Liberty Power Corp

Updated May 19, 2014

David Hernandez

Things are getting better

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsI was a contractor before I was converted to perm. During that time I was witness to the layoffs and the reduced spending. While I feel for the people that were affected by the layoffs unfortunately it is sometimes a necessary evil for a business to survive. However, things are beginning to look up again and I'm hopeful that the trend will continue.

Great Co-workers
    Competitive Salaries
    No Dress Code
    Work-Life Balance

ConsUpper management could have handled the layoff/cost avoidance strategy better.

Advice to Senior ManagementFrom what I understand Liberty Power has grown from a small ship to a large ship. Please keep that in mind when changing course as the wakes left behind can have longer lasting effects. I am buying into the "Powerful Together" philosophy and am hoping that I made the right choice.

Liberty Power employee review

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsLots of talent within the sixth floor

ConsManagement will make the business collapse!

Advice to Senior ManagementNo advise to management... I have read through so many glass door reviews that the door should have shattered by now. If your unhappy at a company than leave it... that simple

Dedicated employees working for inferior senior maangers and execs

PMO (Former Employee)

ProsNice people who really want to do a good job in a tough env.

Conssystems are in disarray and unreliable.

Advice to Senior Managementimprove IT

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Lots of potential but bad processes and questionable internal practices stifle innovation and growth

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsTop management means well and really wants to make it a great place to work. They put a lot of money and effort to make it a more fun company, full time casual, the parties etc.. They also invested in making the environment better, nicer (cafeteria, bathrooms). They are committed to make the company thrive and succeed. Very interesting business with unlimited potential.

ConsPressure for greater revenue are causing middle management to give the top folks a different version of the truth. Certain departments are using former employee ids to make account changes, then ask IT to "fix" the data to reactivate at different dates to inflate THEIR department numbers. A contract is a binding agreement between two parties, your processes should not allow anyone to "adjust" the dates of service or amounts to fit their reports or numbers then change it back later. This is symptomatic of the issues that are destroying this potentially great company from within. The IT department is dysfunctional at this point, some changes in the right direction have been made, but it might be too late at this point. Case in point, everyone in the company, with the exception of phone staff, is allowed to work from home, but all developers are specifically excluded. As a consultant, I watched in amazement as countless well thought out, cost effective ideas got shot down time and time again or just plain ignored. The favored approach is to build in house, yeah that can be fun but it may not always be the most cost effective

Advice to Senior Management1) Fix your IT department: Your business relies on data, especially accurate data. Give IT the authority to be the data gatekeepers. You can't allow departments to keep bending/violating the rules in their favor to protect their number. 2) Change your processes to allow issues to be brought up w/o repercussions, bringing up concerns about data issues are ignored. If anything the person bringing up the issue gets pushed aside or worse. Here are some questions to ask yourselves: if after all these endless rounds of layoffs and continuous rotation of IT staff (web and database developers) the problems are still there, could it be that the problem is not with the IT staff itself? Departments are made of people, people with jobs. What jobs are at stake if "the numbers don't look good"? (Hint: it's not the developers). Who, in your company, is closest to data, has a full view of all departments and a day to day, hands on knowledge of what is really going on?

Has Potential, however, Window of Opportunity is Closing

(Current Employee)

ProsFascinating industry with plenty of room for diversification and growth.
    Some of the best and hardest working people out there, including management.
    Good pay and benefits.
    Management is open and flexible to accommodate your personal ability and growth potential.

ConsCEO is an entrepreneur through and through and has done an excellent job starting the business - now he faces the difficult decision of being able to hand-off control to a tenured energy management team with experience in growth.

Lack of FOCUS and conscientious planning combined with anxious energy to see immediate results leads to ever changing priorities.

Lack of adequate investment and focus on infrastructure has resulted in very poor customer service - internal and external customers.

Friends and family have an unfair advantage, they eliminate opportunities for qualified applicants and create additional work for many.

Advice to Senior ManagementSeriously consider "growth" management team, please.

– I'm not optimistic about the outlook for this company

Very bad experience

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

Pros-No dress code-they send you emails when you have to dress business
    -Flexible spending account
    -Upper management positions well compensated.

Cons-Very disorganized environment.
    -They try to implement some core values but nobody believes in them.
    -Don’t leave your job for this company. They will tempt you with a high pay, use you and lay you off few months later.
    -Hard workers are laid off and replaced with friends and family members with no skills to do the job. Some of them don’t speak English.
    -You don’t have job security. Hard work doesn’t guarantee your job.
    -Long hours-8PM is early.

Advice to Senior ManagementPractice core values.
    Practice transparency.
    Have decency to give up!

Great company!

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsGreat mission. CEO addresses everyone by name. Holidays and Weekends off. Best holiday parties and picnics. Great benefits.

ConsOutside sales team. Management turnaround time. Micromanagement. Additional responsibilities without additional pay /advancement

Layoff happy!! They are down to less than 50% of their peak employee strength!!

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsNo dress code. Fort Lauderdale has nice beaches.

ConsLong hours. Demeaning management. Poor systems. No opportunity to progress unless you are a friend or family. No work life balance.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive it up.

Loser place

Wholesale (Current Employee) Fort Lauderdale, FL

ProsLack of dress code. Nice chairs.

ConsCompetitive electricity markets do not work for the consumer: a nuclear baseload plant can produce power for less than $17/MWh. During peak periods because the open cycle gas turbine plants can produce power for around $50/MWh, all plants producing power at that time receive the $70 MWh. So you have a plant the can produce at $17/MWh getting paid $70/MWh. In regulated markets the pricing of generation is based on cost to serve. Hence as these recent cold spells prove, deregulated markets do not work for the consumer, they only benefit generators.

So this company is in the deregulated markets as a supplier without any power generation assets. Hence it's going down. It is an unethical company (google Liberty Power New York), and was founded by an ex-Enron finance manager.

They paint a false picture to new hires, and say that the company is doing great and all. The truth is actually the opposite. So beware, because you'll be laid off soon after you start.

Advice to Senior Managementtoo late to save the company. give up.

Fundamentals does not apply

ProsThe people are good to work with

Consmajor layoffs, outsourcing, training does not seem to be relevant, upper Management lacks confidentiality and professionalism. way to many meetings and preparations for meetings.

Advice to Senior ManagementHonor your commitments, speak straight, communicate to be understood, stop setting up false expectations, stop misleading employees. Listen to what your front line employees are really saying.

Worked for Liberty Power Corp? Contribute to the Community!