Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,082 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

The Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, ok benefits

Cons

As a former field property loss specialist, I found the workload totally unreasonable. It did not lend to a healthy work/life balance. On average, I was putting in about 65 hours per week. This was due in part to their refusal to add staff in the area. They had the audacity to tell me that they only needed two reps in a metropolitan area of 4 million. I left after one year. Prior to my taking the position, two others had my position and also left within a year. I spoke to both and they left for the exact same reason as I did. When I gave my two weeks, I was told I could work the two weeks as I wanted to clean up as many files as possible. Three days later, I am told "today is my last day" and I was then locked out of the system(while I was out inspecting a loss)". While I wasn't disappointed in being locked out if their archaic system, I was disappointed in how it was handled. I was also disappointed in their claims processes, their staffing model, and their company culture as a whole. I'm currently an analyst for a large insurance broker and constantly have to battle them regarding their rates, and processes. They are also running a good company(Safeco) into the ground. If I could give "the bird" for a rating I would

Staff Properly and promote managers who have actual field experience instead of inside adjusters

Really great company, and a great working environment

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative  in  Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Steady employment. Decent morale. Management all seem very competent. Its a company of integrity.

Cons

I could nit pick about micro-mgmnt and that sort of thing, but when you run a call center, you DO have to micromanage because even one minute wasted per employee adds up big time over the year with the hundreds of employees. There were some things I, personally, didn't like. But that was just me, and more MY issue than the company's. I ended up quitting b/c some parts were stressful to me, but they weren't stressful to the other employees. Many, many people were very happy there.

My #1 advice is to do everything in your power to keep morale high, among ALL the employees, on every level. Customers can sense when morale is good vs. bad, and it helps them feel better about the company as well.

Peaceful consistency in every office, wonderful opportunity to grow and move.

Current Employee - Insurance Assistant  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Irving, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is considerably fair, and the opportunities to pursue your interest are plentiful. The benefits are out of this world, with tons of vacation time beginning very quickly after you're hired.

Cons

There is some management bloat, sometimes causing communication problems and making changes difficult to implement and monitor.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Well Organized, Good Pay, Somewhat Old Fashioned

Former Employee - Senior Underwriter  in  Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Underwriter in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Excellent communication with employees about the expectations of the job, performance and possibility for promotions. The implementation of the LMS (derivative of Toyota's LEAN system) keeps the company serving its external clients well from the lower levels. My salary was competitive and the bonus calculations are fantastic. The insurance, 401(k), pension (rare for companies these days) and overall benefits are well above average. The overall employee support system is excellent in all aspects. The company pays exceptional bonuses for AICPCU designations and also has a fantastic college tuition reimbursement system. The company is also very organized with respect to catastrophe response and community support after catastrophes. I felt compensation was very good and above market for what I was doing.

Cons

Limited underwriting authority for experienced employees. Decisions are made slowly and with multi-layered approval requirements for even simple approvals. Due to the lack of underwriting authority in the Commercial divisions, there is limited opportunity for personal growth. The LMS system of management is not implemented across all layers - it's only at the bottom. Once a problem hits middle management you're in the 1970's in terms of layers of centralized management. The company is heavy on middle management bureaucracy and this slows down decision making and frustrates customers. Liberty has so many meetings for even lower level employees I had a difficult time completing work at times. LMS involves a lot of meetings for line level employees in the name of continuous improvement.

Talk to employees about how they feel about limited authority and constant meetings.

Great company, not a lot of direction

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

I think its a great company overall but management seems myopic and distracted.

Cons

Senior management seems MIA. No one replies to emails. Workload varies and seems dead end at times.

Pay attention to the front lines people more. They know what's going on.

law clerk

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

flexible hours/scheduling around law school schedule.

Cons

practice areas were limited, as were opportunities for law clerks.

Innovative early adopter of analytics

Former Employee - Digital Analyst  in  Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Digital Analyst in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for more than 5 years

Pros

Great opportunities to personally impact the companies growth.
    Highly developed analytics practise with market leading technology.
    Managers are well trained to recognize and reward good work.

Cons

The office culture is too conservative. I agree with dressing professionally but am not pleased with the mandatory suit and tie policy. It's just superficial.

Consider loosening up on legacy policies, allow employees to work from home if that's what they prefer.

Great company

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Opportunity for advancement. More and more employees are working from remote offices in lieu of moving to Home Office.

Cons

With any large company, there can be a lack of transparency and communication

Good pay, but they make you really work for it.

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

-Good pay and benefits
    -One of the best vacation policies available
    -Lots of career opportunities

Cons

-They do make you really work for your money, I get that you have to earn what you make, but they are very demanding.
    -The company is top-heavy with management - lots of people making big decisions who haven't worked in insurance before.
    -Although there are a lot of career opportunities, many good-paying opportunities require a lot of travel - not good when you have a family to take care of.

-Listen more to your employees, they are your lifeline and do want to help the company succeed.
    -Consider more teleconferencing instead of making people travel so much.

Great work experience.

Former Employee - IT Applications Support L3  in  Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - IT Applications Support L3 in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as a contractor for less than a year

Pros

Worked with IBM WAS. Great technology

Cons

Poor office culture, not getting any help from anyone

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!