Liberty Travel Reviews

Work hard, play hard!

Former Employee - Recruiter in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Recruiter in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel

Pros

Cool culture, good benefits, fast-paced, high energy. Great conference, travel benefits, very nice people. Uniform saved you money!

Cons

Goals not always attainable, should have more input from front line. Required to wear a uniform but it didn't always look good on everyone.

Advice to Management

More of an open door policy would be helpful. Share travel benefits with those in HQ and not just the sales teams.

Circling the Drain

Former Employee - Travel Agent in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Travel Agent in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel

Pros

Training was actually my favorite memory of this place. Met some really fun, young people when I was excited about this opportunity. Overall i did learn a lot about time management, prioritization, and problem solving in a fast paced environment. With travel, things go wrong CONSTANTLY. You have to work fast and efficiently to fix it or prepared to get screamed at by a client and hopefully not your team leader as well. I truly enjoyed this at first. but have left with such a terrible taste in my mouth it is hard to remember the good things. But everything below is 100% true.

Cool conference at a Sandals property for everyone hired in the first year a few months later. You do not see sunlight as you are working and attending a conference and training each day over the weekend. However, you get completely obliterated at night at the parties.

Great travel opportunities with trips called FAM's (familiarization tours) but do not let that fool you. You will be working more on most of these than at the office. Waking up at 6AM, not able to get back to your room until 10:00PM. if you pick the right one though it could be a really great time. Depends on the people as well. Try to go on a FAM for Liberty Travel consultants only. Then it will surely be a party. However, depending on your manager/ area leader you may not even get the opportunity to go. A coworker of mine who was relatively new, her numbers were not the greatest but she was still trying, asked to go. The area manager's response was "what are you doing for me for me to reward you to allow you to go?" These are supposed to be a learning experience so you can know the product better to sell it... and you are going to deny them the one perk of this job? The company promotes alcoholism. Drinking in the office, at buzz nights which they make you drive after work, unpaid, to have dinner with a bunch of people who do not want to be there either so they all guzzle booze. Young, fun atmosphere if you are in the right office. But one person can change the entire dynamic. The only way you will not want to end your life at this job is if you do not take it seriously. If you start really worrying about numbers and reaching your target you will end up screwing yourself in the end because the goals are completely unattainable. They will chalk that up to you not working hard enough and not being good enough. But remember they are truly unreachable. Take this job as a joke and get as much out of it as possible and then leave like everyone else and you will not be disappointed. Turn over rate of 35% in the first year.....enough said.

Cons

At first this company seems great. They paint you a picture that you will be rolling in sales and commission which is completely false. You will work yourself into the ground until you can no longer do it and then they will simply get a new work horse. You are just a number do not be fooled to think differently. Your value in this company and in the office is the amount of sales you bring in each month. And the sales are not easy to close, client's will constantly try to nickle and dime you and price check you. As they should. But this is a dying industry. People can do everything themselves online. They also want you to lie to clients and say there is no service fee. BS. They are now asking you to "charge your worth" and sneak the service fee in other places. They are getting even shadier as the time goes on because they are getting desperate to stay in business.

You will also have the same goals as stores in Manhattan and throughout New York where a travel agent is a staple. I'm sure that when you work for Liberty in those areas it is a delight since money literally falls into your lap. However, in the rest of the country this is not the case. If you do not make your unattainable goals enjoy getting your job and position threatened at the end of each month. Who wants to work for a company like that? I wish i had taken more of the reviews to heart before I wasted several years at this company. Management is also ridiculous. They definitely drink the Kool-aid and try to force feed it to you. And it works for the first year. But after that the honeymoon phase wares off and you dread going into the office each day to just get beaten down by management and clients. I have been told by management that "I pay you to smile". Meaning suck it up, and make me more money while you scrape by on a barely livable base salary and a commission percentage that you could laugh at.

Advice to Management

Value your employees like they are people. not just numbers.. Everyone is working hard, but they seem to forget that.

Threatening your job security and position at the end of every month is NOT motivating. at all.

Keep people who have been there. Knowledge is one of your core values but the consultants with product knowledge you don't care to see go. you would rather get a new work horse than treat your staff well. They say they like new blood. It's because the people who have been there finally wiz-en up and realize that you can find a job that pays just as much, if not more that does not come with all of the bull that Liberty and clients puts you through and expects you to smile about it.

3. Fun Company

Current Employee - Vacation Expert in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Vacation Expert in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (More than a year)

Pros

There are alot of pros for Liberty Travel.
    1) They treat their employees great
    2) FAM Trips. Familiarization Trips
    3) Liberty Travel is owned by Flight Centre there is alot of companies in 1
    4) Alot of the conferences revolve around drinking/partying
    5) Great Job for any age

Cons

1) You need to have a very competitive attitude to move foward
    2) I dont think the salary is competitive
    3) You have to love what you do
    4) See #4 Pro could be a Con for some people.

A great Company and a culture where you get to be a real dream maker!!

Current Employee - Area Leader in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Area Leader in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Liberty Travel is a great company to work for with a long history over 60 years running and a strong people focused culture. As part of Flight Centre the company is part of one of the largest travel related services companies in the world and therefore presents unique global opportunities to its team members to work in many different businesses and countries. What first attracted me to the company was the fact that many of its team members have been with the company for over ten to fifteen years and love working here, and the company considers its team its number one priority. The Company is also very diverse and gladly welcomes all!! This was very important as I was looking for a long term career not just a job. You must come to this company READY TO WORK, and work VERY hard with long hours in order to succeed. This is a sales career unlike most retail sales jobs in that you are not just selling vacations, you are creating lifelong memories for your clients and making dreams come true! You must come with patience. You will be responsible for building your own business and your success will depend on your ability to serve and satisfy your clients so that they will want to return and refer their family and friends to you...this is THE KEY to success. You must be ready to work towards specific sales targets and be ready to go the extra mile to achieve them. If you love sales, have a true passion for travel and have the patience to build your business you WILL be VERY successful here. The Company is 100% committed to promoting from within and if you dedicate yourself to your career and work hard, unlike many companies that overlook their talent, at Liberty your achievements will be rewarded. Whether your desire is to be a top sales person, leadership, or work abroad your hard work is recognized and celebrated. I have been with the company now over two years and in that time because of my hard work and achievements and a desire to move into leadership I have been promoted from Consultant to multiple leadership positions and it has been an amazing journey. At Liberty as long as you work hard and have a passion to succeed and approach your job with a genuine noble purpose there will always be another challenge and opportunity for you.

Cons

Again you will have to work hard and have patience when first joining the company. You cannot join the team thinking you will be rich quick! It will take time to build your business but the salary and bonus structure is generous and if you work hard and put the time in you will be well taken care of and can enjoy a long career here. One of the constants of the Company is Change and new strategies are implemented often so you will need to be adaptable. While some may see this as a con the changes are for the better and each year the Company improves and remains profitable because of them....which translates into greater opportunity for personal success!

Horrible company to work for! Don't even waste your time applying!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time

Pros

None! None! None! None! None!

Cons

They generally don't care about you! Treat employees horribly, low pay, not consistent in any area, no accountability EVER held for anyone! All they do is bring people over from other countries and tell us how we do things wrong & how they do it better over there!

Advice to Management

Treat your people equally and actually believe in your so called philosophies!

Check your brain at the door, if you work in the Ramsey office

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay contract employees well.
    Very social. They like to party.

Cons

They pay full-time staff peanuts.
    The expectations for full-time staff are way, way out of line with compensation - anyone with any sense or career aspirations, looks for a better job.
    Project planning, when it existed at all, was like one of those AT&T "It's Complicated" commercials where the man is brainstorming around a small table with kids in a classroom. I really wish I was joking about this.
    It was also never clear who owned or was accountable for projects. Since there was no planning, when you had a question about scope ... the answer was always, what do you think it should do? I kid you not.
    Communication about almost anything you can imagine needs to be communicated in a work environment was very, very poor.
    The work style is just get it done, with no thought to efficiency, scalability, or how to maintain a solution in the future.
    They like to party a bit too much, esp. junior staff, e.g. a looming project deadline was surprisingly less important than happy hour.
    As a result, the work ethic is unbelievably low here. It is generally a ghost town by 5:30pm ... which is why I guess they need to hire contract employees.
    Ramsey office is in the sticks. Hard to be relevant when nowhere near an urban center.

Advice to Management

Honestly, I saw no clear leadership on any level. It is not clear who to even address this advice to within the company. If anyone ever steps-up and takes the reins, rebuild management from scratch. If anyone is thinking of buying this company, it is a ship lost at sea, still partying though like it has just left the port. As the pool of elderly folks who are avoiding the Internet and still rely on actual travel agents dwindles, this business model will not be sustainable. Management seems oblivious to this key fact.

Unethical company, poor leadership and no clear direction

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time

Pros

Discount travel is really the only thing going for it. There are some great people in the business trying to keep it a float.

Cons

Leadership team is fragmented in approach. Culture is terrible, HR is the worst I've experienced. Behavior edges on dishonest at times.

Advice to Management

Replace your senior Leadership team with actual leaders. Hold the company values that are supposed to be in place.

Great travel perks if you work in Product or Marketing, but not much else to offer.

Former Employee - Product Coordinator (Analyst) in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Product Coordinator (Analyst) in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-If you work in Product or Marketing at HQ, great travel perks on personal time.
    -People are generally very friendly, but also very cliquey.
    That's about it for pros.

Cons

-Not much travel for anyone except Managers.
    -You won't learn much from the work- it's mostly pulling reports and using systems with not much thought.
    -You'll wait forever for a promotion or management position. Liberty and GOGO consider everything a lateral move with no pay increase. Promotions are given to those that have played the political game the best.
    -Pay is Atrocious! I was paid more during my internship in college. The same goes for every position within the company. I'm sure Managers that are "favorites" get paid more, but even they could do significantly better elsewhere.
    -Even salaried positions have to clock in and out, so pay is technically hourly. If you don't clock a full 8 hours per day, you are docked vacation time.
    -No training opportunities.
    -The only benefits are medical and dental, which cost a fortune (at least 2x as much as others I know). Discounted hotel rates for immediate family members only, but only for certain ones. No tuition reimbursement or any other perk you could think of.
    -Building is dismal and depressing to work in. Barely any windows except in the GOGO and Marketing sections.

Advice to Management

-Offer more meaningful projects to team members, as well as learning opportunities.
    -Reward those that work the hardest.
    -Come up with a better process for decision making. It takes way too long and too many meetings to come to any decisions.

Liberty Travel Photos