Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,171 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 85 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge but that's pretty much corporate America (in 78 reviews)

• Senior Management is not aligned, compensation lacking for increases, no work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

Good Company, Poor Sr Mgmt Decisions

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with overall, tenure of employees and benefits

Cons

Get aligned together and stop changing ideas so often...allow time for changes to take place.

Not very much opportunity for growth

Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous in New York, NY

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good company. Fair compensation and benefits package.

Cons

None, that I can think of

n/a

Think long and hard

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Advancement opportunities exist for most jobs. Really good benefits and salary. If you don't like your family or time to do things outside of work; apply here.

Cons

You may not get trained for your job or even get system training. Don't necessarily believe what you're told in the job interview- I was lied to about more than one thing. The 40 hour work week was realistically 60-65 hours + and they still pushed for more. I have never worked in an office with such miserable people in my life.

I don't even know what to say. Do you feel like a horrible person when you go to bed at night? Constant EXTREME pressure to do more and more and more? We don't take breaks now. We eat at our desk. We work 12+ hour days, 5 days a week plus some on Saturday. It is so not worth it. How about doing something to make a change that doesn't cause More work for us? How about regulating the number of hours a salaried employee can work a week. How about a maximum of 45-50 hours? This is not good for society, our children, our health....

Culturally behind the times, but working to improve it.

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Learn a lot
    Many opportunities to self-educate
    Good benefits

Cons

Culturally conservative
    Little diversity in upper management
    Roll out of employee benefit improvements is painfully slow

NOT ALL WHAT IT'S CRACKED UP TO BE

Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Voorhees, NJ
    Former Employee - Claims Adjuster in Voorhees, NJ

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great employees who enjoy helping policy holders. Benefits were standard for most companies, Ded/Copay's for medical were a bit steep, but overall the Company benefits, such as Vacation were good.

Cons

The company has decided to go to a "Lean Facility" and become a factory so to speak. Employing inexperienced kids out of school to teach them "not to think" for themselves, but rather read and learn via scripts. Senior Management has been a joke for several years. The Voorhees, NJ office in 5 years has been through 3 VP's and in property alone 4 Senior Claims Managers, the worst of all was the last one, who barely fit into his suits and didn't know the meaning or "leadership"! He was on the team with a WHIP and Plan each day. Only to walk us all out the door on 9/26 and take a demotion himself!

Good Luck with all of you future endeavors. I knew It was Mr. Long's dream to become number 2, but I truly believe you get what you put into things and going Lean to save a buck isn't the best for service with your customers, agents and policy holders!

Strong emphasis on development

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Managers see promotion as a win for the organization not a loss for their group.

Cons

Working to improve consistency of culture across offices outside of corporate headquarters.

Overall Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Fairfield, OH
    Current Employee - Commercial Lines Underwriter in Fairfield, OH

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

There are quite a few benefits to working at Liberty Mutual:
    Benefits - ranging from great health care to vacation time
    Flexible Hours
    Fairly stable industry
    Gym
    Cafeteria
    Education opportunities

I really like working for a large company who gets involved with the community around them through various volunteer/charity options.

Cons

Work-life balance can be difficult at times but in our particular department, that comes and goes in waves.

With it being a large company, they have their pick of whoever so it can be difficulty to move across departments.

There are also a lot of people that have worked here a long time. While I think that is representative of the company, at the same time, it is difficult to find opportunities for advancement.

Continue to review the employee opinion surveys and take actions on those items that you do. So many companies these days offer things like childcare, etc to help balance our hectic lifestyle and high expectations.

Great Company

Current Employee - Sales Representative
    Current Employee - Sales Representative

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

work-life balance is flexible, great management, promote from withen

Cons

low residual income, not enough product training.

Distribution & Logistics

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant, Distributor in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant, Distributor in Boston, MA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Awesome workplace, and environment, never have an issue finding something great about the Boston Head Quarters.

Cons

Not much hope for good amount of in company growth. Most people leave Liberty and then come back after Liberty agrees to honor their new salary. When I am sure they'd like to just stay and get that awesome raise for their hard work.

Stop sub contracting! just hire people. Trust me you have a great company, but nobody wants to be a contractor.

Learned a lot

Former Employee - IT Intern in Dover, NH
    Former Employee - IT Intern in Dover, NH

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than an year)

Pros

Liberty gave me the opportunity to write automated test scripts as an intern, which was really rewarding because, to my knowledge, they are still using them. The people at Liberty are generally very friendly and were open to helping me learn, and my manager geared my internship toward my interests. Work-life balance is great; Liberty employees only work 7.5 hour days and get phenomenal benefits.

Cons

The pay is competitive but not fantastic. I got the sense that the developers were not very passionate about their work and for the most part, people seemed "just content" with working at Liberty.

Continue doing what you are doing. Insurance isn't easy for employees to like, but Liberty Mutual is.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Photos