Liberty Mutual Insurance

3.4
1,238 Reviews

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long
David H. Long

Pros
  • The company pay is reasonable for the expectation and lack of work life balance (in 85 reviews)

• You are given a good amount of days off per year and good benefits (in 95 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance can be a challenge but that's pretty much corporate America (in 78 reviews)

• Senior Management is not aligned, compensation lacking for increases, no work-life balance (in 17 reviews)

More Highlights

43 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Awesome company

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time

Pros

My team is amazing, awesome laid back manager who makes all the difference. Great company culture and benefits.

Cons

Nothing of note. Same office politics you'll find at any large corporation.

You're an insurance agent who didn't have to invest in a franchise

Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Field Sales Representative in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great training program & state licensing process, Fortune 100 resources, excellent health benefits, 401k + Pension (for now), plenty of time off, comfortable work environment, I have an awesome manager, which makes a big difference. If you can write 3-5 new clients a week, the sales position is very rewarding.

They adapt and change constantly, typically for the better. I do feel that they care about their employees.

Cons

Liberty Mutual is a preferred-risk insurer, generally higher priced in an industry where clients are very price sensitive.
    You must know how to sell on value.

Open commercial lines products to your captive agents.

Great Way to Start Your Career

Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Human Resources Intern in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Liberty Mutual's Human Resource's Internship was highly valuable. You gain valuable insight into Liberty's HR functions and are exposed to the many differing functions. This internship pays well and leads to a strong career at Liberty.

Cons

At times, there was not ample work to do.

Systems Analyst

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Liberty Mutual Insurance definitely has its perks - most people that I've worked with are really nice and friendly, the salary for analyst is competitive and the work life balance is wonderful!

Cons

Some groups are great at promoting people: however others take forever. I also feel like titles do not always fairly reflect the individuals' experiences.

With regards to talent retention, some groups make it very difficult for an individual to get promoted which can be discouraging and lead to the individual searching elsewhere.

The Worst experience ever

Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist in Seattle, WA
    Former Employee - Senior Field Property Loss Specialist in Seattle, WA

I worked at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good benefits, good pay, ok benefits

Cons

As a former field property loss specialist, I found the workload totally unreasonable. It did not lend to a healthy work/life balance. On average, I was putting in about 65 hours per week. This was due in part to their refusal to add staff in the area. They had the audacity to tell me that they only needed two reps in a metropolitan area of 4 million. I left after one year. Prior to my taking the position, two others had my position and also left within a year. I spoke to both and they left for the exact same reason as I did. When I gave my two weeks, I was told I could work the two weeks as I wanted to clean up as many files as possible. Three days later, I am told "today is my last day" and I was then locked out of the system(while I was out inspecting a loss)". While I wasn't disappointed in being locked out if their archaic system, I was disappointed in how it was handled. I was also disappointed in their claims processes, their staffing model, and their company culture as a whole. I'm currently an analyst for a large insurance broker and constantly have to battle them regarding their rates, and processes. They are also running a good company(Safeco) into the ground. If I could give "the bird" for a rating I would

Staff Properly and promote managers who have actual field experience instead of inside adjusters

It's an okay place

Current Employee - Product Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Product Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Work life balance is strongly taken into consideration and there is a recent push to hold events to keep employees engaged.

Cons

The work is pretty uninspiring, this would be the place to go to if you don't want to push yourself too hard but still want an okay pay check and decent job security.

Too many management layers making it even more of a bureaucratic nightmare to get things accomplished

Extremely Happy with the Choice, Great Balance

Current Employee - Senior Business Consultant (MBA Corporate Development Program) in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (less than a year)

Pros

The company has a long-term outlook and interest in developing their employees with the company. The industry is a slow-changing one, and so they know that to stay engaged, they need to move employees around to different areas of the company. There is growth so there are good long-term opportunities for advancement. Great company values and you are selling a product that there are very few negative social consequences to (i.e., I feel good about what I do and how I do it). Great pay/hours/balance/benefits/etc.

Cons

This is a hierarchical company in a heavily regulated and (at least in the US) saturated industry, so things can move very slow and bureaucracy can be a headache. It's just the nature of the beast, so as long as you can function in that culture where changes are slow and incremental.

There is a greater focus on improving the company from the ground level; however, decision making is concentrated in the Boston home-office. I would recommend making a bigger focus on spreading out your management talent geographically to leverage greater diversity, create better communication between the front-line and management, and to give your senior leaders more opportunity outside of Boston. Make a concerted effort to make the company truly multi-national.

Great Company! Great People! Great Place to Work!

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Working for Liberty in the Safeco Center in Seattle downtown, I love what the company stands for, how innovative it is in terms of IT/software/etc, and how hard-working yet "chill" my colleagues are. Both the Seattle buildings (Safeco Center and Safeco Plaza) are really nice and well-located. The work-life balance is great, especially as an entry-level hire/young hire (1-2 years). Salary/benefits are good too!

Cons

Since Liberty is primarily an East Coast-based company, the work hours for the Seattle employees tend to shift earlier to accomodate those employees in Boston, New Hampshire, and Indianapolis. So, key work hours in Seattle usually range from 7 AM to 3 PM, which can be hard on those who aren't "morning people." Otherwise, everything else about the company is great!

Management at Liberty should continue what they have been doing at the company over the past 5 years! They have pushed the organization to new heights, as it has become a model for how modern insurance companies should be led. Honestly, I couldn't be happier with our current high level executives/managers!

Excellent work-life balance

Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Consultant in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Great environment to work at, very understanding managers, great colleagues, excellent work life balance. Excellent 401K program if you work more than 1 year. Cheap insurance coverage. Good onboarding experience. Good system in place to install software on computers. The leadership seems very determined to get feedback and makes changes. You sometimes get free tickets to the Seattle Mariners and Sounders games. Managers are transparent in communications to and from leadership. Fantastic leave policies starting from the first year itself. Rewards system is very good (the ability to redeem rewards for gifts).

Cons

The Seattle teams are just building up their technical skills, so compensation for technical employees is lesser than the market standard. Technology wise, the company is still lagging behind and is slowly playing catch-up. TV's in every floor show just CNN and use only one-third of the screen - quite pointless. The free wi-fi is very slow. Having different cube sizes based on grade levels is quite demoralizing to junior employees. Lots of IT security restrictions in place. You cannot work on a computer besides your work laptop - you cannot log in from home on your personal workstation. I found the work I do a bit boring (but that's just a personal opinion).

Leadership needs to hire people suitable to their long term plan and vision, especially in more technical roles. Need to recognize the importance of technology in business and invest more. Have a fast track to promote exceptional junior grade employees faster.

Fortune 100 company is a good company to work for.

Current Employee - Principal Software Developer in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Principal Software Developer in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Liberty Mutual Insurance full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Global, diversified, large allows company to perform in up & down markets.

Cons

Large organization can take longer to get things done.

Liberty Mutual Insurance Photos