Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,114 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 75 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 90 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge but that's pretty much corporate America (in 70 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

242 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

So so.

Former Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Director in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Pros are listed below.

1. Large organization with a multitude of opportunities. Potential to move to different teams exists.
    2. Compensation and benefits are generally at par with other insurance companies.

Cons

Like any large organization, they are groups / divisions with varying pros and cons. In general, my advice would be to avoid the Commercial Insurance group particularly Product Management. Some of the challenges observed are below.

1. Culture of Mediocracy: Select groups such as CI are tarnished with a culture that promotes mediocracy - out-performers are frequently singled out and targeted by petty politics and a largely clueless manager and SVP group.
    2. Cronyism: Cronyism is rampant in groups such as Commercial Insurance Product Management and the basis of most year end evaluations. Much of this is due to the fact that the leadership is extremely week and insecure.
    3. Committees: "Committees" are big. Everything must happen through a committee. A large dysfunctional bureaucracy, some committees will consistent of up to 50 people and 5 people will do 95% of the work.
    4. Individual Responsibility / Quality of Work: Given that the organization is plagued with bureaucrats and bureaucracy, individual responsibilities are very narrow and have limited potential. Consequently, limited opportunity to grow and learn.

If you are hard working, ambitious and creative, avoid this company.

1. The cultural issues in this company are largely a function of its senior leadership. I would encourage them to shy away from the cronyism and promote a culture that is based on merit.
    2. Management should be open to ideas, data and analysis. In general the Commercial Insurance Product Management SVP group cannot react to new ideas or opinions that may be different from their own. Too tied up in the past or in their own egos.
    3. Articulate a vision.

Intern Experience-YMMV

Current Employee - Finance in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Finance in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

The compensation was good(17/hour) as a sophomore intern, the amenities nice(had my own cubicle) and you can't beat the location. The large company also provides a lot of opportunity for moving around and strengthening your network given it's size. Business casual is also a plus too(it was a trial run this summer no idea if it's going to be implemented) plus good cafe and food services provided by the company.

Cons

The hiring process was a huge pain in the rear. My first interview was November on campus, followed by an email two weeks later to come to the office for the interview. They rescheduled me twice during January and I was told I would hear back in two weeks but didn't hear back for 3 MONTHS!!!

After that I was called about my lack of owning a credit card, and needed to jump through hoops to provide proof I was an enrolled student.

While an intern you could have compressed all the work I did to just a two week period. If it wasn't for the meetings which I was told by HR to keep my mouth shut during and the stupid busy work I got asked to do around the office such as filing I could have come in one day a week and got the same experience. The HR department seriously needs to get it's stuff together. Seriously disappointed in my experience here. I would advise interns to seek experiences elsewhere. Most of my work consisted of filing, preparing documents, or excel work lacking any real challenge or thought to it. I was essentially a secretary

Fire literally everyone in HR, reevaluate the process which departments go through to request interns, and make your hiring process faster. A 3 month wait period is incredibly unprofessional on your behalf. Out of 20 or so interns I have developed close contact with only one-two have any serious considerations to returning to this company. The irony of the selection process is that it's so competitive(mostly brand name business schools such as BC and Bentley with gpas of 3.5 or higher) is that the students have better opportunities elsewhere in consulting, advisory, wealth management or public accounting. Step up your game liberty mutual

Great place to build a career and develop professional long-term relationships.

Current Employee - Campus Recruiting Coordinator in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Campus Recruiting Coordinator in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great place to build a career and develop professional long-term relationships. Managers show geniune interest in your development and career goals.

Cons

Cannot think of any cons.

Advanced Analytics Intern

Current Employee - Advanced Analytics Intern in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advanced Analytics Intern in Boston, MA

Pros

Tons of opportunities to learn new skills from others;
    Great work-life balance;
    Free coffee;

Cons

Located in downtown Boston, might be expensive for housing

Keep up with Big Data era and hire more data scientists!

Good learning experience, not suitable for a career

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

They pay well, you learn a lot about technical or communication skills

Cons

People tend to be young and competitive, which makes things really gossipy and cliquey sometimes.

Job stability but nothing ground breaking.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Freedom to grow technically and professionally. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Things move at a glacial pace. There are opportunities for growth but things move extremely slow.

Great place to start

Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Exeter, NH
    Current Employee - Senior Business Analyst in Exeter, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

If your manager is right, personal growth can be phenomenal. Its best to shop around for the right manager and disregard things like commute, pay, job fit. Honesty having the right manager makes all the difference.

Cons

Leadership almost always comes from the ground up. Its best to disregard certain individuals despite title and stick to your best judgement. If direct answers are not received, then fill in your best answer and set a time frame. Careers here are not for the faint of heart, but this is something you'll learn as you go. Avoid consultants at all costs.

Terrible for Field Sales Reps

Current Employee - Sales Representative in Danvers, MA
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Danvers, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Can't think of any off the top of my head

Cons

Too Many to name here

Fast paced, focused on employee growth and lots of opportunities.

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst I in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst I in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at Liberty for over a year now and I am thrilled with the company. My group is upbeat, intelligent and fosters a great work environment.

Cons

My frustration lies with the healthcare coverage. I wish it were a little more comprehensive. However, the wages they pay seem to offset that.

Continue to improve benefits and offer more 401k options.

Ideal Environment to start a career

Current Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An abundance of great opportunities at the bottom, supportive and responsive supervisors and managers. Straight forward and open compensation strategy.

Cons

I have not experienced any to date. There are of course the normal elements of any large organization but nothing that sticks out or has been a significant hurdle.

Let's be the first major corporation to design a compensation package at the executive level that ends the companies financial liability to executives when they leave. The image of a few getting million dollar annual exit packages while pensions for the rank and file are constantly cutback should is a problem worthy of a solution

Liberty Mutual Insurance Photos