Liberty National Life

Updated October 20, 2014
4.5

Liberty National Life President and CEO Roger C. Smith
Roger C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule, Great Pay, Awesome Team Environment, Amazing Retirement (in 9 reviews)

• Freedom of time & unlimited income potential (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • I wish I had started ten years ago because although its hard work the rewards are great (in 5 reviews)

• New agents are often not self starters and miss out on an amazing income potential (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Good company to work for. Providing important benefits to employees.

I have been working at Liberty National Life

Pros

Working with individual people to help them provide insurance for there needs. Development of a relationship with people to educate them on what they need

Cons

Traveling all over to set up enrollments. Building a relationship with business owners so they would let you offer benefits to them and their employees.

Everyone is great to work with. Friendly environment and great teamwork

Write good business, never stop prospecting, manage your business. Stick to the sales model and you will have success.

Current Employee - Agency Director in Wetumpka, AL
    Current Employee - Agency Director in Wetumpka, AL

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Changing peoples life. Knowing that what I was doing was helping even generations to come.

Cons

Pay is based on annual premium which is paid in advance, so if business goes bad then what was already paid to you in first years commissions will be taken back. No base pay. Have to be self motivated.

Great leadership. Nothing to add.

I did make a lot of money but I also had a lot of money taken away from me.

Former Employee - Supervising Agent in Corinth, MS
    Former Employee - Supervising Agent in Corinth, MS

I worked at Liberty National Life as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

The hours. I had the freedom to make my own hours. The sales training. I learned how to sell Life Insurance and Health products that will carry over into my new job. The Money. I made some pretty hefty paychecks. I could set my own hours. And the customers were for the most part awesome. I walked away from about 98% of the sales I made, feeling good that I had helped a family. The company sent me to Texas for 101 training and really motivated and encouraged me to move up to AD. For a time, I was on fire, recruiting and training and even coding agents on my own while my manager was on vacation. Sami Nizam especially made me feel like the sky was the limit as far as my career with Liberty.

Cons

The hours. Throughout my time, I was told by my manager to make my plans during the day and then go out at 3pm which was accurate because most of my customers did not get home till after 5pm. Then he would say, what are you doing all day? You should be out writing business. There are people home during the day. That worked for a short time also but they were elderly or low income/disabled who didnt need or want anymore insurance. I was in one customers home one night till 11pm writing business. I worked on saturdays and sundays after church. There were a few that I wish I had not have written simply to make a paycheck and knowing the person could well afford it but didn't really need it. My manager has been with the company a long time and many times he seemed like a policy pusher and many times he would "help" write business for me and other agents and it would come off and he would get very defensive and just say "I was trying to help you out". Near the end, I would sell a policy, everything would be fine and when the QAC would call, the customer would cancel. My manager only wanted me to be an SA because he knew that I was good at recruiting, training and coding new agents. He got to be home every night. When I got a little taste of success and Sami and other management were telling me I was well on my way to AD, my manager was telling me that I was not ready and that Sami and the rest didn't really care about me, I was just a number to them. He downplayed the success and earnings of other highly successful AD's. I realize now that my loyalty him was misplaced and that he only really cared about me up to the point that it benefited him. Because he discouraged me, I quit recruiting and training and quit caring. What was the point? I struggled for most of the year and he wanted me to stick to one area (where I lived) but sent other agents on our team to work my area also, including payroll re-enrollments. I would call him crying and telling him I needed help but he didn't really care anymore because I was not a first year agent. When I had finally had enough, I started looking for another job. Regretfully, I waited to quit until I had secured another job. When I finally sat down with my manager and agency owner. They seemed heartbroken but angry also that I was leaving to go to another Insurance company. My manager said he had no Idea I was this unhappy. That was a flat out lie! When I am regularly calling, texting, and emailing how upset and scared I am and that I am struggling and I need help, that's a clear sign that something is wrong. It is also a clear sign when I have $0 production every other week. I feel stupid because I let myself be manipulated into believing that my manager truly cared about me and my career with the company.

I don't think someone with no sales experience or who is a new agent under 1 year with company should be an SA. If they come to you from having sales experience or owning their own business then they should be fast-tracked to management. If you are looking at promoting an SA to AD, take a good hard look at THEIR AD. My AD never wanted me to move up because he would lose ME working for HIM. Just before I left, I noticed another agent who has been with the company over a year go to 101, get fired up about SA and AD positions and in the last month has stepped down as SA, and has zeroed out twice in the last month. He is no longer excited or speaking out in the Monday morning meeting and I see him heading down that same road. I think it is unacceptable to hire 100 people and expect that only 10 will stay. You need to refocus and start caring more about your first year agents and start caring more about retention.

I could not be happier with my little over one year of experience with Liberty National!

Current Employee - Agency Director in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Agency Director in Denver, CO

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Liberty National is all about growth! They reward and promote individuals who are driven to make a difference in both their own lives but the lives of those around them. The opportunities are absolutely limitless!

Cons

You must be willing to do those things that others around you simply are not. Liberty National wants only those people driven to make it to the next level and beyond! If you aren't a motivated individual, this is not the place for you!

One potential opportunity would be to offer some better benefit packages for tenured employees (outside of the amazing future renewal income)

Liberty National 4 Life

Current Employee - Agency Director in Raleigh, NC
    Current Employee - Agency Director in Raleigh, NC

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I love the culture and career track at Liberty National. No better place to take advantage of your future and Life!

Cons

You have to work hard at being you to the best of your ability! Its what you make of it! They just make it easy for you to do so!

Have Tunnel Vision on Recruiting, Training! Bring some people along the way on your path to success!

This company saved my life and opened my eyes to new opportunity. I am forever grateful.

Current Employee - Agency Director in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Agency Director in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

The training opportunities are endless and the opportunity to build your business and change the life of others endless.

Cons

I have yet to find a con in this company. The only negative impact you can bring into your organization is you.

Be inspiring, be motivational. Respect is earned, you want your people to follow you out of desire not our of cause.

Opportunity is there for the taking, just have to work the systems in place and it will happen.

Current Employee - Agency Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Current Employee - Agency Director in Phoenix, AZ

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time

Pros

You have people/leaders who care about you, teach and coach you, show you how to succeed. If you fail, look in the mirror.

Cons

Yourself and your inner voice. Get the bad voice out of your head.

The speakers you have in place for Leadership Academy's are absolutely the best. Nicely done on who you are bringing in to speak.

Excellent company. Great training. Excellent opportunity to grow and learn the insurance business.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent

I worked at Liberty National Life full-time

Pros

Great training
    Excellent support system
    Great opportunity to advance if you work hard
    Wonderful opportunity to help people and families

Cons

Commission based pay
    Be ready to invest money in gas, travel in car to meet clients. Not really a CON I just wasn't as prepared to budget as much for those costs and it somewhat affected my productivity

Opportunity of a Lifetime

Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Fort Payne, AL
    Current Employee - Supervising Agent in Fort Payne, AL

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Liberty National truly cares for it's employees. Praise, encouragement and support are the norm if you work for Liberty National. As an agent your earning potential is limitless and training is readily available. This is one of the few companies I've seen that encourages promotions among employees by management.

Cons

I haven't found anything I dislike about this company.

Keep up the good work!

Liberty National.

Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Florence, AL
    Former Employee - Insurance Agent in Florence, AL

I worked at Liberty National Life full-time (more than an year)

Pros

I really enjoyed how much they helped you get on your feet. When I first started there, I had no idea what I was doing. The managers at Liberty National made sure I was 110% before they let me go off on my own.

Cons

I did not like the office setting. Some, not all, of the staff would act like they were way bigger than what they really were. I did not like that aspect of it. I prefer a work place where everyone acts like themselves, not a big time show off trying to make themselves out to be something.

Keep helping people out, and have a talk with the show offs.

Liberty National Life Photos