Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,083 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

243 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fortune 100 Company, Great Pay, Great IT Co-Workers

Current Employee - Intern  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Intern in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Worked two summers at Liberty Mutual in both business and IT. The people are great. There is a lot of mobility. I know competent people in IT director positions that started in accounting.

Cons

You are working at an insurance company. Legacy systems. Full time benefits are OK, but where some companies offer 4 weeks vacation from the start and 100% 401k match, Liberty Mutual looks a little cheap.

Liberty focuses on the older customer with a family, which isn't an issue, but this demographic is changing. When this generation ages, and Geico is spending a billion on ads every year, what can you do to compete?

Good lifestyle, but can be pushy

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Not much overtime, good pay, so you have time to enjoy your life outside the office.

Cons

Management can be very clear about what job or career they want you to take, so growing inside the company the way you want might be difficult. Obviously, this is different manager to manager.

Be more flexible, or you might lose people you don't want to lose.

Accountant

Former Employee - Accountant  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Accountant in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

employment, office located in good neighborhood in the city.

Cons

corporate structure, title driven, hard to advance, LOW pay compared to market, folks put themselves on pedestals because of their title, so much so that they wont respond to an email from lower level employees if theyre a manager (unless you include all those who are 'above' you on the email). reminds me of the book 1984. its easy to get pigeonholed. your experience is not transferable, so after 15 years as a Sr. Accountant, good luck if you get laid off due to restructure (which happens all the time). they encourage lateral moves to further diversify your background, which only spreads you thinner and less marketable outside. heavy heavy office politics. they don't care for their employees no matter what they preach, your treated like a child, not a professional. On days before holidays, grown adults "professionals'' sit around and wait for an email from mgt "allowing" them to leave early...really?? what is this 1st grade? no one knows what theyre talking about (non professional). they preach higher education, so many people enrolled in grad programs, and they dont know why theyre getting their degree. Oh because they wont promote you to manager w/o a masters (regardless of how much experience you have). stay away at all cost, "Start here go no where" should be the modo in the corp office. Full of people who put on a tie, work in the city get paid garbage and think their better than others. go elsewhere it will take you further, dont get caught in their trap. No training structure. I was let go as a result of a reorg, and literally 1 month later i found a role with another insurance company, paying me $22k more/year. I am not making that up. with 7 more vaca days and 10 actual sick days.

get over yourself, stop treating those who are not on the same level as you as inferior. care about the professional development of your staff. Pay market base salary.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company to start a career

Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Financial Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great company to start a career. You can get great experience working here. Good pay and ok benefits.

Cons

Work and life balance is not good for some financial/accounting roles. Make sure to put your relationship with the manager first and your work second. This would get you places.

Be careful about promoting people to management. Some managers are not very emotionally stable or knowledgable.

Lack of Ambition

Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

Pros

Job security, large company with good pay.

Cons

People in my department lacked ambition

Tough to break through the glass ceiling

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

work-life balance is not bad (but varies by department), tuition reimbursement, decent health insurance, training and personal development opportunities are very good.

Cons

Poor pay and challenging to find advancement opportunities. This company does not pay for performance. There is a disconnect between how well you perform in a given performance period and what your merit increase will be. If you reach the top of your pay grade, yet still exceed expectations performance wise, don't expect a merit increase that reflects how well you performed. You're told that if you exhibit that you are capable of performing the duties of the next job up from your current one, you'll get promoted. That is not true at all. Most managers will not go to bat for you. If you're going to work here, learn to stand up for yourself early on and push your managers to do their job and be your advocate. Even then there's no guarantees.

Very political and extremely difficult to break into the inner circle. Communication and flow of information tends to stop with that inner circle as well. There are some managers that buck this trend, but not nearly enough.

"Moving up" here means "moving on". If you're not comfortable changing jobs/departments/SBU's every couple of years, but want to advance in your career, this company is not for you.

Pension and 401K plan slashed in the midst of a record breaking year for the company.

Would like to see more opportunities for flexible working arrangements.

Growing very tired of all the re-orgs. It's to the point that you don't even have a chance to settle into the new organization before you're hit with another change.

Managers need to be better advocates for their direct reports. Recognition goes a long way. The message I keep hearing around here lately is that people are Senior Management's main concern. Say it all you want, but actions speak louder than words and I'm still waiting.

Fantastic opportunities but culture is less than desirable..

Former Employee - Manager  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Manager in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great opportunities, pay, and benefits.

Cons

Oh Liberty Mutual, how I don't miss you..AT ALL. Take a stroll down Boylston or Newbury, do you see people with their noses high in the air? If so, the majority of these folks are likely not just wealthy Boston Brahmins but Liberty Mutual employees. I spent a few years working at Liberty in a very modest paying role. It was great experience, I learned a tremendous amount, I had the opportunity to advance, but I could no longer stomach the culture in the Boston office. Think public school kid having to attend a snooty private high school for the first time and feeling very much excluded. This is exactly how I felt and I know others feel the same way. It is not an inclusive environment, but quite the opposite. Part of the problem is that (and I don't know why or how this started), Managers here are put on a pedestal and treated like Gods/celebrities. Especially, younger managers who have been promoted way too quickly. Flashing news- you work for an insurance company, you are not out there saving lives or researching how to cure cancer.

Additionally, this company is UBER political. Now I know that you are going to find this anywhere, but Liberty Mutual takes this to the extreme. Speak with any current or former employee and they will tell you the same. Unfortunately, this runs rampant throughout the Boston office and it is pretty much unavoidable. Liberty Mutual is homogenous in the sense that they hire based on whether or not you fit their "mold". You could be the smartest person out there with great experience, but if you do not look, act, or talk like a Banana Republic model, then you ain't getting the job! There is indeed corporate bullying and most of this comes from some of Liberty's female manager population (at least in my experience), particularly within their Human Resources organization. There are a few female leaders at the top of the Liberty Mutual HR "food chain" who are some of the most vicious and catty women I have ever dealt with in my life. The bottom line is this, some people might thrive in an environment like this and not let the culture "get" to them. However, if the above is something you think would bother you, then I would not ever recommend working here. My life is 100% better now that I have moved on to an organization where people are respectful, kind, and grounded.

Start taking a hard look at your exit interview information or you will continue to lose good people.

Like all large companies, depends on what department you're in

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Large presence in Boston with good opportunity for movement within the organization. 18 days of time off as a new hire grade 15 or below.

Good bonus opportunity based on company/unit performance

Cons

Frequent (~1-2 years) reorganizations that impact some departments more than others from a workload and headcount perspective.

Work-life balance varies between units, for the most part expect a normal 8 hour workday (offical workday is 7.5 hours)

I think management knows what they're doing. They've grown too big to be concerned about impact to individual employees.

Management is taking the company in the right direction but at the expense of employee benefits.

Don't Turn 50 Years Old

Current Employee - Manager  in  Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Manager in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Very nice environment to work in with current technology. The people here work very hard and do great things. Work Life Balance has historically been tough here, but SOME managers have a heart and will be flexible with compensating for night / weekend work

Cons

Once you turn 50 and make a really good salary, they look to manage you out of the company. I personally know of 3 people that this has happened to in the last 10 years.

People with Grey hair can be valuable to those in their 30's

Great Culture

Current Employee - Senior Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Work Life Balance, interesting work.

Cons

Large company... sometimes hard to make a meaningful impact.

Continue to do what you are doing.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!