Life Care Centers

Updated December 14, 2014
2.8

Life Care Centers Founder & Chairman Forrest Preston
Forrest Preston

Pros
  • Good pay, good benefits, lots of opportunities to learn (in 4 reviews)

• Most work together as a team and care about the residents (in 16 reviews)

Cons
  • Employees from upper management to facility staff are treated very poorly (in 6 reviews)

• You have to work a full year before earning a day of your vacation time (in 5 reviews)

More Highlights

Physical therapist

Current Employee - Physical Therapist
    Current Employee - Physical Therapist

I have been working at Life Care Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good pay, two weeks of paid sick time

Cons

Poor administrative support with constantly fluctuating views on what they want.

Think about your ideas before you decide to implement them and then do a complete reversal of what you desire 6-9 months later.

Great place to work.

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

I worked at Life Care Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Not micro managed by corporate.
    Family atmosphere
    Compassionate

Cons

Salary and benefits are not comparable to other LTC facilities that are local

Improve salary and benefits package

Company has good corporate culture, unfortunately division leadership is self promoting and demonstrate weak leadership.

Former Employee - Executive Director in Phoenix, AZ
    Former Employee - Executive Director in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Life Care Centers

Pros

Good systems, excellent corporate support, good corporate culture from the top down. They like to develop new leaders. Annual management meetings are excellent team/corporate culture building exercises, corporate leadership gives 100%. Annual bonus program reachable, health insurance is good and standard for expected level of coverage for a family at a reasonable cost.

Cons

Politics, self promotion by division employees, facility level staff encouraged to create/innovate but in actuality it is efficiency over effectiveness in providing care for residents and developing people. Expectations are above human capacity for buildings which have been neglected for years. Ineffective management styles favor cost cutting over proper/realistic budgeting.

LCCA has not figured out how to keep good talent. Turnover of executive Directors and DON's too high for what this company stands for. Division mentality is very supportive but there is also a spy-like tattle tale mentality where minute errors are magnified into volcanoes. The level of trust is low between division leadership and ED level. Division level management has put short term profits over quality product resulting in outdated, run down properties. Unrealistic expectations are placed on ED's, Plant operations and budgets to meet care and hospitality expectations. LCCA went from owning the best facilities to run down facilities in 10-15 years. LCCA will make a come back as division level support understand and embrace servant leadership. It takes more than a year to rebuild trust in staff and the community and turning over the DON and ED every year or so continue to erode trust in the professional community.

Corporate

Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Cleveland, TN
    Current Employee - Corporate Employee in Cleveland, TN

I have been working at Life Care Centers (more than an year)

Pros

Great atmosphere! Clear management and employees are very workable with

Cons

Conflicting communication...mixed signals/messages are given sometimes. This leads to confusion

Keep on keeping on

Negative Motivation

Current Employee - Physical Therapy in Portland, OR
    Current Employee - Physical Therapy in Portland, OR

I have been working at Life Care Centers

Pros

People I work with are great and gym equipment and atmosphere are good.

Cons

- High push to make productivity levels that push you to compromise your ethics
    - Require you to take training and breaks and then penalize you by taking those times because they are counted against your productivity times.
    - Only 1 personal day of vacation on 1st year - 2 weeks after that.
    - Must maintain 30+ hours per week to maintain benefits however your boss controlling your schedule to make sure there is no overtime, census levels and you making sure you meet 80% productivity can make that difficult or out of your control.
    - Very high negative motivation and little to none positive motivation styles to management (make productivity or lose job, must take two 15 min breaks and that has to be added into non-billable productivity time, go to required code of ethics or fire training, but it will be added to non productivity time, etc)

Listen to your employees
    Treat them well and they'll serve you well
    If you're in the black and making customer service outstanding scores, perhaps it doesn't need fixing

Nice place to work.

Current Employee - CNA
    Current Employee - CNA

I have been working at Life Care Centers

Pros

Most of the workers was a pleasure to work with. The work load was fair. The company kept a nice smell throughout the building.

Cons

The pay is too low and I hate the fact that I had to travel over an hour to get there and full-time employees got 75 hour work week instead of 80 hour work week.

Increase the pay for CNAs

Marketing & Admissions

Former Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN
    Former Employee - Anonymous in Nashville, TN

I worked at Life Care Centers full-time (more than an year)

Pros

Co-workers and patients were the reason I worked there as long as I did.

Cons

Top heavy company. Multiple bosses telling you different things. Always needing reports but doesn't want you in office working on them. Profit oriented, not care oriented.

Cut some corporate positions and spread that money among buildings to actually help the patients.

Happy, happy therapist

Current Employee - OTR/Assistant DOR in Corpus Christi, TX
    Current Employee - OTR/Assistant DOR in Corpus Christi, TX

I have been working at Life Care Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible schedule is great. Our Director of Rehab supports the staff and she makes all decisions for the department (versus taking orders from corporate in another town... or state). We are a tight-knit group of therapists who are positive and do what's best for our patients. Another pro is Life Care's productivity standard which is 75%.... other places in town 90% which is unethical.

Cons

It was mentioned before but productivity is always the big push.... therapy can only control our "Part B" caseload.... admissions to our skilled unit are out of our immediate control.

Please. ... take focus off of numbers and on quality of care! That's all you need for marketing, patient satisfaction and employee retention!

Caring and compassionate hands on nursing staff.

I have been working at Life Care Centers

Pros

Great communication between charge nurses and cna's.

Cons

Communication with the Director of Nursing.

DON should be available to answer questions and cover shifts if needed. Although this is a rare occurance, in the event that a shift cannot be covered, I feel the DON should be willing to cover a shift if needed. Promotes "Teamwork" in the workplace.

Great place to work for

Current Employee - CNA in Osawatomie, KS
    Current Employee - CNA in Osawatomie, KS

I have been working at Life Care Centers full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great team to work with

Cons

Work short on the floor

Always have a open door