Lidl Reviews

Updated March 27, 2015
89 reviews filtered by

1. I was told that they have a lot of problems getting talents, especially IT in Germany, due to poor working conditions.

Former Employee - Project Manager Administration
    Former Employee - Project Manager Administration

I worked at Lidl full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

international footprint, solid salary, good co-workers

Cons

Organisational climate is very bad (in Croatia at least, but heard it's the same elsewhere), people are intimidated by their superiors, they work very long hours and lots of them get sick.

Get some young people on board and respect your workers

2. Unreasonable

I have been working at Lidl

Pros

Every branch I have dealt with have employed staff that have great sense of humor. Its one of the key characteristics they look for when employing.
    Easy to grow within the company
    Hard work and hard workers are recognized.
    Better salary than most grocery stores

Cons

Too much is expected in the time given. Speed is priority and not quality. Rules are created that assistant managers and managers are themselves unable to live up to. Managers don't work full hours and hand over their tasks to assistant managers who then hand it over to the rest to finish over their regular tasks within the same amount of time.
    I have been given several tasks with out training. And when I asked for help they make excuses for not training. And when I am not able to perform those tasks to a standard of one who had been working their for years(I was working their for only a month), then I am the butt of everyone's jokes. A family member died and I was not allowed to in home because the 'big guys' were coming to visit. I had diarrhoea and was not allowed to go home. I landed in hospital because of a blood blog in the brain and stress and I was accused of pretending even though the hospital gave the papers of proof.
    Even though it is a grocery store they will not supply coffee for their staff. Manager had provided coffee when I started and the 'big guys' threw it into the trash because they don't want to pay for it.
    There are never enough staff.
    There are so much more to say but I think this gives a pretty good idea.

Try doing the same things that you ask of your employees and then adjust the requirements to a reasonable and realistic standard. Happy workers are better workers and will be more willing to do more for the team when it is needed.

3. Great benefits, stressful job ...

I have been working at Lidl

Pros

The company is going through a lot of changes to alter it's image and evolve. The actions they are taking put them in the right direction.

Cons

Everything is based on productivity. The employees are stretched until their breaking point. They are changing their image but still run on their hard discount practices.

A few compliments never hurt anyone.

5. Outstanding organisation

Current Employee - District Manager
    Current Employee - District Manager

I have been working at Lidl full-time

Pros

Great pay, good management, progressive and forward thinking company. Going places and listens to the staff. A fun and challenging place to work if you are prepared to put in the effort.

Cons

Not for lazy people (personally I think that's a pro... just not for the lazy)

Keep up the good work

6. Been a deputy store manager for six weeks

Current Employee - Deputy Store Manager
    Current Employee - Deputy Store Manager

I have been working at Lidl full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Was attracted from another retail job by the management position, salary and prospects. Salary, what you actually get paid every month, is good.

Cons

Actual pay per hour if you ever have the guts to work it out is abysmal. Was told all the right things at interview and induction by the people who don't work in store. Mandatory breaks, take your time back the next day, 11 hour break between shifts. All bull when you actually get in store when your store manager gives you no sympathy because "I used to work 7am to 10pm every day mate..!"

Taking this job was one of my worst decisions as I now feel depressed all the time.

Get real.

7. German system, overdemanding, countrys treated like slaves

I worked at Lidl full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

good pay, good local management (if you are lucky)

Cons

Rules of the company MUST be regarded in every country, regardless of the laws. More the pitty that the rules are written by people with no experience (outside) of Lidl, processes are 10 years overdated and down right antique, all support only one: total control of employees.. Workdays run normaly between 10-12 hour days leadership style is in practice different than on paper (worse), hierarchy rules.

8. Terrible company!!

Current Contractor - General Assistant in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - General Assistant in London, England (UK)

I have been working at Lidl as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

Decent wage, providing the hours are there.

Cons

Signed a 30 hour contact and got told that they are the minimum hours I would get. Two months down the line i have never done that, only have been given 16-23 hours per week.
    I have not been trained, got thrown in at the deep end. Got told to do jobs i have not been shown how to do and got pulled up for doing it wrong?!
    Too much work for the amount of time given.
    The place is not organised, even customers moan about no prices being shown. Shop floor untidy.
    Some management are lazy and give out tasks to store assistants because they cant be bothered to do it.
    Procedures are crazy, nothing makes sense.
    Breaks are not always given and are too short. Half hour for a 10/12 hour shift?!
    Also, they pay is never right, I have been underpaid. How can there be such a thing as undertime? it doesnt make sense. I have been given a contract, therefore should get paid for it no matter what. If i dont do the hours of the contract then that is illegal. Why employ someone and give them a contract knowing that the hours are not there?!

Treat staff like they are human beings,
    Pay them properly!
    Sort out the hours and contracts. Do not promise someone who has bills to pay and keep a roof over there head that they will get their contract and then not give it!

9. 9 years with company

Current Employee - Anchor in Enniscorthy (Ireland)
    Current Employee - Anchor in Enniscorthy (Ireland)

I have been working at Lidl full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

If you are looking for progresing in the company, you are in right place. The working environment is great.

Cons

You have to dea with the shoplifters with no protection.

A surprisingly blatant disregard for UK employment law, an abuse of human rights.

Current Employee - General Assistant
    Current Employee - General Assistant

I have been working at Lidl full-time (more than a year)

Pros

Supposedly good pay (easier ways to make more money however)

Cons

Told anything at interview to get you in, most of which are false promises. Expected to work (6 hours plus) without taking breaks entitled to by law, expected to sign out and work for free, called in on days off, called in early, expected to stay on 1,2,3 even four hours after end of shift ON A DAILY BASIS, painfully understaffed, hugely unrealistic and unreachable targets, never allowed to go home ill, EXPECTED TO WORK WITH SICKNESS AND DIARRHEA DESPITE HANDLING FOOD ALL DAY, absolutely no concern for staff well being. Spoken to like a piece of dirt by people (esp reg manager) on 6 times the salary you're on. Back braking work for no appreciation what so ever. Constant threat of disciplinarys for honest minor mistakes. No hope of progression due to lack of staff to manage in the first place. Very greedy conniving company out to exploit and hoard the profits made by such exploitation (prices low due to 'efficient' staff numbers, i.e forcing individuals to do the work of 3 people until they have a breakdown/ become institutionalized/ ect. I'd rather work at Auschwitz, at least there you had death to look forward to...

Learn how to motivate people, treat staff like human beings and not numbers, OBEY THE LAW, feel thoroughly ashamed of what you allow to happen to people trying to make a living..

11. First great working experience in big company

Current Employee - IS Administrator in Prague (Czech Republic)
    Current Employee - IS Administrator in Prague (Czech Republic)

I have been working at Lidl part-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

organized structure, strict rules, good salary

Cons

they teach you everything about the major you work in, give a lot of chances to prove yourself

Lidl Photos

Photo thanks to Flickr.com user Alan Connor. Some Rights Reserved.

+ Add Photo