Liberty Mutual Insurance

Updated Jul 31, 2014

3.2 1,030 reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights
1,030 Employee Reviews

Liberty Mutual

ProsThey provide food for meetings

ConsSenior management not in touch with front line employees

Fast Path Adjuster

Property Adjuster (Current Employee) Uniondale, NY

ProsThe benefits are great and so is the tuition reimbursement program.

ConsVERY micromanaged, with no room to grow or move and not able to combine work and personal life. Every move is watched and recorded and they are always finding ways to make your job harder. Hate coming to work and expecting the worse because its always something you arent doing right.

Advice to Senior ManagementSit in our seats for a few days so you can see what our day to day consists of and realize how impossible that is to do what you expect us to do.

Senior Customer Claims Representative

ProsI've met a few very great people here. Personal time off days are decent.

ConsI'm shocked at all of the positive reviews on this website in regard to Liberty Mutual. I would not recommend this company to anyone. I feel overworked and underpaid. There are tons of metrics, most of which are very difficult to meet. When a process changes, you are still expected to meet your metrics which is very unfair. The most heavily weighed metric is your customer service score. Often times you have ABSOLUTELY NO CONTROL of this metric because everyone handles everyone's files. You could get a low score from someone because they had to pay their deductible and it will stand as is.

The phones NEVER stop ringing. This is the worst thing about this position. It is a call center environment. Ironically, they'll ask that you don't utter the words 'call center' because of it's negative connotation.

The micro management here is really awful and is getting worse. If you haven't taken a call in 3-4 minutes, you may receive an e-mail or an instant message asking you to get back into the call queue. Standard work changes weekly and often causes confusion and frustration within the company. I'll say it again, standard work changes weekly. It is very frustrating. You're expected to have a very high workload. Often times there is mandatory overtime which typically lasts months. This job is so very draining.

The turnover rate is EXTREMELY high. I'm considered a senior employee and I've been with the company just under 2 years.

They say they promote from within. If you do not have at least a Bachelor's it is very unlikely that you will get promoted. It does not matter how long you have been with the company. I do hold a Bachelor's degree and have yet to be promoted. I have worked very hard but have seen a few people who have been with the company less than a year get promoted. It is about who you know here.

There are a few managers who are very knowledgeable. Many of the managers come out of the college hire program. I believe that this is a very big downfall for Liberty Mutual as these mangers just do not have enough tenure. It just doesn't make sense that someone holding a managerial position doesn't know the answer to a basic question. Someone here said that management is not on the same page and they're absolutely right. I've had my manager throw me right under the bus (several times) because of this.

This job is draining and stressful. I could go on and on with the cons of working for this company but I'll end it right here. If you're offered a position, please think long and hard about whether or not you want to work for this company.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease listen to your employees. Stop micromanaging. Find a process that works and stick with it.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Terrible for Field Sales Reps

Sales Representative (Current Employee) Danvers, MA

ProsCan't think of any off the top of my head

ConsToo Many to name here

Hamster wheel

Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) Dallas, TX

ProsGood pay for new sales, horrible renewal commissions

ConsCould cater less about anything but new sales.

Advice to Senior ManagementQuit trying to maximize bonus on the backs of sales reps and at the expense of clients

Misleading Restructuring Details!

Inside Property Adjuster (Former Employee)

Pros-Pay
    -Benefits
    -Tuition Reimbursement
    -Vacation Time
    -Adjuster license maintenance

Cons-Always understaffed.
    -Long hours expected (frowned upon if not worked)
    -Constant "RESTRUCTURING" followed by large layoffs. They will tell you they are changing your position, but there will not be layoffs.....Then they lay off your entire departments.

Advice to Senior ManagementVery cut throat, worrying about keeping your $20,000-$40,000/year annual bonuses by laying off the workers that make your success possible!

Work life balance is horrible

Claims Specialist I (Current Employee) Irving, TX

ProsPay is competitive.

ConsYou''ll never get your work done. Instead of focusing on state law and regulation they make you go though the LM bureaucracy. QA is a joke. No way to defend yourself if your scores are not good. Even though QA affects your bonus at the end of the year. Most people quit within 6-12 months.

I work 10 hours a day and most weekends (8 - 10 hours each Saturday). Not because I"m inefficient but because I genuinely cant get all the work done.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop being cheap and hire more people. You expect one person to do the work of two people.

Micro managed, hostile environment.

Claims Adjuster (Current Employee) Northeast, NY

ProsGenerous time off, nice people who are left despite the high turnover.

ConsEvery minute is micro-managed, and still the customers are unhappy.

Relatively low pay for the amount of responsibility.

Very limited room for advancement.

Healthcare plan is lousy.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more people to manage the volume of work.

Increase pay for increased responsibility.

Promote people within who have the experience, instead of advance college hires with no experience.

Sales Representative

Insurance Sales Representative (Former Employee) Cleveland, OH

ProsThe benefits are good and you can get out of the office quite a bit to go on appointments and networking events. Take advantage of the short term disability program, it's cheap and may come in handy if you are ever injured and cannot work.

ConsThey micro-manage everything you do. They track your sales, outbound calls, length of time on the phone and number of quotes done on a daily basis. On a weekly basis the manager will go over in excruciating detail the types of people you are quoting, why you didn't sell more than you did, and what do you have in the pipeline. Opportunities to advance are slim unless you are in HQ or in a large call center. A lot of the reps who have been there for awhile are spoon fed by the service reps and most people in the whole company aren't to be trusted. The main thing the company worries about is money money money. They are cheap on claims and are constantly worried about "premium leakage" ie getting the most money out of people that they can before they go elsewhere, this includes policyholders and employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementYou do not have a "premium" insurance product and stop treating people with no dignity.

Horrible work life balance and work load management

Inside Auto Claims Representative (Current Employee) Sacramento, CA

ProsLots of employee recognition and rewards. Employees are generally great to work with and come up with team building activities.

ConsThey emphasize on work life balance but overload you with work so it's impossible to keep up unless you do overtime. They will also enforce mandatory overtime. No selection in medical benefits. Horrible bonuses and raises. If you receive bad customer service results because of another employee, it still reflects on you because you're the claim owner, and this affects your bonus/raise. It's very easy for management to pick you apart regarding the negatives. There's literally changes every week. High turnover rate.

Advice to Senior ManagementStop with all of the changes in how we work, especially since the changes are made by people who don't understand how the job really is. Find a better way to organize how much work each employee gets instead of dumping dozens of new claims on them. Too much work means lower customer service because it's just impossible to get to everyone without doing overtime.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!