Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated February 14, 2015
4.3

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 85 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge but that's pretty much corporate America (in 78 reviews)

• Senior Management is not aligned, compensation lacking for increases, no work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

55 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Great benefits, relaxed atmosphere

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Strong benefits, excellent work-life balance, pay for performance

Cons

steep learning curve for those new to the insurance industry

Management does a great job of keeping goals aligned with the company vision

Compensation is great

Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Data Analyst in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

This company pays well and provides an annual bonus that is incredibly generous.

Cons

Work-life balance is not a priority and management is chaotic.

Great place to start

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Ease you in, a lot of training, great management. Cares about employees. Great working environment, flexibility, work-life balance

Cons

Organizational structure can be a bit confusing and lead to operational inefficiencies

What a satisfying experience! Highly recommend this company.

Current Intern - IT Intern in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Extreme sense of belonging, supportive management, wonderful environment.

Cons

Big organization, slow project movement.

Learned a lot

Former Intern - IT Intern in Dover, NH
    Former Intern - IT Intern in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Liberty gave me the opportunity to write automated test scripts as an intern, which was really rewarding because, to my knowledge, they are still using them. The people at Liberty are generally very friendly and were open to helping me learn, and my manager geared my internship toward my interests. Work-life balance is great; Liberty employees only work 7.5 hour days and get phenomenal benefits.

Cons

The pay is competitive but not fantastic. I got the sense that the developers were not very passionate about their work and for the most part, people seemed "just content" with working at Liberty.

Continue doing what you are doing. Insurance isn't easy for employees to like, but Liberty Mutual is.

Great internship

Current Intern - IT Intern in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Good pay, good benefits, employees genuinely care about you, fun intern trips/events, and full time offers

Cons

Not much work, gets boring

Be more prepared with interesting work to give out

Great place to work, but you have to be willing to work hard

Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Analyst II in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is by far the best in the area. The company takes care of you with regards to getting paid. The benefits package is also much better than I have seen from my other working friends.

Cons

You have to be willing to work all the time. If you aren't understanding something, there is not always someone around to train you so you should be good a teaching yourself and putting in extra hours until you get the hang of the job.

Direct supervisor makes ALL the difference.

Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Internal Wholesaler in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Solid company, industry leader, but experiencing growing pains as the business has been exploding! Overall very positive company culture and atmosphere, employees are valued, room for professional growth.

Cons

In general, it's a great place to work, with lots of great, talented people. However, individual supervisors can crush work group morale and micromanage to death. With a pattern of explosive growth over the past several years, information sharing is a key to success, but a micromanager who keeps information from the team can make it a very difficult place to be day after day. This is not unlike other corporate offices: the direct supervisor makes ALL the difference.

Upper management needs to help supervising managers handle their jobs better and respect their teams abilities, rather than just moving the problem manager to a different department.

Professional and responsible, like meeting a CPA on a blind date

Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, pension (rare these days), and employee recognition system. Management level and above have flexibility to work from home.

Cons

Some internal politics, primarily a cubicle environment, company is (understandably) risk-averse to the point where things like an on-site workout facility is thought to be too risky.

Upper management has recently changed, and some of the things I liked about the company are also changing. I would advise not to change for the sake of change. Even the most cost-effective decision can have unintended negative consequences.

Fast paced, focused on employee growth and lots of opportunities.

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst I in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst I in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

I have been at Liberty for over a year now and I am thrilled with the company. My group is upbeat, intelligent and fosters a great work environment.

Cons

My frustration lies with the healthcare coverage. I wish it were a little more comprehensive. However, the wages they pay seem to offset that.

Continue to improve benefits and offer more 401k options.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Photos