Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews

Reset
3.5
Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The work life balance is reasonable (in 85 reviews)

• Liberty Mutual was a large company with good benefits (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • I did not have a work/life balance (in 78 reviews)

• no work/life balance but yet for years they are working on that to make our job easier; human resources is useless if you have a complaint (in 17 reviews)

1,009 Employee Reviews

1. Featured Review

Top-notch Fortune 100 company

Current Employee - Project Leader - Special Projects IC in Dover, NH
    Current Employee - Project Leader - Special Projects IC in Dover, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very competitive salary, excellent vacation policy and a robust benefits package. The people here are smart, bright and professional individuals (in my organization at least). A lot of tenured folks; some have been here for 20+, 30+ years, which has somewhat of a correlation to how much they enjoy their work. I have worked for a number of world-class companies, but by far, Liberty Mutual has been my favorite. My boss is great, I love my co-workers and the opportunities worldwide are endless.

Cons

Liberty Mutual has been in business for ages, and some of that conservative culture is apparent. Though recently, they have been pushing out initiatives to change that. Business suits are no longer mandatory in their Boston headquarters, paid maternal/paternal leave just got introduced, work from home schedules are being piloted and we now have casual Fridays. One area of improvement would be work/life balance for some departments. My observation is that some functions have a harder time managing their work or being able to take all the time off that Liberty offers. Like other conglomerates, changes take time here. There is a lot of red tape. If you are coming from a smaller firm or a start-up, the pace of change can frustrate you.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. Continue onwards with your strengths, and improve on areas that need addressed per the employee opinion surveys.

2. Call center

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Good pays for regular hours

Cons

Hard to move up, limited opportunities

3. RMDP - Risk Control

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The program is run by the ideology that you will be thrown into the deep end of the pool, but there will always be a life jacket. From my experience sometimes you sink below the water and it gets scary, but then you pop right back up with the help of the team and everything is okay. This position is challenging, fast moving and VERY team oriented. Being able to prioritize ones workload is also key.

Cons

Not really a con, but a thing you need to be able to learn quickly, at least for me, is that everything cannot be completed in a day. Work will spill over into the next day and that is okay.

5. RMDP-Risk Control

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern

Pros

The Risk Management Development Program for Risk Control treats all new hires and interns the same way. Both groups are trained and are assigned the same workload, which allows interns to be given a realistic view of a potential career. This allows interns to go on site visits to different businesses, and have actual contact with clients to help them mitigate different types of risk that they are exposed to. Each intern is also given a project to complete throughout the summer that will help the company in the long run. At the end of the summer each intern is held accountable for their work and must present their findings to their coworkers and managers to display how they made a positive impact to the company. This program offers a dynamic and challenging work experience that helps interns gain and develop different professional skills. The company is so large that there are an incredible amount of different career opportunities, and they provide great compensation and benefits. Liberty Mutual treats their employees very well and promotes a strong work/life balance.

Cons

The Risk Control internship has only been around for a couple of years, so there is definitely a few kinks to be worked out. Not everything is explicitly organized for the entire internship, so there could be a couple of days when there isn't much to do. When working for a company with over 50,000 employees it can also be difficult to get into contact with coworkers throughout the country. As a result, you might be waiting on some people to call you back in order for you to obtain details that will allow you to complete your work.

Advice to Management

The management of this program was phenomenal. If I ever had a question or concern, my manager was always willing to help. The management gets to know their employees on a personal level and treat you as their equal, which opens up communication and creates a great, comfortable work environment. Sometimes my manager could be out of the office for a couple of days for work which made it a little more difficult to keep in touch, but he always would keep in touch to keep the line of communication open. The management is interested in continuous improvement so they ask for different ways they can improve the program. This ensures that all the interns can have their voices heard regarding their experience, and also shows that the company is actively trying to improve their internship program.

6. RMDP - Risk Control

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The job is flexible and different every day. One day you may be helping a school improve their safety program; the next day you may be helping a heavy manufacturing facility. There is a lot of opportunity for growth and promotion. Employees with more seniority are happy to mentor new employees and share their knowledge.

Cons

This job would not be good for someone who does not want to focus on their job alone. For the first 5-6 years of employment you may be moving to one coast and then to the other. For many, that is a pro. But for someone who wants to live close to home for their entire career, this job may not be the right choice for you.

7. Risk Control

Current Employee - Risk Consultant I
    Current Employee - Risk Consultant I

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company that makes you feel like you're a part of something bigger. Management does a great job of making sure employees know their role, as well as pushing them to pursue more challenging projects and endeavors. Liberty Mutual is also very big on encouraging continuing education. I haven't had any negative experiences during my time at Liberty and can see myself spending my entire career here due to the large amount of space to grow. -The RMDP is a program designed for any newcomers to risk control. It is a great program for learning about the hazard risk industry and helps you understand the ins and outs of risk control. This program is second to none when compared to other insurance companies. I have learned a lot already during my short time int he program and look forward to the years to come.

Cons

There is a lot of information to take in during the first few months of employment. It isn't necessarily a huge problem, you just have to be on your toes at all times and make sure you keep track of everything.

8. RMDP- Risk Control

Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant
    Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Unparalleled focus on training and development. -Supportive, team-oriented environment. -The work is dynamic: We do consulting center work which consists of telephonic/online consulting, but we also get to leave the office frequently to go on joint on-site visits. You could be at a construction site, manufacturing plant, and a movie theater in the same week. -Management really supports your development and works with you to further develop your interests and skills.

Cons

-Upward mobility in this department is slower than in other departments, but lateral movement is widely available.

9. Great Company

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Liberty is a great place to work - great people, great benefits, meaningful work. I've enjoyed my time at the company and always feel valued.

Cons

It's a huge company so there is sometimes limited visibility into things going on in other areas of the company. Work life balance is also a challenge in some areas of the organization.

Advice to Management

We should strive to make decisions faster and find ways to get ideas, process changes, and new products into maker faster.

10. Great Company to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company! A lot of growth potential with so many opportunities. Great people to work with and most managers are well trained and easy to work with and for. Flexible work schedules. Really trying to improve work life balance for employees. Great pay and benefits. Hard to find another company that pays as well and bonuses like Liberty.

Cons

Still somewhat old management styles. They place knowledgeable people in Management positions that DO NOT BELONG in management. If you get a manager of this type it is very difficult to try and move on. Advised not to go to HR and do not feel safe to go to their manager. If you get a manager like this, it's very difficult to move on. As well, once you start moving up it's more difficult to continue climbing. Interviews internal or external are draining and even as a long term employee very difficult to land the job. Most every position requires a degree. It's very difficult as an internal employee to get a position without a degree. Life experience and 15+ years a company should speak louder than a degree.

Advice to Management

Educate your managers on how to treat their employees. As the saying goes, people don't leave their jobs, they leave their managers. Stop placing people in management positions just because they know the job. If they don't know how to treat people, they don't belong in management. You are losing a good people by putting these people in management positions. People first then job knowledge.

11. Liberty Mutual

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liberty Mutual is a great place to start a career! The work life balance is great and there is great opportunity for growth. In terms of IT, there is new development as far as the eye can see.

Cons

For the vast majority of people, the work can be quite "mundane." There are a lot of interesting aspects to IT at an insurance company, but to get to the interesting work I feel like you have to be working for a while. Definitely feels like a sluggish, large corporation, but the company is responsive to feedback (even if it takes a while).

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the feedback of employees. Liberty Mutual has many attractive offerings, and the IT aspects of the insurance industry will only grow as the internet of things, drone technology, etc. develop.

Showing 1,009 of 1,647 reviews