Liberty Travel

Updated August 13, 2014
2.5

Liberty Travel President Emma Jupp
Emma Jupp

Pros
  • The only thing is if you have great people in your office you can develop great relationships (in 7 reviews)

• it is a cool job you learn a lot working here and a diverse company (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say the work life balance is the most negative factor about this company (in 6 reviews)

• It would be nice if upper management would actually read the comments and start actually listening to your people (in 9 reviews)

More Highlights

6 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Fun Company

Current Employee - Vacation Expert in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Vacation Expert in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (more than an year)

Pros

There are alot of pros for Liberty Travel.
    1) They treat their employees great
    2) FAM Trips. Familiarization Trips
    3) Liberty Travel is owned by Flight Centre there is alot of companies in 1
    4) Alot of the conferences revolve around drinking/partying
    5) Great Job for any age

Cons

1) You need to have a very competitive attitude to move foward
    2) I dont think the salary is competitive
    3) You have to love what you do
    4) See #4 Pro could be a Con for some people.

A great Company and a culture where you get to be a real dream maker!!

Current Employee - Area Leader in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Area Leader in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Liberty Travel is a great company to work for with a long history over 60 years running and a strong people focused culture. As part of Flight Centre the company is part of one of the largest travel related services companies in the world and therefore presents unique global opportunities to its team members to work in many different businesses and countries. What first attracted me to the company was the fact that many of its team members have been with the company for over ten to fifteen years and love working here, and the company considers its team its number one priority. The Company is also very diverse and gladly welcomes all!! This was very important as I was looking for a long term career not just a job. You must come to this company READY TO WORK, and work VERY hard with long hours in order to succeed. This is a sales career unlike most retail sales jobs in that you are not just selling vacations, you are creating lifelong memories for your clients and making dreams come true! You must come with patience. You will be responsible for building your own business and your success will depend on your ability to serve and satisfy your clients so that they will want to return and refer their family and friends to you...this is THE KEY to success. You must be ready to work towards specific sales targets and be ready to go the extra mile to achieve them. If you love sales, have a true passion for travel and have the patience to build your business you WILL be VERY successful here. The Company is 100% committed to promoting from within and if you dedicate yourself to your career and work hard, unlike many companies that overlook their talent, at Liberty your achievements will be rewarded. Whether your desire is to be a top sales person, leadership, or work abroad your hard work is recognized and celebrated. I have been with the company now over two years and in that time because of my hard work and achievements and a desire to move into leadership I have been promoted from Consultant to multiple leadership positions and it has been an amazing journey. At Liberty as long as you work hard and have a passion to succeed and approach your job with a genuine noble purpose there will always be another challenge and opportunity for you.

Cons

Again you will have to work hard and have patience when first joining the company. You cannot join the team thinking you will be rich quick! It will take time to build your business but the salary and bonus structure is generous and if you work hard and put the time in you will be well taken care of and can enjoy a long career here. One of the constants of the Company is Change and new strategies are implemented often so you will need to be adaptable. While some may see this as a con the changes are for the better and each year the Company improves and remains profitable because of them....which translates into greater opportunity for personal success!

Horrible company to work for! Don't even waste your time applying!

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time

Pros

None! None! None! None! None!

Cons

They generally don't care about you! Treat employees horribly, low pay, not consistent in any area, no accountability EVER held for anyone! All they do is bring people over from other countries and tell us how we do things wrong & how they do it better over there!

Treat your people equally and actually believe in your so called philosophies!

Check your brain at the door, if you work in the Ramsey office

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

They pay contract employees well.
    Very social. They like to party.

Cons

They pay full-time staff peanuts.
    The expectations for full-time staff are way, way out of line with compensation - anyone with any sense or career aspirations, looks for a better job.
    Project planning, when it existed at all, was like one of those AT&T "It's Complicated" commercials where the man is brainstorming around a small table with kids in a classroom. I really wish I was joking about this.
    It was also never clear who owned or was accountable for projects. Since there was no planning, when you had a question about scope ... the answer was always, what do you think it should do? I kid you not.
    Communication about almost anything you can imagine needs to be communicated in a work environment was very, very poor.
    The work style is just get it done, with no thought to efficiency, scalability, or how to maintain a solution in the future.
    They like to party a bit too much, esp. junior staff, e.g. a looming project deadline was surprisingly less important than happy hour.
    As a result, the work ethic is unbelievably low here. It is generally a ghost town by 5:30pm ... which is why I guess they need to hire contract employees.
    Ramsey office is in the sticks. Hard to be relevant when nowhere near an urban center.

Honestly, I saw no clear leadership on any level. It is not clear who to even address this advice to within the company. If anyone ever steps-up and takes the reins, rebuild management from scratch. If anyone is thinking of buying this company, it is a ship lost at sea, still partying though like it has just left the port. As the pool of elderly folks who are avoiding the Internet and still rely on actual travel agents dwindles, this business model will not be sustainable. Management seems oblivious to this key fact.

Unethical company, poor leadership and no clear direction

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time

Pros

Discount travel is really the only thing going for it. There are some great people in the business trying to keep it a float.

Cons

Leadership team is fragmented in approach. Culture is terrible, HR is the worst I've experienced. Behavior edges on dishonest at times.

Replace your senior Leadership team with actual leaders. Hold the company values that are supposed to be in place.

Great travel perks if you work in Product or Marketing, but not much else to offer.

Former Employee - Product Coordinator (Analyst) in Ramsey, NJ
    Former Employee - Product Coordinator (Analyst) in Ramsey, NJ

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

-If you work in Product or Marketing at HQ, great travel perks on personal time.
    -People are generally very friendly, but also very cliquey.
    That's about it for pros.

Cons

-Not much travel for anyone except Managers.
    -You won't learn much from the work- it's mostly pulling reports and using systems with not much thought.
    -You'll wait forever for a promotion or management position. Liberty and GOGO consider everything a lateral move with no pay increase. Promotions are given to those that have played the political game the best.
    -Pay is Atrocious! I was paid more during my internship in college. The same goes for every position within the company. I'm sure Managers that are "favorites" get paid more, but even they could do significantly better elsewhere.
    -Even salaried positions have to clock in and out, so pay is technically hourly. If you don't clock a full 8 hours per day, you are docked vacation time.
    -No training opportunities.
    -The only benefits are medical and dental, which cost a fortune (at least 2x as much as others I know). Discounted hotel rates for immediate family members only, but only for certain ones. No tuition reimbursement or any other perk you could think of.
    -Building is dismal and depressing to work in. Barely any windows except in the GOGO and Marketing sections.

-Offer more meaningful projects to team members, as well as learning opportunities.
    -Reward those that work the hardest.
    -Come up with a better process for decision making. It takes way too long and too many meetings to come to any decisions.

Liberty Travel Photos