Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.3
1,085 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance (in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees (in 32 reviews)

More Highlights

38 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

The Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, ok benefits

Cons

As a former field property loss specialist, I found the workload totally unreasonable. It did not lend to a healthy work/life balance. On average, I was putting in about 65 hours per week. This was due in part to their refusal to add staff in the area. They had the audacity to tell me that they only needed two reps in a metropolitan area of 4 million. I left after one year. Prior to my taking the position, two others had my position and also left within a year. I spoke to both and they left for the exact same reason as I did. When I gave my two weeks, I was told I could work the two weeks as I wanted to clean up as many files as possible. Three days later, I am told "today is my last day" and I was then locked out of the system(while I was out inspecting a loss)". While I wasn't disappointed in being locked out if their archaic system, I was disappointed in how it was handled. I was also disappointed in their claims processes, their staffing model, and their company culture as a whole. I'm currently an analyst for a large insurance broker and constantly have to battle them regarding their rates, and processes. They are also running a good company(Safeco) into the ground. If I could give "the bird" for a rating I would

Staff Properly and promote managers who have actual field experience instead of inside adjusters

Extremely Happy with the Choice, Great Balance

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program)  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

The company has a long-term outlook and interest in developing their employees with the company. The industry is a slow-changing one, and so they know that to stay engaged, they need to move employees around to different areas of the company. There is growth so there are good long-term opportunities for advancement. Great company values and you are selling a product that there are very few negative social consequences to (i.e., I feel good about what I do and how I do it). Great pay/hours/balance/benefits/etc.

Cons

This is a hierarchical company in a heavily regulated and (at least in the US) saturated industry, so things can move very slow and bureaucracy can be a headache. It's just the nature of the beast, so as long as you can function in that culture where changes are slow and incremental.

There is a greater focus on improving the company from the ground level; however, decision making is concentrated in the Boston home-office. I would recommend making a bigger focus on spreading out your management talent geographically to leverage greater diversity, create better communication between the front-line and management, and to give your senior leaders more opportunity outside of Boston. Make a concerted effort to make the company truly multi-national.

Great Company! Great People! Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - IT Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Working for Liberty in the Safeco Center in Seattle downtown, I love what the company stands for, how innovative it is in terms of IT/software/etc, and how hard-working yet "chill" my colleagues are. Both the Seattle buildings (Safeco Center and Safeco Plaza) are really nice and well-located. The work-life balance is great, especially as an entry-level hire/young hire (1-2 years). Salary/benefits are good too!

Cons

Since Liberty is primarily an East Coast-based company, the work hours for the Seattle employees tend to shift earlier to accomodate those employees in Boston, New Hampshire, and Indianapolis. So, key work hours in Seattle usually range from 7 AM to 3 PM, which can be hard on those who aren't "morning people." Otherwise, everything else about the company is great!

Management at Liberty should continue what they have been doing at the company over the past 5 years! They have pushed the organization to new heights, as it has become a model for how modern insurance companies should be led. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with our current high level executives/managers!

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Excellent work-life balance

Current Employee - Consultant  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great environment to work at, very understanding managers, great colleagues, excellent work life balance. Excellent 401K program if you work more than 1 year. Cheap insurance coverage. Good onboarding experience. Good system in place to install software on computers. The leadership seems very determined to get feedback and makes changes. You sometimes get free tickets to the Seattle Mariners and Sounders games. Managers are transparent in communications to and from leadership. Fantastic leave policies starting from the first year itself. Rewards system is very good (the ability to redeem rewards for gifts).

Cons

The Seattle teams are just building up their technical skills, so compensation for technical employees is lesser than the market standard. Technology wise, the company is still lagging behind and is slowly playing catch-up. TV's in every floor show just CNN and use only one-third of the screen - quite pointless. The free wi-fi is very slow. Having different cube sizes based on grade levels is quite demoralizing to junior employees. Lots of IT security restrictions in place. You cannot work on a computer besides your work laptop - you cannot log in from home on your personal workstation. I found the work I do a bit boring (but that's just a personal opinion).

Leadership needs to hire people suitable to their long term plan and vision, especially in more technical roles. Need to recognize the importance of technology in business and invest more. Have a fast track to promote exceptional junior grade employees faster.

Fortune 100 company is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Principal Software Developer  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Global, diversified, large allows company to perform in up & down markets.

Cons

Large organization can take longer to get things done.

Smart people, must be willing to put in the hours

Current Employee - Product Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for less than a year

Pros

Great training opportunities and exposure to challenging, invigorating work with upper management. Excellent place to jump start a career. Skills are invaluable.

Cons

Learning curve is high. Must manage multiple projects at one time with little knowledge or transparency with current processes. Level of ambiguity pretty high; must adapt pretty quickly. Tasks can sometimes be boring, busy work.

Solid company

Current Employee - Assistant Director  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Assistant Director in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Large company with competitive benefits.

Cons

Not emphasis on enhancing employee's skillsets.

Development people

Product Analyst at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Former Employee - Product Analyst  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Product Analyst in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great people with lots of opportunities to grow.

Cons

Not much of a work/life balance.

Good, secure, reliable company, with decent work/life balance.

Current Employee - IT Project Coordinator  in  Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Project Coordinator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Stable, Fair, Work/Life Balance, Salary Level, Benefits

Cons

Less Nimble, More Overhead, Virtual Teams

Insurance...not for everyone

Former Employee - Commercial Insurance Intern  in  Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Commercial Insurance Intern in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern for less than a year

Pros

Established, solid company with good ethics and thorough processes. Competitive pay. Lots of opportunity to move around and grow roots within the company.

Cons

Boring work environment, disconnected corporate structure. Too many people involved in the decision-making process, makes for a hostile and ineffective communication/production model.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!