Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews

Reset
2.0
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The work life balance is reasonable (in 85 reviews)

• Liberty Mutual was a large company with good benefits (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • I did not have a work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• no work/life balance but yet for years they are working on that to make our job easier; human resources is useless if you have a complaint (in 17 reviews)

1. Evolving slowly. Stay away from innovation groups, particularly in Personal Insurance.

Former Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

Pros

Company performance ensures bonus. Many good people.

Cons

Poor management, particularly of the innovation efforts. Highly political. Fast track promotions based on favoritism and allegiances. Continual reorganization. Poor senior managers never fired.

Advice to Management

Promote people with real experience, not just intelligence and quantitative skills. Stop worshipping consultants and listen to your people. Bring in new blood from other organizations to challenge standard thinking and propose outside the box solutions. Get rid of VPs and SVPs who don't perform.

2. Product Management Associate II

Current Employee - Associate II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Associate II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

great entry level company only

Cons

bad benefit and work life balance

Corporate hell hole

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some people are very nice, decent work-life balance, easy to spend your time doing whatever you want

Cons

Low pay, incessant corporatism, lots of incompetent people in power roles, tons of micromanagement and belittlement, very few people who understand what they're doing, lots of stupid people, worthless projects that do nothing. They push you into teaching you the corporate value of "respect," meaning tons of aggression hidden behind pretty corporate-speak. Micromanagement at every corner, including at least 2 time-tracking systems and they just implemented keeping track of the time you enter and leave the building. Unless you've been in the company for years, your opinion is never taken seriously. You'll have managers in charge of software projects who have no idea what goes into developing software, and serve only as another paycheck rider and middleman to slowdown the project. Very few people who are actually able to think for themselves and not just do what they're told from higher up. The office is like walking into a time machine into the 1980's.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like professionals, not cattle. Get rid of low performers who are just riding the corporate money horse. Improve your office conditions so that they're not from the 1980's.

If you want to do nothing and get paid, go for it

Former Employee - Associate Software Developer in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back atmosphere, relaxed, good benefits, new hampshire is a great state, great place if you want to just show up, browse Facebook, do a little work, and then leave after 8 hours

Cons

Nobody does any work, challenges are a joke, and the deadlines don't matter. There are a few technical people that deserve respect, but the vast majority do not deserve their "sr. software developer" titles. Most of them don't even develop any software! Also, people who have been there 30+ years and have no idea how the industry has changed in the meantime and still think COBOL is great. And don't even get me started on the H1Bs, absolutely useless. Overall, I learned some useful things but I think in the longterm it was just a huge waste of my time, especially since I had so many other opportunities lined up. BUT I had to fall for the benefits and salary and the signing bonuses, which in retrospect weren't really that good anyway, because as I found out, New Hampshire is not that much less expensive than the closest metro area, Boston, yet they still pay way under market from what you can get down there. PS. make sure any bonus you get is as a no strings attached bonus, otherwise if it's a "relocation" bonus, they'll make you pay it back in full if you leave before the year as one of my fellow IT Analysts learnt the hard way (this is the only reason I even stuck around as long as I did). And trust me, if you have any skill at all you will be wanting to leave asap once you get a full sense of the mediocrity that surrounds you.

Advice to Management

Fire 50% of IT. Stop squandering real talent. Open the lunch area past 3pm.

Micro-Managed Slave Ship

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Pay and benefits are nice and some of the people are very nice.

Cons

They micro manage everything you do, they have two time reporting systems, automated tracking of all tasks, endless meetings, 1:1 requirements with your manager every two weeks to go over your tasks. They have tons of corporate training you have to take for legal reasons dealing with respect of people, bias ect. Its like they feel everyone is a womanizer or a child that can not perform as a professional. They follow an Agile development plan where they burn you out with endless 2 week springs and tons of meetings and micromanagement to the point you never can keep up. Very little opportunity to move up.

Advice to Management

View your staff as professionals, give them a deadline and if they don't meet it then apply that to their performance reviews. End the micromanagement and get rid of this burn out Agile methodology.

Good money but lost its soul

Former Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Vice President in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Salary and benefits are great Good people to work with Interesting opportunities

Cons

Ridiculous rewards for upper echelon Always pushing experienced people out of organization Decent managers browbeat by awful director-level and above Department heads are out of touch and focused on their bonuses Highest levels lapping up luxury

Advice to Management

Stop spending millions on redecorating your office Stop giving multi millions in bonuses to highest levels only to eliminate worker spots - people are overworked so stop getting rid of folks

If you just want money but no career satisfaction

Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

Good pay for this area and they have a good benefits plan. They also have a nice bonus once a year for all employees based on the success of the company.

Cons

They use monolithic systems developed by ibm that should have been thrown out years ago. They have too many lifers that get fat off the company but refuse to change and now they are in positions of power so they can keep everyone under them down.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to the people in the trenches. They do the work they study the trends of their job. They have important opinions.

HR/Recruiting

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent training, very advanced with technology and ahead of the game in many ways compared to competitors in similar industry, base pay is competitive, convenient location in downtown Boston (accessible to multiple public transportation lines.)

Cons

Culture can be very exclusive, depending on which department you're in. Some folks are very clique-ish and aren't very welcoming to new employees. No work-life balance because you're working 60-80 hour weeks (again, this can depend on department); even if management "tells" you to work less, it's never possible with the amount of workload given. It's also not just one individual working long hours...the whole team practically works late and on weekends. Work-life flexibility could be improved, especially for those working in recruiting when they attend evenings events. Bonus structure should be re-examined.

Advice to Management

While it might depend on individual management, be mindful and share tips or advice for making Liberty a more inclusive atmosphere. Also, if you see your direct reports working on weekends and evenings, perhaps it's something to give strong consideration to and talk to upper management about, maybe even consider hiring an extra staff member or two. Once someone is working consistently long hours, it would be hard to expect excellent quality as well. Be mindful of work-life flexibility - if an employee has to work a number of evening events, perhaps you could let the employee work from home the next day (provide there are no mandatory in-person meetings).

Senior Project Manager

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

People were professional; however, the majority were overworked. The Portsmouth, NH office is located next to Pease airbase.

Cons

I use to receive e-mails dozens and dozens of e-mails at night. My boss use to send me 3-6 e-mails every morning around 3am. People were expected to work crazy hours all the time. Lots of turn-around. When i accepted the position, it was Boston based (a few miles from my home). However, i ended up traveling to NH everyday for a 120 mile round trip commute. The hours, expectations, travel and pay were simply not worth it.

Advice to Management

The workload is huge and staffing of projects is lean. My work e-mail averaged over 50 e-mails each night (after 7pm). Too much for the $,

Case Manager Associate

Former Employee - Associate Claims Case Manager in Natick, MA
    Former Employee - Associate Claims Case Manager in Natick, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you are a good employee, there will be growth. Good benefits.

Cons

I had way too many cases on my desk so I could not provide great customer service to everyone. I was frustrated.

Advice to Management

I had spoken to management at 2 different times about my caseload and nothing was done. So I quit.

Showing 43 of 1,656 reviews