Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.4
1,197 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 85 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge but that's pretty much corporate America (in 78 reviews)

• Senior Management is not aligned, compensation lacking for increases, no work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

255 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Job stability but nothing ground breaking.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great work life balance. Freedom to grow technically and professionally. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Things move at a glacial pace. There are opportunities for growth but things move extremely slow.

Fast paced, focused on employee growth and lots of opportunities.

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst I in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst I in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I have been at Liberty for over a year now and I am thrilled with the company. My group is upbeat, intelligent and fosters a great work environment.

Cons

My frustration lies with the healthcare coverage. I wish it were a little more comprehensive. However, the wages they pay seem to offset that.

Continue to improve benefits and offer more 401k options.

gained alot of experience in the office setting

Former Employee - Senior Legal Office Assistant in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Legal Office Assistant in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

a great team of co-workers and management worked hard to satisfy the needs of employees.

Cons

short staffing led to some stressful situations

compensation could be better

Ideal Environment to start a career

Current Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

An abundance of great opportunities at the bottom, supportive and responsive supervisors and managers. Straight forward and open compensation strategy.

Cons

I have not experienced any to date. There are of course the normal elements of any large organization but nothing that sticks out or has been a significant hurdle.

Let's be the first major corporation to design a compensation package at the executive level that ends the companies financial liability to executives when they leave. The image of a few getting million dollar annual exit packages while pensions for the rank and file are constantly cutback should is a problem worthy of a solution

Great Internship

Current Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst Intern in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Competitive pay. Good work/life balance. Plenty of opportunities to network with other interns. Good perks that come with a big company.

Cons

Big company means lots of "red tape."

This is a great company if you are looking to pursue further education but cannot afford to pay for it.

Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Human Resources Professional in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Training is comprehensive,policies and rules are laid out for everyone to see and follow, compensation is great for the NH market, tuition reimbursement program is excellent, Human Resources are always there should you have an issue, grievance or complaint.

Cons

Depending on the department or manager you have- the culture and environment can be drastically different from department to department. I love the company as a whole and have met some fantastic people- but unfortunately the manager I've had the last 2 years is not exemplary of what a great manager is by any means. However nearby managers I've watched treat their employees with dignity, respect and encouragement- which is why I am looking to switch departments ASAP.

There should be 360 reviews on all managers. Employees are constantly being critiqued and called out by their managers, but there is no chance for employees to let management know how they are doing as managers. Most innovative companies use this approach- I'm surprised we aren't there yet.

Great place for a long career

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunity to work with great people, high level of intelligence, and top of the line technology and softwares. The bar is set very high and you are expected to keep up with the pace. There are a lot of resources if you want to learn more or expand your skill set. You are also encouraged to gain exposure to different business units and work in different groups.

Cons

The benefits are so-so: health insurance is a bit on the expensive side. Maternity policy is bad. Also, 37.5 hr work week seems great, but non-existent with the work load. Also, there is the "glass ceiling" if you don't move around ever year or two. Co is still somewhat stuck with the "Old Boys Club" mentality. Men definitely have the advantage, and if you don't take time out to do the "drink after work" now and then with your group, you lose credibility with your peers. Also, if you don't put in the extra effort to get "noticed", you will loose out on opportunities for promotion.

Take more notice and reward high performing employees with promotions and money so they don't leave.

Great Launching Pad

Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Professional development, Team Environment in select groups, open door policy, rewards, great benefits, able to move around within the company

Cons

Work-life balance, challenge taking time off, monotonous tasks, encouraged to answer emails after hours and take work home, change takes long,

Set a good example for employees, challenge the status quo, cultivate a creative work environment.

Current Employee

Current Employee - Advanced Analytics Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Advanced Analytics Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

good work/life balance, most people are really nice & helpful

Cons

same issues that facing any corporations with similar size

Great company, great benefits, great pay

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

This company is a great place to work. The salary and benefits are untouchable within the industry. There are so many areas within the company to grow and move.

Cons

Depending on where you are in the company, layoffs can tend to be frequent.

Stick to the basics