Liberty Power Corp
www.libertypowercorp.com Fort Lauderdale, FL 150 to 499 Employees

Liberty Power Corp Reviews

Updated Mar 13, 2014

David Hernandez

Lots of potential but bad processes and questionable internal practices stifle innovation and growth

I worked at Liberty Power Corp as a contractor for more than 3 years

ProsTop management means well and really wants to make it a great place to work. They put a lot of money and effort to make it a more fun company, full time casual, the parties etc.. They also invested in making the environment better, nicer (cafeteria, bathrooms). They are committed to make the company thrive and succeed. Very interesting business with unlimited potential.

ConsPressure for greater revenue are causing middle management to give the top folks a different version of the truth. Certain departments are using former employee ids to make account changes, then ask IT to "fix" the data to reactivate at different dates to inflate THEIR department numbers. A contract is a binding agreement between two parties, your processes should not allow anyone to "adjust" the dates of service or amounts to fit their reports or numbers then change it back later. This is symptomatic of the issues that are destroying this potentially great company from within. The IT department is dysfunctional at this point, some changes in the right direction have been made, but it might be too late at this point. Case in point, everyone in the company, with the exception of phone staff, is allowed to work from home, but all developers are specifically excluded. As a consultant, I watched in amazement as countless well thought out, cost effective ideas got shot down time and time again or just plain ignored. The favored approach is to build in house, yeah that can be fun but it may not always be the most cost effective

Advice to Senior Management1) Fix your IT department: Your business relies on data, especially accurate data. Give IT the authority to be the data gatekeepers. You can't allow departments to keep bending/violating the rules in their favor to protect their number. 2) Change your processes to allow issues to be brought up w/o repercussions, bringing up concerns about data issues are ignored. If anything the person bringing up the issue gets pushed aside or worse. Here are some questions to ask yourselves: if after all these endless rounds of layoffs and continuous rotation of IT staff (web and database developers) the problems are still there, could it be that the problem is not with the IT staff itself? Departments are made of people, people with jobs. What jobs are at stake if "the numbers don't look good"? (Hint: it's not the developers). Who, in your company, is closest to data, has a full view of all departments and a day to day, hands on knowledge of what is really going on?

Dedicated employees working for inferior senior maangers and execs

PMO (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Power Corp as a contractor for less than a year

ProsNice people who really want to do a good job in a tough env.

Conssystems are in disarray and unreliable.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove IT

Has Potential, however, Window of Opportunity is Closing

I have been working at Liberty Power Corp as a contractor for more than a year

ProsFascinating industry with plenty of room for diversification and growth.
Some of the best and hardest working people out there, including management.
Good pay and benefits.
Management is open and flexible to accommodate your personal ability and growth potential.

ConsCEO is an entrepreneur through and through and has done an excellent job starting the business - now he faces the difficult decision of being able to hand-off control to a tenured energy management team with experience in growth.

Lack of FOCUS and conscientious planning combined with anxious energy to see immediate results leads to ever changing priorities.

Lack of adequate investment and focus on infrastructure has resulted in very poor customer service - internal and external customers.

Friends and family have an unfair advantage, they eliminate opportunities for qualified applicants and create additional work for many.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously consider "growth" management team, please.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very bad experience

I worked at Liberty Power Corp as a contractor for less than a year

Pros-No dress code-they send you emails when you have to dress business
-Flexible spending account
-Upper management positions well compensated.

Cons-Very disorganized environment.
-They try to implement some core values but nobody believes in them.
-Don’t leave your job for this company. They will tempt you with a high pay, use you and lay you off few months later.
-Hard workers are laid off and replaced with friends and family members with no skills to do the job. Some of them don’t speak English.
-You don’t have job security. Hard work doesn’t guarantee your job.
-Long hours-8PM is early.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice core values.
Practice transparency.
Have decency to give up!

Monumental inefficiency, lousy with nepotism and politics

I worked at Liberty Power Corp full-time for less than a year

ProsCompensation and perks were competitive

ConsLow morale, meetings about meetings, not conducive to career growth

Advice to Senior ManagementTransparency.

Great company!

I worked at Liberty Power Corp

ProsGreat mission. CEO addresses everyone by name. Holidays and Weekends off. Best holiday parties and picnics. Great benefits.

ConsOutside sales team. Management turnaround time. Micromanagement. Additional responsibilities without additional pay /advancement

Layoff happy!! They are down to less than 50% of their peak employee strength!!

I have been working at Liberty Power Corp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsNo dress code. Fort Lauderdale has nice beaches.

ConsLong hours. Demeaning management. Poor systems. No opportunity to progress unless you are a friend or family. No work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it up.

Loser place

Wholesale (Current Employee)

I have been working at Liberty Power Corp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsLack of dress code. Nice chairs.

ConsCompetitive electricity markets do not work for the consumer: a nuclear baseload plant can produce power for less than $17/MWh. During peak periods because the open cycle gas turbine plants can produce power for around $50/MWh, all plants producing power at that time receive the $70 MWh. So you have a plant the can produce at $17/MWh getting paid $70/MWh. In regulated markets the pricing of generation is based on cost to serve. Hence as these recent cold spells prove, deregulated markets do not work for the consumer, they only benefit generators.

So this company is in the deregulated markets as a supplier without any power generation assets. Hence it's going down. It is an unethical company (google Liberty Power New York), and was founded by an ex-Enron finance manager.

They paint a false picture to new hires, and say that the company is doing great and all. The truth is actually the opposite. So beware, because you'll be laid off soon after you start.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo late to save the company. give up.

Fundamentals does not apply

I have been working at Liberty Power Corp full-time for more than 3 years

ProsThe people are good to work with

Consmajor layoffs, outsourcing, training does not seem to be relevant, upper Management lacks confidentiality and professionalism. way to many meetings and preparations for meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonor your commitments, speak straight, communicate to be understood, stop setting up false expectations, stop misleading employees. Listen to what your front line employees are really saying.

Nepotism, Cronyism, lots of "isms"

Senior Software Engineer (Former Employee)

I worked at Liberty Power Corp full-time for more than a year

ProsAbove industry salary, that is about it. They used to have a decent cafeteria, but it was replaced my what appears to be a 7-Eleven with a self payment kiosk.

ConsIf you work in IT as a software developer you will never go anywhere in this company. The IT department is littered with overpaid short-sighted contract employees and recently many offshore contractors who are tasked with nothing more than fixing bugs in a poorly architected system. So when you get a high paying offer from Liberty Power don't get too excited, they literally have to pay above industry salary, because they have burned so many developers in the area. Also, the lay management uses IT contractors as scapegoats all the time and you will eventually be let go, especially if you are a good developer and do the right thing.

When I first started working there I was told by IT management that "The Business Does Not Trust The IT Department". I later found that most long term IT employees are extremely passive aggressive towards the company and actually are consciously hurting the company by suppressing progress. IT executives here have heavy titles that they don't live up to technically or professionally.

If you happen to work on a project that contributes to the company's bottom line, expect that your project will be doomed by too many useless people latching onto it.

There are about 3 managers per developer in this company and all the managers do ask the same question over and over again and close meetings by asking "how long will it take?" Very frustrating!

The company is minority owned and most of the high level positions are held by family members of the CEO, lots of nepotism! Lots of corporate cronyism too, the inept tend to huddle together here.

The overall attitude of middle management is do as little as possible and push the constantly changing agenda of the CEO. When working here you will hear lots of contridictions and verbal hedging (i.e. "Lets do the right thing if it doesn't impact the bottom line or is too hard").

Advice to Senior ManagementWhen you tell people to "Do the Right Thing" make sure when they, they don't get pushed out by other groups of people who are trying to cover up for their mistakes.

Worked for Liberty Power Corp? Contribute to the Community!

Liberty Power Corp Videos

Liberty Power Corp – Why Work for Us?

Welcome to Liberty Power! We started Liberty Power to make it easier for businesses to buy electricity in states open to competition. Energy costs continue to be one of the largest and most volatile operating expenses… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Liberty Power Corp reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Liberty Power Corp CEO David Hernandez. All 43 reviews posted anonymously by Liberty Power Corp employees.