Lieberman Research Worldwide

Updated September 6, 2014
3.5

Lieberman Research Worldwide President and CEO Dave Sackman
Dave Sackman

Pros
  • Smart people, some interesting projects (in 9 reviews)

• some great people lots of top quality researchers (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • You can get away with having your developers work long hours to meet these deadlines once (in 16 reviews)

• Speaking of work life balance, it can often devolve into a work-work balance (in 7 reviews)

More Highlights

Lieberman Research Worldwide

Current Employee - Research Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time for more than a year

Pros

Learn a lot, great people, lots of opportunity, lots of reviews and raises

Cons

Work life balance is not good

Reduce turnover by updating structure to provide a good work life balance

Great first or last job

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

Get to work with smart people and interesting projects. Great training, fun social events.

Cons

Great for new grads getting their foot in the door and Sr. Managers seem well taken care of (maybe too well). Motivation to move and stay in middle management is questionable though.

Great for college graduates - Horrible for Experienced Professionals

Former Employee - Research Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Director in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time for less than a year

Pros

Excellent hands-on learning for college graduates (undergraduate and graduate) from multiple disciplines

Cons

Inability to orient and on-board season leaders
    Egocentric culture resistant to new ideas

Walk the talk
    Ask questions, listen and coach experienced hires

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Just Awful

Former Employee - Research Associate  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Research Associate in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

Some of the people here are very team-oriented and are willing to collaborate on projects. The office meetings are also somewhat well-organized. The office itself is aesthetically pleasing and even the cubes are somewhat spacious.

Cons

There is little to no training available here for Research Associates ("RAs"). The training was basically non-existent during my time here. The management here makes it more than obvious that they simply don't care about the career development of their Research Associates. Management is distant, unreachable, and out-of-touch. There's basically a de facto caste system in place and you're basically only going to interact with your direct supervisor and other folks who have your job title. The feedback you receive from management will also be non-existent. Expect to be completely out-of-the-loop, even on decisions that directly impact you or your position. To say that you're invisible here is an understatement.

Please just go out of business soon.

Wildly inconsistent experience and deliverables

Current Employee - Research Director  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Director in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Great place to learn research. Smart people, some interesting projects.

Cons

Quality of experience both as an employee and as a client is wildly inconsistent. Some Business Units do great work and others are simply embarrassing. Management philosophy is to say anything to get a sale, even if you don't know if the company can deliver (or worse, knows it cannot deliver). Junior employees are treated as disposable pieceworkers.

Try to deliver up to consistent standards. Figure out how to drive a higher level of consistency. Clients often feel like they've suffered from bait and switch. Get some kind of quality control over fieldwork - amateurish mistakes that lead to poor data quality are inexcusable, especially in a firm that claims a premium positioning in the space.

Great opportunities, mixed review on management and priorities

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time

Pros

Very smart employees and many opportunities exist if you want to take it on.

Cons

Long hours and junior staff can be treated like a factory at times.

Nice location, interesting work, but a bit cliquey at times.

Former Employee - Senior Software Developer  in  Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Developer in Century City, CA

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Very social culture, mostly due to the young age of many of the researchers in the company. There was some smart people while I working there, in senior researcher and software development positions, who were a pleasure to work with from an academic standpoint. I learned a lot about market research and statistical analysis. .NET development all the way, great for those who enjoy the ecosystem it offers.

Cons

Researchers work extremely long hours, either for bonuses or for post-college experience. Executives thought this same mindset applies to software developer culture and a 50 hour working week was an expected norm (i.e. projects should be managed with those number of hours in mind). Not very good at growing talent from within, prefers to bring in managers and executives no matter how often that tack doesn't work. People can

You do well growing talent within your researchers, try to do the same in your IT team. Don't keep it small just because it's cheap, if you grow your team you will also grow your IT offerings.

Great place to learn Market Research and critical thinking

Current Employee - Research Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Research Manager in Los Angeles, CA

Pros

HUGE opportunity for growth, great culture, relaxed enviornment, amazing people.

Cons

Not many! sometimes the hours can get rough but you are never working alone.

Keep giving people opportunities to show what they can do! Bring back yoga in the office!

Soul Killing, NO respect or appreciation, Bad pay

Former Employee - Graphics Specialist  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Graphics Specialist in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Your co-workers will be very smart with strong work-ethics. Not a common experience from my work experience. so...there's that. And it's a huge Pro, imho.

Cons

Low pay. LONG hours. TIGHT turnaround. The company expected me to work 7am-3pm without a break- no time avail even to run to the bathroom. I then got home and was expected to log onto the remote server to be avail to work 5pm-midnight. I worked every weekend. Every holiday. I begged for help to alleviate the crushing workload - response was a groan and shaking of heads. When a family member was dying and I asked to work from home (he was not eating full meals, so he needed someone home to feed him every hour or else he starved), I was met with resistance. After the family member died, I was told I was NEARLY FIRED for "making something else more important than LRW" Keep in mind, I was working in a job that had NO potential for promotions, etc. And the CEO announced we would no longer get annual bonuses "because the company needs to tighten purse strings a bit" After I quit, I learned the mangers, field managers, etc continued to get bonuses as high as $10k/year (our bonuses were typically $500/yr). The CEO also asked a co-worker of mine if she thought his daughter would like a jaguar for her 16th birthday. This while telling us graphic specialists the company could not afford to pay living wage to us and could not afford to continue giving us our annual $500 bonuses. But they still demanded we work 70-80hrs/week at intense speed.

no point. They won't listen nor do they care. The BEST choice I've ever made in my life was quitting.

Good learning experience, but not for everyone

Current Employee - Senior Research Manager  in  Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Research Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Lieberman Research Worldwide full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

I started at LRW fresh out of undergrad and it was a good learning experience. You learn a lot about market research and get to work with others who are pretty young and smart. People help each other on projects and it's generally a pleasure working with them. You also get to work on some high-impact projects, as well as some high-profile clients (though this depends on the business unit you're in).

Casual dress everyday and located in a great area.

If you're detail oriented, relatively smart, and work well with others, they are good about rewarding you (in terms of promotions/raises).

Cons

Hours can be long. Experiences and expectations differ (sometimes drastically) between business units.

The type of work here isn't for everyone - a lot of it can be really monotonous, QA work, especially for the junior level people. It gets a little better as you get more experienced, but after a few years, it feels like employees get stuck in a rut - where they feel like they are doing the same tasks over and over (at least, that's my experience currently). Most people get burnt out after a few years and go work on the client side, where the hours are shorter and the work a little less demanding.

Try to show that you value your junior people more often. I think a lot of RAs and RMs feel like they get lost in the shuffle.

Worked for Lieberman Research Worldwide? Contribute to the Community!