Liberty Travel

Updated September 11, 2014
2.6

Liberty Travel President Emma Jupp
Emma Jupp

Pros
  • The only thing is if you have great people in your office you can develop great relationships (in 7 reviews)

• Great co-workers, used to have good travel perks (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • I would say the work life balance is the most negative factor about this company (in 6 reviews)

• It would be nice if upper management would actually read the comments and start actually listening to your people (in 8 reviews)

More Highlights

Fun Company

Current Employee - Vacation Expert  in  Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Vacation Expert in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

There are alot of pros for Liberty Travel.
    1) They treat their employees great
    2) FAM Trips. Familiarization Trips
    3) Liberty Travel is owned by Flight Centre there is alot of companies in 1
    4) Alot of the conferences revolve around drinking/partying
    5) Great Job for any age

Cons

1) You need to have a very competitive attitude to move foward
    2) I dont think the salary is competitive
    3) You have to love what you do
    4) See #4 Pro could be a Con for some people.

Extremely disappointed

I worked at Liberty Travel full-time

Pros

Glassdoor is telling me I need to enter at least five words here.

Cons

Horrible pay, no cost of living increases or merit-based raises, constant restructuring, brutally cliquish management

Liberty Travel is absolutely bleeding talent, and it baffles me that no one seems to care. People are leaving in droves because of the completely inadequate pay, the unapologetic cliques that exist among management, and the absolute lack of opportunities to grow - and the ones who are staying are actively looking for a way out.

Not as bad as these reviews make it sound

Current Employee - Travel Consultant

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for less than a year

Pros

There are some seriously petulant reviews on here, if you're considering applying then take them with a grain of salt. The effort that goes into training the employees is phenomenal. You get to work with a very small batch of co-workers (usually 5-7 tops) and I've developed great relationships with all of mine including my team leader. Most of them have been with the company for 6 or more years, lived through the "changing of the guards" when FC bought the company and they LOVE the job still. I haven't met anyone in the company that I didn't like. You're selling vacations, what's not to enjoy about that? Good benefits, fair base pay, and great travel perks. FAM time is just awesome. Buzz nights are a blast. This is a really fun company to work for. It can seriously open your doors to the world, and I mean that in an entirely literal sense and not as some cliche. If you don't already travel a lot, you will if you decide to work here.

Cons

Can be very demanding. It is WORK, after all. Your experience will vary based on which location, and frankly how you choose to carry yourself. You stay busy, there's a lot of multitasking which can be frustrating especially when you're juggling phone leads, web inquiries and walk-ins, but if you don't genuinely love selling travel, then don't apply. Seriously, it's not for someone who decides on a whim to work here. You'll be in for a rude awakening and then end up on here whining about how unfair the world is to you.

Corporate does seem a little secretive, some decisions are made and hastily implemented. Not bad for the most part though.

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

A great Company and a culture where you get to be a real dream maker!!

Current Employee - Area Leader  in  Ramsey, NJ
    Current Employee - Area Leader in Ramsey, NJ

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Liberty Travel is a great company to work for with a long history over 60 years running and a strong people focused culture. As part of Flight Centre the company is part of one of the largest travel related services companies in the world and therefore presents unique global opportunities to its team members to work in many different businesses and countries. What first attracted me to the company was the fact that many of its team members have been with the company for over ten to fifteen years and love working here, and the company considers its team its number one priority. The Company is also very diverse and gladly welcomes all!! This was very important as I was looking for a long term career not just a job. You must come to this company READY TO WORK, and work VERY hard with long hours in order to succeed. This is a sales career unlike most retail sales jobs in that you are not just selling vacations, you are creating lifelong memories for your clients and making dreams come true! You must come with patience. You will be responsible for building your own business and your success will depend on your ability to serve and satisfy your clients so that they will want to return and refer their family and friends to you...this is THE KEY to success. You must be ready to work towards specific sales targets and be ready to go the extra mile to achieve them. If you love sales, have a true passion for travel and have the patience to build your business you WILL be VERY successful here. The Company is 100% committed to promoting from within and if you dedicate yourself to your career and work hard, unlike many companies that overlook their talent, at Liberty your achievements will be rewarded. Whether your desire is to be a top sales person, leadership, or work abroad your hard work is recognized and celebrated. I have been with the company now over two years and in that time because of my hard work and achievements and a desire to move into leadership I have been promoted from Consultant to multiple leadership positions and it has been an amazing journey. At Liberty as long as you work hard and have a passion to succeed and approach your job with a genuine noble purpose there will always be another challenge and opportunity for you.

Cons

Again you will have to work hard and have patience when first joining the company. You cannot join the team thinking you will be rich quick! It will take time to build your business but the salary and bonus structure is generous and if you work hard and put the time in you will be well taken care of and can enjoy a long career here. One of the constants of the Company is Change and new strategies are implemented often so you will need to be adaptable. While some may see this as a con the changes are for the better and each year the Company improves and remains profitable because of them....which translates into greater opportunity for personal success!

Dream Job.. Sends me around the world.

Current Employee - Team Leader  in  New York, NY
    Current Employee - Team Leader in New York, NY

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Making dreams come true! Everyday I get to make travel dreams come true for my clients. I get to travel the world with familiarization trips, Global awards and conferences. I can make an uncapped amount of commission. Liberty Travel allows you to grow within the company quickly to areas of management, finance and product. The opportunities are endless and could even lead you to another office half way around the world!

Cons

This job allows you to make whatever you want (actually a pro!)- but if you are not willing to work hard and you don't have a passion for travel and sales, then your paycheck does suffer. Salary is low, but the commission has no maximum, so hard work pays off.
    We are open on weekends, but you only have to work one day and sometimes every other weekend though, so yes, this is a very retail environment that won't be your typical 9-5.

America's Vacation Experts!

I have been working at Liberty Travel

Pros

Liberty Travel is good company to work for. They are true to their Vision, Purpose and Philosophies. If you are looking for a career with a continually growing company, this is the place. There are many growth opportunities within the US and Internationally. You are in control of your paycheck without a limit on the commission you can earn! Traveling is also a great perk!

Cons

Most retail locations are open 7 days a week, so if you are looking for a 9-5 job, this may not be for you.

A high performance culture which rewards high performers

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Great global career opportunities.
    Customer focused.
    You get to take responsibility for your own results.
    A company which celebrates individual and team success.
    A dream job where you get to see the world.

Cons

Not for the those looking for a 9-5 job.
    Not for those who can't take a challenge.

Love helping to deliver people's dreams!

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than a year

Pros

Liberty Travel is a very different culture to most other places and you get people from all walks of life, but the one thing that seems to bind us all is the love of travel and the desire to help others to realize their travel dreams.

Cons

This is a sales based role so if you are not sellling, you wont be earning the commission on top of your base. There is also so much to learn (and keep learning!) in order to best service your clients!

Practice what you preach!

I have been working at Liberty Travel full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Good opportunities / large company. Some limited travel perks, yearly USA and Global ball.
    Some great people on the selling teams.

Cons

The biggest problem with Liberty Travel is the executive leadership and where it is headed. There is a complete lack of trust and most of the company works in fear. While it is a sales job and quotas do need to be hit, these is always this culture that at any time, for any reason, even without prior notice, you can and will be let go. While Liberty is an "at will" company, they really take it to an extreme.

The President, Emma Jupp, works with a hidden agenda.
    She also seems disorganized in her presentations and thoughts and ultimately has promoted the wrong people (With the exception of a few) to lead the company. You rarely ever hear from her and if you do, it's a short email about "have a great month end" with the same silly picture attached. Honestly, she is over her head and probably will not last much further as President.

This company is a classic case of saying one thing and doing another, something else that kills trust. The "Area Leaders" run the gambit from good to bad, some intimidate and use fear as their motivation and the team seems fragmented at best. in Liberty sales hides all sins and if you produce, ethically or not, you're safe... Well, for the most part.

Practice what you preach... There are 10 company philosophies about people, responsibility, family, village, and tribe, being equal, and so forth. It is clear that people really do not matter here and profit (another philosophy) is King.

it

I have been working at Liberty Travel

Pros

it is a cool job you learn a lot working here and a diverse company

Cons

have to work hard for very little

very organized

Worked for Liberty Travel? Contribute to the Community!