Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews in Chicago, IL

Updated Jun 5, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance(in 69 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance(in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees(in 32 reviews)

28 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Senior Case Manager

Senior Case Manager (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsPay, Benefits, Vacation Time, Amazing Mangers

ConsClaims, Not easy to move around within company

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

Good Place to Learn the Insurance Business

Personal Sales Representative (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsThey have a very good "new hire training program" with some competitive products in the local market. Very good benefits and decent starting pay.

ConsThey lack a follow through with training after initial 90 day period which leads to an enormous turnover rate among the sales staff. Direct management has less involvement in the career development and more to do with micro-managing your activity.

Advice to Senior ManagementTry to spend more time qualifying managers to see if they can develop your reps. This would lead to a positive environment which in itself would help breed success and lower turnover.

Too much is expected for the lowly Customer Claims Reps. You will become an alcoholic

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsThe money, that is it

ConsAs a CCR, EVERY minute that you are there they are watching what you are doing. (I was reprimanded for using the bathroom not on a break). Your phone calls are all monitored, you are expected to do alot of off the phones work and if it takes too long you are reprimanded for being off the phones. If you LOVE micromanagememt, APPLY!

I usually think people who give reviews like mine are jaded ex employees, but my training class of 10 people has already lost 2 people bc it was too stressful, the slot that was open for my position was only open because the girl who was in it left after ONE week.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Great company with amazing benefits.

Sales Representative (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

ProsIf you are a top seller with the company or already have insurance experience, you stand to make a lot of money.

ConsIt is very hard for young professionals to be taken seriously in the industry. You have to be able to leave your comfort zone to do well.

If you want to work somewhere where they have a rule/policy for EVERYTHING, this is the place

Claims (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsFor the most part they have really good people that work here

ConsLong hours, forced to skip breaks and lunches to meet the demand. There really is rule or a policy for everything as if claims are one size fits all. Does not allow for critical thinking and more of a check the box mentality.

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement knows that claims has become a check the box mentality but there is nothing they can do about it. They just roll it down.

Confusing

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Chicago, IL

ProsPeople are friendly that are not in your area.

ConsLack of training of the Liberty processes. Also many different departments perform the same tasks lots of redundancy.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure that when you hire staff they are properly trained in the company processes.

Liberty Mutual is way behind in the Insurance Industry, Auto Claims was the worst job I have ever had.

Senior Customer Claims Representative (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsBenefits, pension, 401k, time off

ConsThe entire job is a con. The workload and deadlines are just ridiculous. The goals are set so high that they almost make it impossible for you to meet "CSAT" scores, which affect your bonus and raise. Everyone is micro-managed to the max. I have never seen a company micro manage so much. Management of course does nothing but tell you what you are doing wrong and never what you are doing right. The hours are very bad, two weekend shifts a month, and almost never get out on time.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people to balance the workload. Dont make employees act like robots on the phone. Tell QA to cool it and let a person act like a human on the phone instead of a robot.

Fake at times

Senior Global Claims Adjuster for Auto (Former Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsEmployees are great. Upper management maintains follow through.

ConsHours are terrible. Office Politics are rigorous. Management paints a pretty picture that shows simplicities in forward growth within organization... however it isn't as simple as the picture they portray. People are hired for better positions from outside of the company rather than from within. Goals such as expected metrics are skewed by direct management. It's each person for themselves pretending to be a team player.

Advice to Senior ManagementKnow really well what your team managers are up to.

Great Company

Auditor (Former Employee) Hoffman Estates, IL

Pros-Training process was very detailed and very welcoming
    -They were very professional and compassionate during the lay off process.
    -Peers and management were all great people to work for and with.
    -Working here felt like working as a family

Cons-There didn't seem to be any place for me to move on to in the company or any type of advancement. I was laid off and there wasn't really any help trying to find a new position in the firm.

Advice to Senior ManagementI was only there for a few months before I was laid off. The management was very good when I worked there. There was a little favoritism in the workplace to certain employees. As a manager that should be kept to a minimum but is found in almost any company you work at.

Very stressful, high workload position in a glorified call center

Senior Customer Claims Representative (Current Employee) Warrenville, IL

ProsGreat co-workers. Some managers are great (others are horrible and micromanage). Good benefits. They do try to do the right thing for their customers, ultimately.

ConsIn claims, even when there is not a catastrophe, the workloads are very high. Management is obsessed with metrics, and lots of them, and have very unrealistic goals for each one of them. They really stress high levels of customer service, yet with the amount of claims you are expected to handle, it's impossible to reach out to every insured and help them through the process appropriately. You'll spend more time working other peoples claims then your own, unless you can get approval to work overtime. Every department in claims is overworked and always behind. Some of the team managers understand the adjusters frustrations, but are unable to get upper management to care or listen. Customers constantly complain that they never speak to the same adjuster, it really is just a glorified call center.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop trying using a factory, call center approach to claims. Either go with excellent customer service, or churn through claims like a factory. Doesn't work both ways.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!