Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews

Reset
3.4
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The work life balance is reasonable (in 85 reviews)

• Liberty Mutual was a large company with good benefits (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • I did not have a work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• no work/life balance but yet for years they are working on that to make our job easier; human resources is useless if you have a complaint (in 17 reviews)

1,560 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Top-notch Fortune 100 company

Current Employee - Project Leader - Special Projects IC in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Project Leader - Special Projects IC in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very competitive salary, excellent vacation policy and a robust benefits package. The people here are smart, bright and professional individuals (in my organization at least). A lot of tenured folks; some have been here for 20+, 30+ years, which has somewhat of a correlation to how much they enjoy their work. I have worked for a number of world-class companies, but by far, Liberty Mutual has been my favorite. My boss is great, I love my co-workers and the opportunities worldwide are endless.

Cons

Liberty Mutual has been in business for ages, and some of that conservative culture is apparent. Though recently, they have been pushing out initiatives to change that. Business suits are no longer mandatory in their Boston headquarters, paid maternal/paternal leave just got introduced, work from home schedules are being piloted and we now have casual Fridays. One area of improvement would be work/life balance for some departments. My observation is that some functions have a harder time managing their work or being able to take all the time off that Liberty offers. Like other conglomerates, changes take time here. There is a lot of red tape. If you are coming from a smaller firm or a start-up, the pace of change can frustrate you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Continue onwards with your strengths, and improve on areas that need addressed per the employee opinion surveys.

2. great place to work

Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Business Analyst II in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A great place to grow in your career, great pay and benefits.

Cons

Typical financial services/corporate atmosphere, not much room for creativity, things move slowly.

3. Great Work Life Balance for Entry Level Positions

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Provides a great work life balance (37.5 hrs/week for entry level) Pay is good for entry level Patient Management provides a lot of learning tools Good opportunity for advancement

Cons

Typical Large corporation - takes a long time to process any requests, and you will probably never see the CEO, I don't know much about what the senior management is doing Can sometimes feel like your still in school with the Development Programs The higher in the company you get, the work-life balance drops significantly

5. Loved Working there!

Pros

Flexibility, interesting job, fun coworkers ..it was a great experience!

Cons

Limited mobility when working at a smaller campus

6. Working to improve

Pros

Great vacation time and benefits are incredible. The company is working to better its stake in the industry

Cons

Work life balance is a struggle, management focus on what is wrong and not what the employees are excelling in.

Advice to Management

Congratulate more

7. Great Benefits

Current Employee - Lead Service Specialist in Philadelphia, PA
    Current Employee - Lead Service Specialist in Philadelphia, PA

Pros

company offers 401-k and great benefits.

Cons

Reorganizations within the company lead to major layoffs

8. Caring Employer, Engaging Work

Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance (More than a year)

Pros

schedule, innovative work, sense of purpose

Cons

cliques, many levels of middle management, tenure matters more than it should

9. RMDP - Risk Control

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The program is run by the ideology that you will be thrown into the deep end of the pool, but there will always be a life jacket. From my experience sometimes you sink below the water and it gets scary, but then you pop right back up with the help of the team and everything is okay. This position is challenging, fast moving and VERY team oriented. Being able to prioritize ones workload is also key.

Cons

Not really a con, but a thing you need to be able to learn quickly, at least for me, is that everything cannot be completed in a day. Work will spill over into the next day and that is okay.

10. Call center

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Good pays for regular hours

Cons

Hard to move up, limited opportunities

11. RMDP - Risk Control

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is flexible and different every day. One day you may be helping a school improve their safety program; the next day you may be helping a heavy manufacturing facility. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and promotion. Employees with more seniority are happy to mentor new employees and share their knowledge.

Cons

This job would not be good for someone who does not want to focus on their job alone. For the first 5-6 years of employment you may be moving to one coast and then to the other. For many, that is a pro. But for someone who wants to live close to home for their entire career, this job may not be the right choice for you.

Showing 1,560 of 1,658 reviews