Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,133 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 75 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 91 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge but that's pretty much corporate America (in 71 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

An OK place to earn a wage, a good place to start out a career. Not a good option for the bright or ambitious.

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good salary, easy work load. Work life balance is unusually good in some roles, not so in others. Nice that it is a privately held Mutual, enables long term strategic initiatives better than at listed companies.

Cons

Not a meritocracy. Currently going through painful transition to a leaner mindset. This is embraced by front line and senior Execs, but middle management ranks are full of mediocre long term employees who are painfully unaware of what that means for them.

Culture is in need of radical shake-up. Current talent pipeline is polluted with mediocre yes men. These are not the execs to lead the ambitious growth plans of the CEO.

Learned a lot

Former Employee - IT Intern in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Liberty gave me the opportunity to write automated test scripts as an intern, which was really rewarding because, to my knowledge, they are still using them. The people at Liberty are generally very friendly and were open to helping me learn, and my manager geared my internship toward my interests. Work-life balance is great; Liberty employees only work 7.5 hour days and get phenomenal benefits.

Cons

The pay is competitive but not fantastic. I got the sense that the developers were not very passionate about their work and for the most part, people seemed "just content" with working at Liberty.

Continue doing what you are doing. Insurance isn't easy for employees to like, but Liberty Mutual is.

Good Company, Poor Sr Mgmt Decisions

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with overall, tenure of employees and benefits

Cons

Senior Management is not aligned, compensation lacking for increases, no work-life balance

Get aligned together and stop changing ideas so often...allow time for changes to take place.

Inside Auto Damage Appraiser Review

Former Employee - Inside Auto Damage Appraiser
    Former Employee - Inside Auto Damage Appraiser

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule, fun co-workers, double monitors, training in boston, ma

Cons

ever changing processes week after week. focus on customer surveys is unreasonable - performance should not be based on random surveys. unreasonable demands of appraising through photos - audits are not forgiving, and auditors dont care if your are appraising from photos or not. playing the gotcha game with audits from photos should not happen. Inside appraisers only have so much to go on, but management doesnt care.

ease up on your demands for customer surveys, ease up on the demands for daily quotas for production. make this an appraiser job, not a glorified customer rep position that writes estimates.

Great

Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Business Systems Analyst II in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good work life balance here

Cons

Alot of work that builds up from management

Not much

good company

Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Portsmouth, NH
    Former Employee - IT Project Manager in Portsmouth, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

stable, financially sound, long term career growth

Cons

slow ladder to the top, conservative, glass ceiling for women not in boys clubs - poker, basketball

Unconscious bias training to eliminate gender bias

Claims Specialist

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Ok pay for the work.

Cons

Very socially awkward people that work here and stressful environment.

Overall Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are quite a few benefits to working at Liberty Mutual:
    Benefits - ranging from great health care to vacation time
    Flexible Hours
    Fairly stable industry
    Gym
    Cafeteria
    Education opportunities

I really like working for a large company who gets involved with the community around them through various volunteer/charity options.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult at times but in our particular department, that comes and goes in waves.

With it being a large company, they have their pick of whoever so it can be difficulty to move across departments.

There are also a lot of people that have worked here a long time. While I think that is representative of the company, at the same time, it is difficult to find opportunities for advancement.

Continue to review the employee opinion surveys and take actions on those items that you do. So many companies these days offer things like childcare, etc to help balance our hectic lifestyle and high expectations.

Unappreciated

Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits. Good salary. As a claims person you manage your own appointments.

Cons

Work/life balance is horrible. Expect to work on your days off. Long time employees with experience are undervalued and overlooked.

Seek the advice of people that have been working claims for a long time rather than a new Harvard MBAer with no claims experience whatsoever.

Strong emphasis on development

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Managers see promotion as a win for the organization not a loss for their group.

Cons

Working to improve consistency of culture across offices outside of corporate headquarters.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Photos