Liberty National Life

Updated December 14, 2014
4.4

Liberty National Life President and CEO Roger C. Smith
Roger C. Smith

Pros
  • Flexible Schedule, Great Pay, Awesome Team Environment, Amazing Retirement (in 9 reviews)

• The opportunity for advancement is amazing (in 4 reviews)

Cons
  • I wish I had started ten years ago because although its hard work the rewards are great (in 5 reviews)

• New agents are often not self starters and miss out on an amazing income potential (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Great room to advance and very helpful supervisors, not for everyone though!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Ocala, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Ocala, FL

I have been working at Liberty National Life as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

Promotions are in reach for those willing to jump. Training is great, incentives for producing, teaches you a lot about the industry, many people available to help, unlimited earnings, bonuses are good - especially during the holidays. Easy to get in touch with upper level management.

Cons

Not really a con but its a contract so you have to log occasional expenses.
    Expect to work a lot if you want to earn a lot (80k+) in your first year.
    Can be stressful trying to earn as much as possible.
    Flex schedule can sometimes interfere with personal life.

Layout the bonuses further in advance when it comes to special occasions like holidays. Improve the IT department (its not that bad but its not great either).

Great opportunity for a new career with unlimited earning potential while helping people plan for their future.

Former Employee - Supervising Agent in Jasper, AL
    Former Employee - Supervising Agent in Jasper, AL

I worked at Liberty National Life

Pros

While helping people feel secure with life's' inevitable events, you also have the opportunity to make an awesome income!!

Cons

Long hours and income varies to the clientele you personally have access to

Provide more promising leads to potential customers. Less of the 1/3 method.

Challenging, but rewarding

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Tampa, FL

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Advancement opportunity, great pay, great support system, ability to choose area of work

Cons

At least 1 full month of UNPAID training, offices are few and far between for training (lots of travel needed to complete said training), all expenses (travel/food/other) are paid for by individual, TREMENDOUS amount of travel required daily, management expects near all recruits to immediately assume recruiting role and bring in as many people as possible, lots to learn initially, entirely paid by commission only, takes a while to see a regular cash flow.

Please be more up-front to future employees/recruits. Many people brought in are not expecting (myself included) to have over a month of unpaid training, for the job to be purely commission based, or that it takes a few months to establish clients and referrals.

Opportunity of a lifetime

I worked at Liberty National Life

Pros

Great Training, Great opportunity to earn a good income with residual income. Flexible schedule, Company paid trips and bonuses for quality output. Once you get started and stick with the system, you'll earn what you're worth.

Cons

Limited referral base, no sponsored leads, limited marketing. Must have a financial reserve of at least 1 month to account for slow starts.

Very tough first year but if you can make it 10 years, you've got it made!

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Corinth, MS
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Corinth, MS

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Great flexibility, paid weekly, good people to work with.

Cons

Boring and long Monday meetings. Your pay depends on the customers decision to buy or not. You don't sell you don't get paid.

Please stop with the "Me, Me, Me", "look what I have done" Monday meetings. Make meetings more informational, beneficial and shorter! An agent's time is his money!

The best career move I ever made, it really has become the opportunity of my lifetime!

Current Employee - Agency Director in Roswell, GA
    Current Employee - Agency Director in Roswell, GA

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The opportunity for advancement is amazing! I am fortunate to work for one of the top agencies in the entire company which has jump started my career. I never would have thought that my first year out of college I would have been able to make a six figure income and make an impact on so many with the products this company provides. To say my two and a half years with the company has been rewarding would be an understatement. The hands on training I received from day one with my manager and experience I gained through the great clients of Liberty National paved the road for my success. I look forward to the growth next year, with both Liberty National and our agency experiencing double digit growth the future looks bright for 2015!

Cons

The only Con is actually a Pro, you control your destiny with this company. Unfortunately some people don't want to be in control of theirs. So if your unwilling to work you will be unsuccessful.

Keep it up! Continue to seek out the top candidates to grow the company and protect more families across America.

You gotta spend money to . . . be completely scammed out of your money. Because you AREN'T making money.

Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent in Irving, TX

I have been working at Liberty National Life

Pros

None. Run far far away, and never look back. You are better off being unemployed. At least you wont be spending as much money.

Cons

I cannot possibly put all the cons in 20 words or less. See the advice to management.

CONS:
    Long, impossible hours. 7 days a week.
    You can never take time off, or it ruins your commission percentage and take home pay.
    You pay for everything out of pocket
    100% commission, no salary at all.
    No office space or office supplies to use. Everything is out of pocket ( including phones)
    You have to PAY THE COMPANY BACK if someone backs out of a sale before a year. Even if you don't work there anymore. seriously. they sent me a bill. over $500. I wish I was joking.
    They do not pay for you to get license and you do NOT generate income while you study for the exam. (They will tell you otherwise.)
    As a woman, i had to put myself in situations where i often did not feel safe. I considered getting a concealed handgun licence for protection. I was scared.
    It is an EXTREMELY competitive and aggressive workplace environment.
    They will make you bother EVERY friend, family and acquaintance you have, they will stand over you until you have asked every contact in your phone if they would like insurance. They will yell at you if you have a hospitalized client who has not returned a call. They are sharks. They feed off your family and friends. They do not care.
    The only people who make money is the management. They make a commission off of your sales, and do not reap the consequences of failed sales.
    YOU will NOT make a full commission off of your family and friends because they will be sold during the training phase. A biiiiig chunk goes to your trainer. . and manager. . . and their manager. you know. . like a pyramid. in an almost scheme like fashion. . .
    The revolving door nature of this job ensures the managers have a constant supply of new contacts to leech off of.
    Did I mention that I ended up paying the company almost MORE than what they paid me?
    Can i mention it again? I will. YOU WILL PAY MORE MONEY THEN YOU WILL MAKE.
    I only got 2 paychecks in 4 months. . and i wasn't bad at sales. . Nobody you meet will be qualified.
    I'm pretty sure that management puts fake reviews on sites like glass door, to offset the honest ones. ( They mentioned to me that they have)
    This was one of the very worst experiences of my life. Please, don't make the same mistake i did. Don't feel special that the manager "saw your resume on ( insert online job search site here) and was really interested in talking to you. " . . . they literally have a list of names taken from the internet and invite EVERYONE. OH, and YOU will be making those recruitment calls. . . from your PERSONAL cell phone. . OH. . and did i mention you won't be paid for your time or phone bill? Yeah. . .

And the test isn't easy either. Most of management almost failed it themselves. I had the highest grade in the office at the time. Seriously. Most people fail before they get past the test ( and are out over $200.)

Advice to management:

You are the best at praying on the recent grads, the desperate, the unemployed and the underemployed. One woman I was studying for the test with failed the test 3 times. She couldn't afford food and was living off donations from the church. . but I'm sure you told her she could be rich some day. You guys are awesome! Great Job!

Also, great job at brainwashing new hires! Just Fantastic!

Do not work for this company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Naperville, IL

I worked at Liberty National Life

Pros

Some people there are very nice, can be a fun place to work

Cons

Worst company I have ever worked for in my life. They have horrible management depending on the position or your recuirter is defiantly if your looking for a real full time hourly based job this is not it. They will convience you to come in for a interview to try and sell you to be a sales agent. They make money off you and that's all they are looking for. Honestly don't expect to be treated with respect there. My expiernce there was not so good. Trust me its not somewhere you wanna work!

If you hire someone you need to explain better detail on the position, don't look out for just yourself

Good company to work for. Providing important benefits to employees.

I have been working at Liberty National Life

Pros

Working with individual people to help them provide insurance for there needs. Development of a relationship with people to educate them on what they need

Cons

Traveling all over to set up enrollments. Building a relationship with business owners so they would let you offer benefits to them and their employees.

Everyone is great to work with. Friendly environment and great teamwork

Started to work this past Monday, haven't had the first presentation, office is a playground while the teacher is out

Current Employee - Insurance Agent
    Current Employee - Insurance Agent

I have been working at Liberty National Life full-time (less than an year)

Pros

Right now the only pro is one woman I work with - she's gone out of her way to help steer me in the right direction and let me tag along with her. She seems like a truly nice woman who really wants to help people. They made sure my $50 licensing fee went through and got that filed quickly. I'm still willing to stay with Liberty National, maybe just in another office.

Cons

Owner has not been in the office the entire week more than 10 minutes. SA has been out since Tuesday. Agents are split into two groups and some from one group jumped ship on Wednesday to go to the other group. Of course, I've been put with the group they jumped from. I've asked about leads since Tuesday morning, still haven't been given any. I've been shown the presentation once, on Monday, and until last night I couldn't even get it to run on my laptop. I'm seriously disappointed at this point, if things don't change by next week, I'll be moving along. I can't keep dropping money into something that I can't get a return on - not because I can't do the work but because no one is bothering to show me how Liberty National Life works or how to put the information into the computer to sale a policy. Seems the agents, except for one, are more concerned with whispering in the back room and sitting in the car smoking than they are about helping the new people figure out which was is up. I still don't understand why I can't get leads and work them - how hard is that to print and hand to me. They couldn't wait to get me hired in but since I started, I feel like I've just been forgotten about.

Liberty National Life Photos