Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,098 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 73 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 89 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge but that's pretty much corporate America (in 70 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 34 reviews)

More Highlights

Culture of micro management

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Nice pay, good benefits, nice facility

Cons

There is a great deal of micro management. Don't seem to value employees. The environment is stressed and tense, throughout the company and across departments.

Consider establishing methods to engage employees. Common courtesies go a long way.

An excellent place to gain experience

Current Employee - Claims Specialist II
    Current Employee - Claims Specialist II

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Flexibility, pay,benefits, training (almost too much)- strong company with over 100 years in the business, a great place to gain experience.

Cons

Advancement, stress, management- get a few years of training and get out! There is not much room for growth.

Some of the managers showed favoritism, raises/promotions were not based on experience/ work ethic but rather an employee's age and willingness to attend social functions (happy hour).

Not as "responsible" as their commercials suggest.

Former Employee - Case Manager I  in  Charlotte, NC
    Former Employee - Case Manager I in Charlotte, NC

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay and benefits, people are friendly. Lots of vacation time given. Bonuses are decent most years.

Cons

Unrealistic goals that nobody can meet. They grade you based on things that you have zero control over and are impacted by outside sources.

If unit goals are not able to be met, accept it and try harder next month instead of trying to fudge the numbers.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Peaceful consistency in every office, wonderful opportunity to grow and move.

Current Employee - Insurance Assistant  in  Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Assistant in Irving, TX

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The pay is considerably fair, and the opportunities to pursue your interest are plentiful. The benefits are out of this world, with tons of vacation time beginning very quickly after you're hired.

Cons

There is some management bloat, sometimes causing communication problems and making changes difficult to implement and monitor.

A great company to work for

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Great benefits
    Friendly coworkers
    Good work/life balance

Cons

Nothing bad to say. Only left for company restructure and got laid off.

Strong Company and Great People

Current Employee - Marketing Specialist  in  Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Marketing Specialist in Boston, MA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company is focused on education and professional development, and the company is only growing stronger. I work with over 50 people daily, and I have yet to encounter someone with whom I do not enjoy working. In addition, management is very responsive and open to meeting and talking with lower level folks. Compensation and Benefits are great, and I have been impressed with the Work/Life Balance. Finally, Liberty Mutual's Company Values are very impressive, albeit a bit conservative, as folks act with integrity.

Cons

Corporate promotional opportunities are mainly located in Boston, and insurance does not have a "glamourous" image. Company culture varies depending on the office location and Liberty could improve their environmental impact in the office.

I appreciate David Long's transparency that Liberty Mutual is a for-profit company.

Supportive coworkers and management

Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative  in  Latham, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Claims Representative in Latham, NY

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Coworkers were willing to help learn new tasks, management was generally supportive of your future goals.

Cons

Some advancement was limited to graduates of certain colleges/universities, which I though was pretty awful.

Extremely Happy with the Choice, Great Balance

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program)  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a long-term outlook and interest in developing their employees with the company. The industry is a slow-changing one, and so they know that to stay engaged, they need to move employees around to different areas of the company. There is growth so there are good long-term opportunities for advancement. Great company values and you are selling a product that there are very few negative social consequences to (i.e., I feel good about what I do and how I do it). Great pay/hours/balance/benefits/etc.

Cons

This is a hierarchical company in a heavily regulated and (at least in the US) saturated industry, so things can move very slow and bureaucracy can be a headache. It's just the nature of the beast, so as long as you can function in that culture where changes are slow and incremental.

There is a greater focus on improving the company from the ground level; however, decision making is concentrated in the Boston home-office. I would recommend making a bigger focus on spreading out your management talent geographically to leverage greater diversity, create better communication between the front-line and management, and to give your senior leaders more opportunity outside of Boston. Make a concerted effort to make the company truly multi-national.

Great

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

Excellent training and salary. Promote from within.

Cons

Must be able to adjust to change.

Upper management listen to customers.

great company

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Pros

personal growth, training, work/life balance

Cons

nothing, sometimes leadership, but its all different depending on department

Liberty Mutual Insurance Photos

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!