Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,080 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

34 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Excellent company with some large, old company quirks

Current Employee - Product Management  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Product Management in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Challenging work, mostly friendly people, definitely not full of Type-A step over your dead carcass type. Lots of different disciplines and business units to choose from. Benefits are pretty standard but the pension and generous FTO are great!

Cons

Company is slow to remove poor performers and that creates burden on others.

Job stability but nothing ground breaking.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great work life balance. Freedom to grow technically and professionally. Fantastic benefits.

Cons

Things move at a glacial pace. There are opportunities for growth but things move extremely slow.

Great place to work on challenging insurance business projects.

Current Employee - IT Employee  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - IT Employee in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

For IT, the pay is very competitive for the location we work in, without a commute into the big city.

Cons

The culture is just now beginning to change to one that can be flexible and scalable quickly. For many years, there have been too many silos of groups doing their own thing without looking at the bigger picture, the bigger prize, the smarter way to operate.

As a benefit to employees, you should offer us enough of a discount to keep our personal insurance business. Many employees don't have Liberty insurance because we get charged over a thousand dollars more per year than other top insurance companies. I like where I work, but come on, cut us some slack, we are why you are successful.

Continue looking at growing the business by supporting standardization of work across groups, get your rates down a little bit so we can increase volume of business to help fuel growth.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Fortune 100 Company, Great Pay, Great IT Co-Workers

Current Employee - Intern  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Intern in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Worked two summers at Liberty Mutual in both business and IT. The people are great. There is a lot of mobility. I know competent people in IT director positions that started in accounting.

Cons

You are working at an insurance company. Legacy systems. Full time benefits are OK, but where some companies offer 4 weeks vacation from the start and 100% 401k match, Liberty Mutual looks a little cheap.

Liberty focuses on the older customer with a family, which isn't an issue, but this demographic is changing. When this generation ages, and Geico is spending a billion on ads every year, what can you do to compete?

IT Application Support

Former Employee - IT Analyst  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - IT Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Latest Technology IBM WAS Guide Wire

Cons

Training on Insurance business

Positive and growing, but frustratingly slow and unbalanced.

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

The company has excellent benefits with time off, 401K matching, and health benefits. There are many opportunities and a wide range of positions. Jobs are relatively secure and work life balance is considered.

Cons

Want to achieve and produce? You won't see much for it. Promotions for performance? Not really--you won't be picked unless you apply. Your career is in your hands, but slow growth is the norm here. Set your sights on senior management from the bottom?--forget it. The common theme among executives is that they aren't homegrown.

There are no formal, anonymous review of managers by their direct reports. This is inherently flawed and needs to change. Secondly, in regards to the college rotational programs, there needs to be active career development on the part of the program leaders--stagnant development just doesn't cut it.

Liberty mutual- a great place to start

Current Employee - Systems Software Engineer  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Systems Software Engineer in Portsmouth, NH

Pros

flex hours, housing stipend, helpful mentors, really just a nice environment to work in, and you are allowed to work from home sometimes in your internship

Cons

I really cannot say anything bad about liberty mutual, even the food is great in the cafe. The only negative is the drive from local communities

Make more regular weekly meeting with your intern, they are often very lost early on.

Great company for career oriented individuals

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

- good promotion opportunities
    - good benefits
    - employee charity contribution program
    - generally cares for the health and well being of its employees

Cons

- quality of work life is manager dependent (as with many places)
    - not too much room for innovation and creativity in role
    - performance expectations could be unrealistic

Internal Politics, but a growing company

Former Employee - IT Project Manager  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Growing, trying to be pro-active towards the future with online, eCommerce, etc. If you end up in the right team, it's a good place to be and a lot of people make a career here.

Cons

Challenges integrating their direct sales agents, traditional agent network, and online and direct sales models.

Internal politics can be brutal. You've got to be buddies with the right people.

Past Intern

Former Employee - IT Intern  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

* Training
    * Competitive Pay
    * Mentors
    * NIce company environment

Cons

* location (very limited for IT intern/ new hires)

If you plan on having interns maybe having a plan before they come, so we're not doing just busy work halfway through the program. I learned a lot of valuable lessons, but I felt like I could've been challenged a little bit more.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!