Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe

Heidi Feinstein

Inspirational

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee  in  Cambridge, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Cambridge, MA

I have been working at Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe full-time for less than a year

Pros

The management at Life Alive are extremely committed to their mission. They take food quality, service and staff engagement very seriously. A day does not go by when the leadership isn't trying to figure out a way to make the company better for the community, customers and team members.

Cons

Life Alive is growing and is dealing with the natural challenges of growth.

Keep doing what your doing! Feed the world...

Well put: "two-faced"

I worked at Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe part-time for more than a year

Pros

-The food is good/ those who work 6 hours get a free shift meal
    -Coworkers are generally fun, creative, interesting people
    -Good pay (average $10/hour) plus $50-$90/wk in tips

Cons

The previous employee's review was very accurate. There is "room for growth", but not for everybody. People are turned over every week, there is a lot of stress and nastiness in the workplace but it is kept "under the table".

The job is very stressful, demanding, and overtime is not honored.

I have seen people fired on the spot after a few hours of partial training.

More direct honesty, better training, clearer growth pathways, more benefits for full timers.

Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe Response

Aug 16, 2013Director, HR

We are grateful for this feedback and have taken this advice to heart, and action, by doubling training efforts for all new hires; offering affordable health insurance for all eligible team members ... More

Two-faced.

I worked at Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe

Pros

You work with amazing people. You experience incredible organic food--a free bowl with every shift you have. There's an ambiance and pleasantness that emanates all around. There is beautiful art and lots of living plants. The hours and pay are amazing. Coworkers treat you like family and the message is all about loving oneself and one's neighbor and treating your body like a temple.

Cons

Unfortunately, in the end, it is a business. The crunchy-granola happiness they put forth is a front to cover up the fact that they only care about expanding at the moment. Employees are expendable and management does not communicate their displeasure with employees until the last possible minute. There is no room for growth because they tend to cut people down at the roots. They don't have room or time for people to establish themselves. They have no qualms about letting people go--even if they are passionate about the message Life Alive puts forth. There is a sense of condescension and detachment from certain managers and trainers. Very unprofessional, two-faced behavior.

Tell people ahead of time if they aren't meeting your standards and give them a chance to truly try. Don't be two-faced when it comes to preaching about love, peace, and acceptance while you're simultaneously trying to make a profit and nothing else.

Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe Response

Aug 16, 2013Director, HR

We cannot deny that we experienced growing pains during the time that this team member was with us and we appreciate the candid feedback.

We are unwaveringly committed to serving our team members
    ... More

4. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

fun place to work

Former Employee - Drink Guru
    Former Employee - Drink Guru

I worked at Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe

Pros

Fast paced environment, discounted amazing food, friendly coworkers, times goes by quickly, really friendly work culture. Always, always a line out the door.

Cons

Shifts can be exhausting and physically taxing.

Worked for Life Alive Urban Oasis & Organic Cafe? Contribute to the Community!