Lidl

Updated Jul 14, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Dieter Schwarz

Very good place to work, nice employers.

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Lappeenranta (Finland)

Prosworkmates, salary, caring and friendly supervisors

ConsHard to advance in bigger positions and hard to gett full time contract

Advice to Senior Managementif you are leading you can still do your job, everyday we give our 110% so sometimes it will be nice to hear *Thank You'

First impressions = bad impressions

Sales Assistant (Current Employee) Wexford (Ireland)

ProsThe hourly wage is good.

ConsJust started working here a few weeks ago. I dread everyday going in. You never finish in time yet you are nearly expected to start work 15 mins before your time and not get paid for it. You are nearly expected to be on call 24/7. Hours are always changing. Currently looking for other work right.now just couldn't work in this environment. Never properly trained but expected to know everything, it's just so unprofessional.

Advice to Senior ManagementBetter train your new employees and having your manager make a show of you in front of customers for absolutely no reason is disgraceful and very embarrassing. Very unhappy in this store, hopefully can hand my notice in soon. I won't be recommending anyone to apply for work here...!!

Work hard get rewarded

Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

ProsWork hard get rewarded, promotion.

ConsHard, long hours, no social life

Advice to Senior ManagementRelax

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Treated like a robot, worked till you're on the scrap heap!

Store Assistant (Current Employee)

ProsFairly good rates of pay

ConsExpected to work like a machine all day everyday.
    The harder you work, the more they expect from you.
    14.5 hour shifts are not uncommon.
    No bonus or overtime rates for bank holidays or even night shifts.
    Rotas often changed without notice.
    Often called in on your days off.
    Always short staffed.
    No staff discount scheme.
    Very unorganised management system from head office, resulting in no common sense in the way they do things.
    Unrealistic work targets - 6ft high euro pallet of stock is expected to be worked in 20 minutes!
    New starters are just stuck on till and given very little training.
    Company has no regard for the working time regulation laws.
    Very poor work/social life balance, leading to bad health/depression/stress

Advice to Senior ManagementStop treating your employees like robots and start treating them like human beings!
    Stop being greedy with profits and allow stores to use more hours so they can have more staff on to handle the work load

Its a good company

Assistant (Current Employee) Copenhagen (Denmark)

Prosgood salary, flexible, rewarding, growing

Consreally hard work is required

You sell your soul to the devil

Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee)

ProsThe company is trying to change the company culture, and changes seem to be very positive, but unfortunately it does not reach store level just yet. Stores are still "old school", no positive reinforcements, no recognition, no respect, only pushing, bullying and giving out. Never enough hours given for certain jobs, whoever is in the shop in under constant pressure. Safety in stores is also a huge problem.

ConsNew core values, the company seems to try make things better.
    Management working hours under control, no 60 hours per week any more.
    Money is good, if you don't do overtime, because overtime is not paid.

Advice to Senior ManagementMake sure your core values reach every level in organisation.
    More respect for shop workers, at the end of the day they are the ones generating the income.

Recently the company has improved massively in terms of the operational domain and to better employees work environment.

Deputy Store Manager (Current Employee) London, England (UK)

ProsHas taken great steps to improve working environment by reducing management working hours and introducing pension scheme.

ConsThe salary cap is a major disappointment and even though the company is growing. promotional opportunities has diminished at store level.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppraisal to be performed based on KPI targets and size and turnover of store which should match salaries.

Tough,but fair

ProsGreat salary and progression opportunities

ConsLong hours and sometimes difficult work culture

Stressful, no Team-Spirit

Ladenpackhilfe (Former Employee) Mannheim (Germany)

ProsThe payment which you receive at Lidl, especially as student, is quite good. In Germany you receive 11.44 Euro as shelf-stacker.

ConsLidl is pretty inflexible when it comes to working hours
    Management (especially in Stores) is very bad at settlement of arguments
    Time pressure
    No Team-Spirit

Interesting, varied, friendly

Store Assistant (Former Employee) Bournemouth, England (UK)

ProsFlexible working arrangement, friendly colleagues, fantastic boss that always accommodated requests for time off.

ConsDifficult to move up the career ladder as regional managers are often taken as university graduates with no prior experience.

Worked for Lidl? Contribute to the Community!