Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Jul 23, 2014

3.2 1,014 reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance(in 69 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits(in 84 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance(in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees(in 32 reviews)

1,014 Employee Reviews

Great place to build a career and develop professional long-term relationships.

Campus Recruiting Coordinator (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsGreat place to build a career and develop professional long-term relationships. Managers show geniune interest in your development and career goals.

ConsCannot think of any cons.

Manager

ProsGood company to work for

ConsGood company in the city to work for.

Great Company! Great People! Great Place to Work!

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWorking for Liberty in the Safeco Center in Seattle downtown, I love what the company stands for, how innovative it is in terms of IT/software/etc, and how hard-working yet "chill" my colleagues are. Both the Seattle buildings (Safeco Center and Safeco Plaza) are really nice and well-located. The work-life balance is great, especially as an entry-level hire/young hire (1-2 years). Salary/benefits are good too!

ConsSince Liberty is primarily an East Coast-based company, the work hours for the Seattle employees tend to shift earlier to accomodate those employees in Boston, New Hampshire, and Indianapolis. So, key work hours in Seattle usually range from 7 AM to 3 PM, which can be hard on those who aren't "morning people." Otherwise, everything else about the company is great!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at Liberty should continue what they have been doing at the company over the past 5 years! They have pushed the organization to new heights, as it has become a model for how modern insurance companies should be led. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with our current high level executives/managers!

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Liberty is a great company to work for

Senior Business Analyst (Current Employee)

ProsThey recognize talent and help you excel in your role. I've been here for 4 years and have been promoted 3 times. The culture of the company is amazing. They support lean and continuous improvement. My role has allowed me to work from home on several occasions

ConsAt times the work-life balance gets a little crazy. I have to stop myself from checking my work email once i get home from work.

Big company, big opportunities...But behind the times in many respects.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Wausau, WI

ProsOpportunities for promotion, above-average salaries, great performance recognition programs. The Wausau location has a great cafeteria and more bathrooms than you could ever imagine. Both are nice to have when you need to escape from time to time.

ConsCubicle environment, micromanagement abounds, and overly politically-correct atmosphere. There are certainly egos at play in any major corporation, and LM is no exception. Beware managers that fear their employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementConduct anonymous surveys of employees that ask tough questions about management, ideas, and concerns. You have many great people working for you that need flexibility (working remotely). Communicate with your employees about upcoming changes, etc. And trust them to appropriately digest the information.

A good company to work for out of college

Senior Field Claims Specialist (Former Employee) Somerset, NJ

ProsA good company to work for out of college

ConsBe very careful of eliminated positions, you do not want it to happen to you!

Excellent work-life balance

Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat environment to work at, very understanding managers, great colleagues, excellent work life balance. Excellent 401K program if you work more than 1 year. Cheap insurance coverage. Good onboarding experience. Good system in place to install software on computers. The leadership seems very determined to get feedback and makes changes. You sometimes get free tickets to the Seattle Mariners and Sounders games. Managers are transparent in communications to and from leadership. Fantastic leave policies starting from the first year itself. Rewards system is very good (the ability to redeem rewards for gifts).

ConsThe Seattle teams are just building up their technical skills, so compensation for technical employees is lesser than the market standard. Technology wise, the company is still lagging behind and is slowly playing catch-up. TV's in every floor show just CNN and use only one-third of the screen - quite pointless. The free wi-fi is very slow. Having different cube sizes based on grade levels is quite demoralizing to junior employees. Lots of IT security restrictions in place. You cannot work on a computer besides your work laptop - you cannot log in from home on your personal workstation. I found the work I do a bit boring (but that's just a personal opinion).

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to hire people suitable to their long term plan and vision, especially in more technical roles. Need to recognize the importance of technology in business and invest more. Have a fast track to promote exceptional junior grade employees faster.

Long live Liberty

Sales (Current Employee) Atlanta, GA

ProsGood benefits and local focus on the team.

ConsUpper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementRemember who is the face of the company to the customer!

Great Company

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Cincinnati, OH

ProsGreat benefits and compensation. Many different career paths and plenty of opportunities for advancement. Overall culture is great with leadership being doing things the right way.

ConsSome areas of operation can only be found in Boston, MA, which is where the home office is located. Field operations are centered more on the insurance business, which is to be expected.

Advanced Analytics Intern

Advanced Analytics Intern (Current Employee) Boston, MA

ProsTons of opportunities to learn new skills from others;
    Great work-life balance;
    Free coffee;

ConsLocated in downtown Boston, might be expensive for housing

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep up with Big Data era and hire more data scientists!

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!