit interview information or you will continue to lose good people.

Poor middle management

Director (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

ProsGood benefits, great location in downtown Boston, relocation assistance, great facilities, excellent use of technology

ConsSalaries are low for Boston-area employees, middle managers don't respect the space of others, managers do not respect employees, overly conservative culture for 2014 (suit and tie requirement daily - no business casual Fridays), too many re-orgs, indecisive management, too many McKinsey consultants and not enough people with real management experience

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep middle managers in their lanes; respect staff

Don't Turn 50 Years Old

Manager (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

ProsVery nice environment to work in with current technology. The people here work very hard and do great things. Work Life Balance has historically been tough here, but SOME managers have a heart and will be flexible with compensating for night / weekend work

ConsOnce you turn 50 and make a really good salary, they look to manage you out of the company. I personally know of 3 people that this has happened to in the last 10 years.

Advice to Senior ManagementPeople with Grey hair can be valuable to those in their 30's

Expect to work hard

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsThis company has really great benefits, defined goals, and gives you freedom to work. Great reputation for challenging employees

Constough work/life balance, not the most exciting industry to work in while you are young, hard to change business segments

Pleasant

CDP (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

ProsEveryone is very helpful here.

ConsOlder crowd. However, Liberty has been hiring a lot of younger employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementToo bureaucratic.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All 200 reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.