Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews

1,560 Employee Reviews

1. Risk Control

Current Employee - Risk Consultant I
    Current Employee - Risk Consultant I

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company that makes you feel like you're a part of something bigger. Management does a great job of making sure employees know their role, as well as pushing them to pursue more challenging projects and endeavors. Liberty Mutual is also very big on encouraging continuing education. I haven't had any negative experiences during my time at Liberty and can see myself spending my entire career here due to the large amount of space to grow. -The RMDP is a program designed for any newcomers to risk control. It is a great program for learning about the hazard risk industry and helps you understand the ins and outs of risk control. This program is second to none when compared to other insurance companies. I have learned a lot already during my short time int he program and look forward to the years to come.

Cons

There is a lot of information to take in during the first few months of employment. It isn't necessarily a huge problem, you just have to be on your toes at all times and make sure you keep track of everything.

2. RMDP- Risk Control

Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant
    Current Employee - Risk Control Consultant

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Unparalleled focus on training and development. -Supportive, team-oriented environment. -The work is dynamic: We do consulting center work which consists of telephonic/online consulting, but we also get to leave the office frequently to go on joint on-site visits. You could be at a construction site, manufacturing plant, and a movie theater in the same week. -Management really supports your development and works with you to further develop your interests and skills.

Cons

-Upward mobility in this department is slower than in other departments, but lateral movement is widely available.

3. Great Company

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

Liberty is a great place to work - great people, great benefits, meaningful work. I've enjoyed my time at the company and always feel valued.

Cons

It's a huge company so there is sometimes limited visibility into things going on in other areas of the company. Work life balance is also a challenge in some areas of the organization.

Advice to Management

We should strive to make decisions faster and find ways to get ideas, process changes, and new products into maker faster.

5. Great Company to work

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Indianapolis, IN

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great company! A lot of growth potential with so many opportunities. Great people to work with and most managers are well trained and easy to work with and for. Flexible work schedules. Really trying to improve work life balance for employees. Great pay and benefits. Hard to find another company that pays as well and bonuses like Liberty.

Cons

Still somewhat old management styles. They place knowledgeable people in Management positions that DO NOT BELONG in management. If you get a manager of this type it is very difficult to try and move on. Advised not to go to HR and do not feel safe to go to their manager. If you get a manager like this, it's very difficult to move on. As well, once you start moving up it's more difficult to continue climbing. Interviews internal or external are draining and even as a long term employee very difficult to land the job. Most every position requires a degree. It's very difficult as an internal employee to get a position without a degree. Life experience and 15+ years a company should speak louder than a degree.

Advice to Management

Educate your managers on how to treat their employees. As the saying goes, people don't leave their jobs, they leave their managers. Stop placing people in management positions just because they know the job. If they don't know how to treat people, they don't belong in management. You are losing a good people by putting these people in management positions. People first then job knowledge.

6. Great Work-Life Balance

Current Employee - Technical Development Program in Portsmouth, NH
    Current Employee - Technical Development Program in Portsmouth, NH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance (Less than a year)

Pros

Full work week at 37.5 hours and options for compressed workweek. Annual bonus based on 75% profit-share and 25% performance rating. Many training opportunities including tuition reimbursement

Cons

Not a ton of location options for IT employees

7. Senior Claims Adjuster

Former Employee - Licensed Claims Adjuster in Lawrenceville, GA
    Former Employee - Licensed Claims Adjuster in Lawrenceville, GA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great benefits. Great hours. Great pay

Cons

Job can be very stressful. Its very important to stay current with daily activities and not get behind

Advice to Management

Continuing to praise employees and to be rewarding when employees go over and beyond job duties

8. Liberty Mutual

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Liberty Mutual is a great place to start a career! The work life balance is great and there is great opportunity for growth. In terms of IT, there is new development as far as the eye can see.

Cons

For the vast majority of people, the work can be quite "mundane." There are a lot of interesting aspects to IT at an insurance company, but to get to the interesting work I feel like you have to be working for a while. Definitely feels like a sluggish, large corporation, but the company is responsive to feedback (even if it takes a while).

Advice to Management

Continue listening to the feedback of employees. Liberty Mutual has many attractive offerings, and the IT aspects of the insurance industry will only grow as the internet of things, drone technology, etc. develop.

9. Great Company

Current Employee - Claims Technician in Bala Cynwyd, PA
    Current Employee - Claims Technician in Bala Cynwyd, PA

Pros

Great place to start out in the industry. Good Benefits and FTO time.

Cons

Not as much advancement as i originally had thought.

10. manager

Former Employee - Manager - Special Projects in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - Manager - Special Projects in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Large company Many things were structued

Cons

Dover was a remote place

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing

Insurance Agent - Meet your quota no matter what... or else

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in New Braunfels, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in New Braunfels, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Typical business hours for the most part, great pay and benefits, no expense spared on your training and licensing or office environment.

Cons

Lots of socializing necessary to meet quotas, not bad if you're single. Most of the extensive training is useless in the real sales environment, more psychologically based than anything else. Seems like they're trying to train you to decipher what a client "really" needs rather than what they're asking for. Almost no product or marketing knowledge is given during training which makes it difficult to hit the lofty quotas if you don't have any other industry experience. The medical benefits and sick leave are fantastic... unless you have to use them and fail to meet your sales quota. Even your regional manager cannot save you from being let go, pretty sad that they don't give you a break on your quota for long term medical leave. Maybe it's better if you're not in sales.

Advice to Management

1. Teach your agents about the product they sell rather than psychology. You really have a great policy, very comprehensive and a great value, but if your agents don't know what sets you apart from the others they can't believe in what they are selling. 2. Make provision for sales quotas in your long term disability plan, it makes absolutely no sense to spend tens of thousands of dollars on training and licensing them only to lose them (and in my case my immediate supervisor resigned as well) over an ER visit and two month medical leave in which they are forbidden to answer phone calls or email and can't hit the quota upon return... what a waste. Quotas should be frozen during long term disability and a ramp up should be allotted upon return.

Showing 1,560 of 1,658 reviews