Lidl Reviews

99 reviews filtered by
3.8
Lidl Chairman and CEO Dieter Schwarz
Dieter Schwarz

Pros
  • organized structure, strict rules, good salary (in 5 reviews)

• good pay, good local management (if you are lucky) (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • very long hours at time with no thanks (in 6 reviews)

• Hard, long hours, no social life (in 3 reviews)

1. Learned a lot. Extremely hard work.

I have been working at Lidl

Pros

Amount of managing skills you learn. Nice company car.

Cons

Extremely long hours, always worked on weekends.

Advice to Management

Better work conditions would make people want to stay.

2. Simple job; flexible hours, always busy.

Current Employee - Store Assistant
    Current Employee - Store Assistant

I have been working at Lidl part-time (More than a year)

Pros

An easy job to do; consistently busy, even if the store is not filled with customers. Good job for a student; opportunity to work above contracted hours, at half term and in the summer.

Cons

Occasionally strenuous; no specific job role, don't expect to just sit on a till.

Advice to Management

N/A Good management

3. Store Manager

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona (Italy)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Verona (Italy)

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Well paid job, with good chances of progression to higher roles.
    Since the company is well spreaded on the territory the commuting time is acceptable pretty much everywhere.

Cons

The life-work balance is really poor, asking you being completely dedicated to your job.
    Since a lot of people progress towards higher roles even if they don't have a managerial background or preparation, making the work environment sometimes unacceptable.

Advice to Management

Focusing more on people training and lower levels employees feedbacks it would be a good start.
    Adjusting work shifts accordingly to people necessities.

5. Warehouse operative

Current Employee - Warehouse Operative in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Warehouse Operative in Weston-super-Mare, England (UK)

I have been working at Lidl

Pros

Good rates of pay, Free car park

Cons

Over worked, Bad management No overtime rates

Advice to Management

Its not a boys club!! Get off your high horses, Speak to people properly

6. A bad work XP...

I worked at Lidl

Pros

there is no advantages working there

Cons

pressure, bad managers, low salary...

7. Though the company is growing and thriving, internally it is archaic and shambolic

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I worked at Lidl full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

A newly introduced staff discount card. Great salary and bonuses. If looking at a head office job then expect to work in a friendly and welcoming environment. Decent amount of annual leave starting at 28 days inc of bank holidays.

Cons

Expectations of workloads are unrealistic, no room for growth unless joining the graduate scheme. Micromanagement stifles opportunities to achieve or gain recognition for work. Long working hours at all levels and its frowned upon to be seen leaving on time. Many big decisions affecting workloads are made in and kept secret, creating a disengaged and unhappy workforce. You're expected to work bank holidays unless you pre-book them off in advance. They have one rule fits all policy, which doesn't cater for staff with children or other personal factors.

Feeling exploited and hugely violated

I have been working at Lidl

Pros

Salary not much else I'm afraid

Cons

No breaks. Unachievable targets and constant bullying by senior management.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like they make a difference and THEY WILL!

9. Retail Management Degree Programme (trainee manager)

Current Employee - Trainee Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Trainee Manager in Dublin, Dublin (Ireland)

I have been working at Lidl full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The pros I personally feel outweigh the cons: Thus why I am still with the company. In this particular programme they pay for you to attend college for 3 month blocks and then work in store as a trainee manager for the next 3 months. It is a continuous cycle for 3 years. The experience is invaluable. If you can hack working in Lidl, you can work anywhere. You also learn very quickly how to work as efficiently and smartly as possible. The opportunities for promotion are immense if you are liked by you managers. A lot of these pros are store dependent but if you swim rather than sink the opportunity to learn analytical skills, time management, people management etc that you can take on with you to the next level of your career are second to none. There is a great sense of satisfaction in doing a good days work and they are implementing new tactics to improve employee relations all the time. I love my job and the people I work with. I have earned my place in the company and I am fortunate that Lidl have recognised my hard work and aspirations. But it is worth noting that I am in my early 20s, I am single and I do not have children or family commitments. This job suits me and my personality very well and I think that is worth noting when you are considering working for Lidl. It is a company for a certain type of person who is in a certain stage of their life. Particularly with operations I could not imagine having outside commitments. This is the best retailer in the Irish market to gain experience in. My cons section is very long but I wanted to give the most honest and fair appraisal of Lidl to anyone considering applying for this programme as when I applied myself a few years ago I found the information on other online forums very extreme or very vague. There was a lot of myths and legends about Lidl as well as Lidl's own company spin on things. Again, I love my job. I am staying with the company and working there gives me great satisfaction and rewards. Working for Lidl has made me very employable and a very strong candidate in a competitive labour market.

Cons

The work is physically and mentally difficult. The hours are long and often you feel obliged to work off the clock to hit your productivity targets. It would be unusual for a manager NOT to work a 60+ week. It would probably be viewed as laziness by our peers not to do so. There is an elephant in the room about this in regard to senior management. They know we do this but they are purposely oblivious to the fact once targets are met and there's no trouble. Although vastly improved from when I first started there, the culture can be toxic and intimidating if you are not on the right side of the right people on the right day. This is continuing to improve however. The training can be very hit and miss. I have been through months of zero training and no movement. I have also had the best 6 months of training in my career to date recently. This is store dependent. You can have an excellent manager in one store and a poor one in another. Unfortunately this is the luck of the draw. However you do tend to move stores every few months so this can be positive or negative depending on how you look at it. The college aspect can be a bit of a joke at times. If you treat people like primary school students they will act like it. To improve their harsh image they have hired some 'soft' people who do not suit working for Lidl. Most of these people have ended up getting the sack which makes the whole course very tense and sometimes makes me view it as a poorly thought out joke. This is in stark contrast to what is expected of you when you go to your work block. The college is a good reputable institution however. This course and Lidl in general is not suited to a 'soft' type of person. They would sooner hire someone who will work to the bone for 13 hours a day and hit all their targets but is an absolute psychopath than someone who is great with the staff and fair with working hours but may not have quite the same results. It suits very straight-edged, driven and ambitious people who have the graft to back it up. Confidence is also a must. There is no time to find your feet no matter how good you could potentially be at the job. You will be buried alive. At times, the staff in head office can treat you with extreme contempt and vice versa. The pay for this programme is poor due to the fact that they are paying for you to attend college. You get paid 16k in the first years and 2k up every year after that. You also receive basic health insurance. Lidl in general pay well however. When I finished the programme I moved up to a very respectable salary as a deputy store manager and I will be moving up to the store manager position soon. To truly be successful and liked you can forget about a social life. You must live and breathe Lidl.

Advice to Management

Store Managers and staff need to be treated with less contempt and considered as the front line of your business. The better you treat them the more you will get out of them. Keep pushing with Great Place to Work and other HR initiatives. Reconsider the RMD programme slightly. Do not treat them like idiots but stop hiring people who you know do not suit the company. You are doing no favours to us as an organisation or to the individual themselves. The RMDP students should not be trained with the objective of a half functioning deputy after 3 years. The objective should be to be a fully functioning and capable Store Manager. It is not that difficult to realise this. The expectation and goal needs to be reset and refocused slightly. Communication and consistency is poor within the company as a whole. What happens to one of your RMDP students should be the same for another. The Work Based Learning module in college is also a farce. It is a non subject. Figure out what the learning objectives should be and just do it. Dribs and drabs of repeated material is wasting everyone's time and the organisation's money. Continue and refine the OBOM however. I found it to be an excellent training session in parts.

Good compensation. Terrible work/life balance

Former Employee - District Manager in Faro (Portugal)
    Former Employee - District Manager in Faro (Portugal)

I worked at Lidl

Pros

Compensation and car use. The nature of the job is challenging and building your own teams is exciting.

Cons

Terrible work/life balance. 80 hour weeks are considered good weeks. No positive reinforcement whatsoever. Micro management is the norm.

Advice to Management

Company stated values do not match the day to day operations and the way people manage. Most of the top management does not even understand what the stated values represent in real action and attitudes.

11. I have found that in the 6 years i have worked for the company i have mixed feelings about the company

Current Contractor - Duty Manager
    Current Contractor - Duty Manager

I have been working at Lidl as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good job prospects and pay. Fast paced working environment. Friendly staff. Good pay for job role. Each day is different to the previous.

Cons

No constant working hours so rotas and hours differ each week. Rotas can change without prior warning or agreement from yourself. You are expected to be fully flexible but sometimes does not feel like you can approach management to request a day or some time off.

Advice to Management

More appraisals through out the year to keep employees fully up to date on their progress

Lidl Photos

Photo thanks to Flickr.com user Alan Connor. Some Rights Reserved.

+ Add Photo