Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Apr 15, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

200 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Overall, pleasant experience working for the company

Finance Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsThe company has a friendly and collaborative work environment. Employees help each other to achieve goals. Good advancement opportunities at lower levels.

ConsLack of diversity at senior management level. Many senior managers have been working at the company for a long time, true leadership skills are at times absent, decision making and change execution are slow.

Advice to Senior ManagementIn today's global market, it is important to have diversified workforce at all levels. There is a distinct need d to diversify the senior management team at LMI to develop strong leadership talent.

A great place to establish yourself and build your career

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to work for with a chance for advancement. Good benefits, bonuses, and pay for performance. Company is profitable and led by a smart management team.

ConsThe company has a lot of bureaucracy, so it takes a long time to get things approved, which is the downside of working for a large company with over 50,000 employees. Internal apps are slow and hard to figure out how to use. Do not understand the need to radically cut expenses when the company has been so profitable.

Good, competitive company

Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsGreat colleagues, who want to do well.
Leadership is intelligent, dedicated

ConsAs a large organization, it's a challenge to get everyone going in the same direction.

Advice to Senior ManagementReinforce teamwork Be clear on the long-term strategy.

Good career experience

Human Resources (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

ProsProfessional environment, friendly employees, strong values

ConsBureaucratic, many levels, many processes

Advice to Senior ManagementMore communication needed companywide

Great place to work on challenging insurance business projects.

IT Employee (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFor IT, the pay is very competitive for the location we work in, without a commute into the big city.

ConsThe culture is just now beginning to change to one that can be flexible and scalable quickly. For many years, there have been too many silos of groups doing their own thing without looking at the bigger picture, the bigger prize, the smarter way to operate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a benefit to employees, you should offer us enough of a discount to keep our personal insurance business. Many employees don't have Liberty insurance because we get charged over a thousand dollars more per year than other top insurance companies. I like where I work, but come on, cut us some slack, we are why you are successful.

Continue looking at growing the business by supporting standardization of work across groups, get your rates down a little bit so we can increase volume of business to help fuel growth.

Excellent talent management organization with great career opportunities.

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

ProsSenior management leadership (especially in Personal Insurance)
Career flexibility and opportunity
Competitive compensation
Reasonable work/life balance

ConsConservative corporate culture
Most career opportunities centrally located (Boston)

Advice to Senior ManagementWe have a significant risk of losing out on talented millenials and young professionals starting their career. Do we have the right professional culture and career brand to attract these people?

Great company to start a career

Senior Financial Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsGreat company to start a career. You can get great experience working here. Good pay and ok benefits.

ConsWork and life balance is not good for some financial/accounting roles. Make sure to put your relationship with the manager first and your work second. This would get you places.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe careful about promoting people to management. Some managers are not very emotionally stable or knowledgable.

Lack of Ambition

Business Systems Analyst (Former Employee)
Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

ProsJob security, large company with good pay.

ConsPeople in my department lacked ambition

Fortune 100 Company, Great Pay, Great IT Co-Workers

Intern (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorked two summers at Liberty Mutual in both business and IT. The people are great. There is a lot of mobility. I know competent people in IT director positions that started in accounting.

ConsYou are working at an insurance company. Legacy systems. Full time benefits are OK, but where some companies offer 4 weeks vacation from the start and 100% 401k match, Liberty Mutual looks a little cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiberty focuses on the older customer with a family, which isn't an issue, but this demographic is changing. When this generation ages, and Geico is spending a billion on ads every year, what can you do to compete?

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Like all large companies, depends on what department you're in

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

ProsLarge presence in Boston with good opportunity for movement within the organization. 18 days of time off as a new hire grade 15 or below.

Good bonus opportunity based on company/unit performance

ConsFrequent (~1-2 years) reorganizations that impact some departments more than others from a workload and headcount perspective.

Work-life balance varies between units, for the most part expect a normal 8 hour workday (offical workday is 7.5 hours)

Advice to Senior ManagementI think management knows what they're doing. They've grown too big to be concerned about impact to individual employees.

Management is taking the company in the right direction but at the expense of employee benefits.

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings in Boston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All 200 reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.