Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Mar 22, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

30 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to work on challenging insurance business projects.

IT Employee (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 10 years

ProsFor IT, the pay is very competitive for the location we work in, without a commute into the big city.

ConsThe culture is just now beginning to change to one that can be flexible and scalable quickly. For many years, there have been too many silos of groups doing their own thing without looking at the bigger picture, the bigger prize, the smarter way to operate.

Advice to Senior ManagementAs a benefit to employees, you should offer us enough of a discount to keep our personal insurance business. Many employees don't have Liberty insurance because we get charged over a thousand dollars more per year than other top insurance companies. I like where I work, but come on, cut us some slack, we are why you are successful.

Continue looking at growing the business by supporting standardization of work across groups, get your rates down a little bit so we can increase volume of business to help fuel growth.

Fortune 100 Company, Great Pay, Great IT Co-Workers

Intern (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

ProsWorked two summers at Liberty Mutual in both business and IT. The people are great. There is a lot of mobility. I know competent people in IT director positions that started in accounting.

ConsYou are working at an insurance company. Legacy systems. Full time benefits are OK, but where some companies offer 4 weeks vacation from the start and 100% 401k match, Liberty Mutual looks a little cheap.

Advice to Senior ManagementLiberty focuses on the older customer with a family, which isn't an issue, but this demographic is changing. When this generation ages, and Geico is spending a billion on ads every year, what can you do to compete?

– I'm optimistic about the outlook for this company

IT Application Support

IT Analyst (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

ProsLatest Technology IBM WAS Guide Wire

ConsTraining on Insurance business

Positive and growing, but frustratingly slow and unbalanced.

Business Systems Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

ProsThe company has excellent benefits with time off, 401K matching, and health benefits. There are many opportunities and a wide range of positions. Jobs are relatively secure and work life balance is considered.

ConsWant to achieve and produce? You won't see much for it. Promotions for performance? Not really--you won't be picked unless you apply. Your career is in your hands, but slow growth is the norm here. Set your sights on senior management from the bottom?--forget it. The common theme among executives is that they aren't homegrown.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere are no formal, anonymous review of managers by their direct reports. This is inherently flawed and needs to change. Secondly, in regards to the college rotational programs, there needs to be active career development on the part of the program leaders--stagnant development just doesn't cut it.

Great company for career oriented individuals

IT Analyst (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros- good promotion opportunities
- good benefits
- employee charity contribution program
- generally cares for the health and well being of its employees

Cons- quality of work life is manager dependent (as with many places)
- not too much room for innovation and creativity in role
- performance expectations could be unrealistic

Liberty mutual- a great place to start

Systems Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

Prosflex hours, housing stipend, helpful mentors, really just a nice environment to work in, and you are allowed to work from home sometimes in your internship

ConsI really cannot say anything bad about liberty mutual, even the food is great in the cafe. The only negative is the drive from local communities

Advice to Senior ManagementMake more regular weekly meeting with your intern, they are often very lost early on.

Internal Politics, but a growing company

IT Project Manager (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

ProsGrowing, trying to be pro-active towards the future with online, eCommerce, etc. If you end up in the right team, it's a good place to be and a lot of people make a career here.

ConsChallenges integrating their direct sales agents, traditional agent network, and online and direct sales models.

Internal politics can be brutal. You've got to be buddies with the right people.

Past Intern

IT Intern (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros* Training
* Competitive Pay
* Mentors
* NIce company environment

Cons* location (very limited for IT intern/ new hires)

Advice to Senior ManagementIf you plan on having interns maybe having a plan before they come, so we're not doing just busy work halfway through the program. I learned a lot of valuable lessons, but I felt like I could've been challenged a little bit more.

ok

Senior Software Engineer (Current Employee)
Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for more than 5 years

Prosgood culture, nice working conditions

Consincrements will be very low

Good, but not getting better

Systems Administrator (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

ProsSalary and benefits are very competitive. Excellent job security. If management identifies you as a top performer you will get plenty of bonuses and have excellent promotion opportunities. Management is very flexible regarding time off and working from home. Most managers want you to be successful.

ConsTons of bureaucracy and red tape. IT is very understaffed and is slowly getting leaner. Work/life balance is diminishing

Advice to Senior ManagementMake up your mind. Every year or so we have a change in management that dramatically changes how we do things. Before we can finish implementing changes we go off in a different direction because the last change didn't work.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings in Portsmouth, NH — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All 30 reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.