Liberty Mutual Insurance

Liberty Mutual Insurance President & CEO David H. Long

David H. Long

7 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

My Liberty Mutual experience

Claims Case Manager III (Former Employee)
    Weston, MA

ProsA good company to work for, good compensation & benefits & a good group of people. The office building is convenient to 95 & The Mass Pike.

ConsManagement was too concerned about "the numbers" and not the hard work & dedication of many of it's employees. There were no department or company parties to boost morale.

Advice to Senior ManagementMore individual recognition, more employee awards, more internal gatherings & boost morale...

Solid Company

Director (Current Employee)
    Weston, MA

ProsLocation, compensation, growing, flexible time off, smart people

ConsOnly small circle of people who are promoted

Underwriting Intern

Underwriting Intern (Former Employee)
    Weston, MA

ProsCongenial environment, continuous training, exposure to various jobs within business unit, opportunity for organic growth.

ConsCubicles - lack of open environment in some divisions

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote a more open office environment.

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Group Market Underwriter

Underwriter (Former Employee)
    Weston, MA

ProsThe atmosphere was very friendly and supportive. I began as an associate underwriter and was given extensive training on general underwriting principles as well as company practice and systems. Due to the relatively small size of the department it was possible to directly interact with senior management regularly. The underwriters have an assorted work history which allows for interesting collaboration and ideas when attempting to solve problems. The work and clientele are diverse which allows the underwriter to learn about many different industries and occupations. The salary is very competitive compared to many other companies in the same industry. The company also has opportunities for employees to gain certifications and qualifications such as the CPCU which are paid for by the employer. The hours are very flexible during the off season though it is expected that the necessary hours are worked to complete tasks during heavy periods of work.

ConsThe opportunity for growth was limited during my time there and there were very few opportunities to progress past a senior underwriter post. Compared to some of its publicly traded counterparts the bonuses were fairly low and tied to a performance rating system in which the rating received can sometimes seem arbitrary due to the vague performance guidelines. Promotions and awards can seem capricious as, again, performance is not tied to any specific metric but broadly defined categories. The internal relationship between other internal departments such as Sales and Actuarial can be contentious and adversarial instead of collaborative. The actuarial department in particular can be rigid and conservative in its methodology which is counter-productive to growth.

Advice to Senior ManagementNo general comments to front line management, however the performance rating system should be revamped to take into account sales performance and volume of work at least as additional factors. Also, more investment is needed within the Group Market business to facilitate growth and provide more opportunities.

Depends where you work

Senior Underwriting Assistant (Current Employee)
    Weston, MA

ProsThe UA position is a great place to start building an insurance career. I've been in Property Underwriting for several years and I'm still learning new things. Can possibly lead into Underwriter position if that is desired. Liberty offers good benefits and good pay.

ConsManagement in my region needs help. They are hands off and don't communicate with their employees much. There is no sense of team in my office.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet to know your employees. Act like you care about them. Deal with personnel issues up front instead of letting them grow to be extreme problems.

Good Culture but Dead-end

Case Manager II (Current Employee)
    Weston, MA

ProsIt is a very nice work life balance here, but it really depends where you are. Sales seems to be a pretty good gig, but in claims where i was there really was very little opportunity for advancement, altough the starting pay was decent for a recent grad. You will need to put in at least 2-3 years in claims before consideration in other departments.

ConsCan be boring, stifling, a bit stuffy and old fashioned at times. Be careful because it is easy to get comfortable and slip into mediocrity which is certainly tolerated.

Advice to Senior ManagementOverall management seems like good people although i did not have much interaction. They should do more in terms of team building and career development for those who are inerested in advancing.

Dedicated employees but youth movement under way; Change is constant.

Data Analyst (Former Employee)
    Weston, MA

ProsThe senior management team is relatively young but very bright and aggressive. They have a philosophy of taking no prisoners - live up to my expectations, unreasonable or not, or be fired. Liberty is full of good-hearted people. Many unhappy employees stay with the company because of their relationships with coworkers. Pay is satisfactory; you won't get rich unless you are in senior management. Benefits are satisfactory. For a long time, the company seemed to be a stable and secure employer; then they laid me off after 20 years.

ConsDue to the highly competitive nature of the industry, change is constant. Expect a major reorganization or acquisition every few years. The company has continually shifted costs of benefits (such as health insurance) to employees. There is a social class structure; managers often look down on staff, and professional workers often look down on admin staff. The recent layoffs appear to be disproportionately eliminating older, more experienced employees.

Advice to Senior ManagementBe loyal to long-term employees. Recognize the commitment and dedication reflected in their many years of service.

Worked for Liberty Mutual Insurance? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Mutual Insurance Videos

Liberty Mutual Insurance – Why Work for Us?

At Liberty Mutual Insurance, doing the right thing is essential to all that we do. Our commitment to building and sustaining a talented and diverse workforce has helped us to become a global leader in property and… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Mutual Insurance reviews and ratings in Weston, MA — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Mutual Insurance CEO David H. Long. All 7 reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Mutual Insurance employees.