Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,085 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

Great Benefits / Some corporate red tape

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Pays decently well given workload.

Cons

Red tape when promoting etc.

Work more on development of employees.

It's a good place to learn the business

Current Employee - Personal Lines Agent  in  Minneapolis, MN
    Current Employee - Personal Lines Agent in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

They provide salary and training to get new reps licensed and generating leads. The technology is good. The company is set up to get all the fluff out of the way, so reps can concentrate on sales.

Cons

Small commissions and quotas that get higher along with price. Sudden changes that affect the business seem to come down suddenly from above.

Neutral to positive

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Benefits
    Company does the right thing
    Career opportunities
    Company is doing well

Cons

Culture has changed - and not for the better
    Not all types of employees feel valued

Make sure all types of employees feel valued or there will be turnover in a good job market

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall my experience at Liberty Mutual was a good one. Sales Academy was a good way to transition into the industry.

Current Employee - Sales Representative  in  Hoffman, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Representative in Hoffman, IL

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good sales experience. Trainers were very helpful and to the extra effort to make sure everything was going good.

Cons

- Some of the sales training wasn't completely covered
    - They just throw you into the mix
    - Felt as though you were just another number for them

- Don't let sales representatives sell until they have finished the sales academy.

The good, the bad and the rest.

Former Employee - Commercial Claims Agent  in  Mishawaka, IN
    Former Employee - Commercial Claims Agent in Mishawaka, IN

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Incredible health, medical, dental & vision benefits.
    Nice annual cash bonuses.

Cons

Anal retentive management.
    No empowerment.
    Inflexible work schedules.
    Clients are more important than employees.
    Cannot apply for a job in another city - they only recruit local candidates.

Reduce costly turnover, be more flexible in work-life balance and treat your people with Dignity and Respect you claim to.
    Adopt a zero-tolerance policy for integrity and honesty - and make sure it applies to middle and senior management - there should not be two classes of employees.

I stay only for the benefits and paid vacation

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Great benefits and vacation time.

Cons

They say they care about what you think and are always asking for suggestions, but nothing ever changes. If you have any job other than a sales rep you don't matter to the company

Pay your employees more instead of the CEO getting millions each year. We work much harder for our money.

The Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, ok benefits

Cons

As a former field property loss specialist, I found the workload totally unreasonable. It did not lend to a healthy work/life balance. On average, I was putting in about 65 hours per week. This was due in part to their refusal to add staff in the area. They had the audacity to tell me that they only needed two reps in a metropolitan area of 4 million. I left after one year. Prior to my taking the position, two others had my position and also left within a year. I spoke to both and they left for the exact same reason as I did. When I gave my two weeks, I was told I could work the two weeks as I wanted to clean up as many files as possible. Three days later, I am told "today is my last day" and I was then locked out of the system(while I was out inspecting a loss)". While I wasn't disappointed in being locked out if their archaic system, I was disappointed in how it was handled. I was also disappointed in their claims processes, their staffing model, and their company culture as a whole. I'm currently an analyst for a large insurance broker and constantly have to battle them regarding their rates, and processes. They are also running a good company(Safeco) into the ground. If I could give "the bird" for a rating I would

Staff Properly and promote managers who have actual field experience instead of inside adjusters

Good company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Diego, CA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great benefits, fun coworkers. They offer charitable incentives such as give with liberty and serve with liberty. Office equipment is cutting edge

Cons

Every time they try to upgrade something it breaks, IT is weak, procedures continually change. Time zone makes it difficult to work, company is centered on east coast

Really great company, and a great working environment

Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative  in  Lake Mary, FL
    Former Employee - Insurance Sales Representative in Lake Mary, FL

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Good pay. Steady employment. Decent morale. Management all seem very competent. Its a company of integrity.

Cons

I could nit pick about micro-mgmnt and that sort of thing, but when you run a call center, you DO have to micromanage because even one minute wasted per employee adds up big time over the year with the hundreds of employees. There were some things I, personally, didn't like. But that was just me, and more MY issue than the company's. I ended up quitting b/c some parts were stressful to me, but they weren't stressful to the other employees. Many, many people were very happy there.

My #1 advice is to do everything in your power to keep morale high, among ALL the employees, on every level. Customers can sense when morale is good vs. bad, and it helps them feel better about the company as well.

A place for opportunity at a cost

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

The vast majority of people you work with are very talented and committed. Lots of transition taking place creating opportunities, most of them in the Home Office arena in Boston. Company is financially strong and growing.

Cons

Work-life balance for Director level and higher is well out of balance. LM has purchased a number of companies and consolidated them, casting aside talented long time employees. Too bad as a number of them were top notch and had the willingness to make strong contributions. LM has zero employee loyalty. There is a mold you need to fit for LM. You need to speak LM brand of PowerPoint speak to fit in and progress.

There are a handful of senior leaders who genuinely care for their teams- to them thank you. The majority of senior leaders are only looking forward and have little regard for their teams. Take time to invest yourself into those who do the daily work needed to be a successful company.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!