Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

200 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Hands down the best company to work for

Senior Branch Manager (Current Employee)
Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFirst the majority of the managers truly care about their people. Second the pay scale is extremely competitive and typically above industry standards. The harder you work, the more you get paid. They even have a 401k and a pension!

ConsWork life balance. It's not because the company forces you to work, it's because you become engrossed in your job and want to do better,

Advice to Senior ManagementBreak down some silos between work units and spend money on face to face interaction vs work unit inboxes. When waiting to get a customer an answer from underwriting or claims a 24 hours response time doesn't work.

A whirlwind of learning, but they provide all resources if you're willing to take that extra step.

IT Intern (Current Employee)
Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

ProsFamily flexibility, many locations, willingness to teach

ConsUnorganized, lot of "team building" exercises.

Advice to Senior ManagementFelt there was room for streamlining work flows.

Company takes care of its high performing employees.

Vice President (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

ProsThe company invests in training, compensates fairly for the high performers, and there are always new job opportunities available because of growth.

ConsWork life balance among the high performers is lacking, feedback on an individual's performance is sometimes lacking, lots of change currently going on at company.

We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Liberty wants to attract younger workers, but its culture is from the 50's.

Technical Architect (Former Employee)
Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsGood salary. Good technology experience.

ConsManagement too afraid to make waves or negotiate with business partners and upper management. Women are often overlooked for promotions-- especially in higher positions.

Advice to Senior ManagementHard to get much done without everyone involved. Management should delegate and learn to trust employees.

Good work/life balance but uninspiring pay

Product Management Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

ProsThere is good work/life balance and I usually get a sense that there isn't too much pressure to get things done. Nice colleagues and helpful managers with a supportive environment. The new office building in Boston is also very nice.

ConsThe salary is uninspiring to say the least and there is relatively slow career advancement/promotions. The company structure is very hierarchical and there isn't too much flexibility in job content and moving around. You also need to be passionate about the insurance industry in order to stay here long-term.

Advice to Senior ManagementPay is not competitive, especially for entry-level jobs. Work harder to attract and retain talent from top schools.

World class company BUT culture has to be right for you..

Human Resources Professional (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsExcellent pay and benefits, internal mobility, community involvement, and many resources at your fingertips.

ConsIn the Boston HQ the culture can at times, be very elitist/arrogant, you only move up if you suck up, bad behaviors by managers are never addressed, depending on the dept. in which you work LM is very political, flexible work arrangements do exist but are not granted to all, and too many female "bullies" in senior management roles.

Just a place to get started

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

ProsNice building, good name in Boston, new tower/cafeteria. Hiring from within, rewards longtime veterans with the company. Pay is competitive if you're above a grade 8.

ConsFeeling isolated in a little cubicle all the time, boring/meaningless work, standard work sucks, takes a while to move up in the company, too much reliance on managers - if you hated your manager, Liberty would be a nightmare for you because managers have so much direction over their direct reports.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake Liberty Management System more conducive to flexibility. I understand the reason is to streamline work and get everyone on the same page, but when we get down to nitpicking which windows and programs should be open when, random formatting details, etc. it defeats the purpose. "One way is not the best way for everyone", but the whole premise of standard work dismisses this.

Great place to work

Business Analyst II (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros- Given tools to succeed and grow within current role, or in other groups within the company
- Excellent compensation relative to surrounding companies
- Does not feel like the typical large insurance company with much more progressive thinking since the recent reorganization
- Good corporate direction with management that is transparent in their long and short term strategy

Cons- For some reason we still wear suits in the Boston office, but not in any other location
- Personally haven't found many negatives

Advice to Senior ManagementContinue with transparency and focus on using technology to improve business model.

Micromanaged and overworked

Claims Specialist (Current Employee)
Hingham, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Proscompetitive salary. lots of training available. job opportunities appear to be abundant as long as you are willing to relocate.

ConsYou will be micromanaged more than you have ever thought possible. You will be overworked as well. Be prepared to be overlooked for rewards and recognitions unless you suck up to management

Advice to Senior Managementhalf the managers are terrible and stuck up and the people under them are more knowledgeable and effective than they are

Lots of opportunity in a variety of areas

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

ProsLarge variety of roles in multiple geographic areas, opportunity for upward movement, good people who work hard and typically try to do the right thing

ConsLacks clear criteria for who receives promotions, decision making can be slowed down by policy and red tape, work life balance is a challenge for those who want to be successful

Advice to Senior ManagementSenior management needs to role model the behavior they want to see in their employees. Do as I say, not as I do isn't an effective approach.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All 200 reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.