Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance Reviews in Seattle, WA

Updated Jul 18, 2014

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance(in 70 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits(in 96 reviews)

Cons
  • The type of manager in your office will make or break your work-life balance(in 66 reviews)

• Upper management is loosing more of their focus and support of front line employees(in 32 reviews)

36 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great Company! Great People! Great Place to Work!

IT Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsWorking for Liberty in the Safeco Center in Seattle downtown, I love what the company stands for, how innovative it is in terms of IT/software/etc, and how hard-working yet "chill" my colleagues are. Both the Seattle buildings (Safeco Center and Safeco Plaza) are really nice and well-located. The work-life balance is great, especially as an entry-level hire/young hire (1-2 years). Salary/benefits are good too!

ConsSince Liberty is primarily an East Coast-based company, the work hours for the Seattle employees tend to shift earlier to accomodate those employees in Boston, New Hampshire, and Indianapolis. So, key work hours in Seattle usually range from 7 AM to 3 PM, which can be hard on those who aren't "morning people." Otherwise, everything else about the company is great!

Advice to Senior ManagementManagement at Liberty should continue what they have been doing at the company over the past 5 years! They have pushed the organization to new heights, as it has become a model for how modern insurance companies should be led. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with our current high level executives/managers!

Excellent work-life balance

Consultant (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat environment to work at, very understanding managers, great colleagues, excellent work life balance. Excellent 401K program if you work more than 1 year. Cheap insurance coverage. Good onboarding experience. Good system in place to install software on computers. The leadership seems very determined to get feedback and makes changes. You sometimes get free tickets to the Seattle Mariners and Sounders games. Managers are transparent in communications to and from leadership. Fantastic leave policies starting from the first year itself. Rewards system is very good (the ability to redeem rewards for gifts).

ConsThe Seattle teams are just building up their technical skills, so compensation for technical employees is lesser than the market standard. Technology wise, the company is still lagging behind and is slowly playing catch-up. TV's in every floor show just CNN and use only one-third of the screen - quite pointless. The free wi-fi is very slow. Having different cube sizes based on grade levels is quite demoralizing to junior employees. Lots of IT security restrictions in place. You cannot work on a computer besides your work laptop - you cannot log in from home on your personal workstation. I found the work I do a bit boring (but that's just a personal opinion).

Advice to Senior ManagementLeadership needs to hire people suitable to their long term plan and vision, especially in more technical roles. Need to recognize the importance of technology in business and invest more. Have a fast track to promote exceptional junior grade employees faster.

Fortune 100 company is a good company to work for.

Principal Software Developer (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGlobal, diversified, large allows company to perform in up & down markets.

ConsLarge organization can take longer to get things done.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Smart people, must be willing to put in the hours

Product Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat training opportunities and exposure to challenging, invigorating work with upper management. Excellent place to jump start a career. Skills are invaluable.

ConsLearning curve is high. Must manage multiple projects at one time with little knowledge or transparency with current processes. Level of ambiguity pretty high; must adapt pretty quickly. Tasks can sometimes be boring, busy work.

Solid company

Assistant Director (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsLarge company with competitive benefits.

ConsNot emphasis on enhancing employee's skillsets.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelopment people

Product Analyst at Liberty Mutual Insurance

Product Analyst (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsGreat people with lots of opportunities to grow.

ConsNot much of a work/life balance.

Good, secure, reliable company, with decent work/life balance.

IT Project Coordinator (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStable, Fair, Work/Life Balance, Salary Level, Benefits

ConsLess Nimble, More Overhead, Virtual Teams

Insurance...not for everyone

Commercial Insurance Intern (Former Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsEstablished, solid company with good ethics and thorough processes. Competitive pay. Lots of opportunity to move around and grow roots within the company.

ConsBoring work environment, disconnected corporate structure. Too many people involved in the decision-making process, makes for a hostile and ineffective communication/production model.

A good company to work for.

Director of Special Projects (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsStrong company performance; fair compensation and benefits package; company is actively involved in giving back to its communities; opportunites to move into jobs throughout the Liberty Mutual "family" of companies in you are willing to relocate.

ConsIn the U.S., most high level positions are based out of Boston or Seattle, so upward mobility can be limited if you do not want to live in one of those cities. Telecommuting is not a widely offered option even to tenured employees.

Opportunity and Rewards

Business Analyst (Current Employee) Seattle, WA

ProsPlenty of resources
    Smart colleagues
    Outstanding benefits
    Annual bonus, pension, 401k match
    Lots of opportunity for upward growth

ConsHighly regulated industry = very slow and cautious processes
    Not much diversity
    Compensation tends to be slightly lower than average, although benefits make up for it
    Office atmosphere is a little stodgy and uptight

Advice to Senior ManagementTechnology is changing your customer's lives and you need to keep up with the outside world.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!