Life Fitness

Updated Jul 16, 2014

Be The First To
Add Photos

Christopher E. (Chris) Clawson

Company that cares about your health, both physical health and career health.

Manager (Former Employee) Franklin Park, IL

ProsClear and attainable goals set from the top down. Company vision aligns at every level. Career growth taken seriously.

ConsGrowing company, difficult to meet all demands.

I have been with life fitness for 5 years and it has been a great expereance

ProsI love my team at life fitness. The people here are great and it is a great work place

ConsIt is a warehouse position and i am looking for something more workth while

The One Constant is Change

Director (Former Employee) Schiller Park, IL

ProsThe fitness industry is a great industry to work in and marketing fitness products is fun and exciting. There is a solid team of marketers and lots of opportunity to work on a variety of projects depending on the market you support.

ConsOpportunities for advancement were limited and very political. If you could be a "patron" in senior management to back you, you were unstoppable. If not, your options were limited.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

One of the best places to work for especially if your into fitness

Project Manager (Former Employee) Schiller Park, IL

ProsCompany really cares about employess, give you tools to suceed, get paid to work out, summer hours and company sponsored outings

ConsYoung but talented core... but with that comes gossip and drama. I miss life Fitness christmas parties

Advice to Senior ManagementKeep your core values...Brunswick can get in the way due the bottom line

Love Life Fitness, often frustrated by Brunswick (parent company)

Manager (Current Employee) Rosemont, IL

ProsVery entrepreneurial and young vibe with everyone dedicated to fitness.

ConsPoor systems and processes that often make it difficult to get the work done. Old school HR and talent development approaches.

Advice to Senior ManagementTarget problem processes

Excellent personal and career growth over 10+ years

Program Manager (Former Employee) Franklin Park, IL

ProsEnergetic environment; great people to work with - especially peers; great industry with lots of growth and significant upside

ConsCash cow for corporate parent (Brunswick) sometimes constrained decisions; like many organizations, many growing pains while attempting to deliver good, safe products to the market balanced with speed

Advice to Senior ManagementMaintain focus on core business and competencies of the company - don't waste time branching into areas you don't have the infrastructure to support (including knowledge). There is so much growth opportunity in the core.

Globalizing company that presents rewarding opportunities and challenges.

Senior Director (Former Employee) Schiller Park, IL

ProsGreat industry, globalizing customer base.

ConsResource restraints, poor systems, antiquated internal processes.

Advice to Senior ManagementReorganize corporate structure to support digital approach to the marketplace.

A job with little appreciation.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Schiller Park, IL

ProsThere are many good, hardworking, and smart people who work here. The salaries are barely competitive which is a mystery why these people stick around.

ConsVirtually no career advancment opportunities. Lack of training is apparent. Overall a cheap company that spends most of its money on marketing and sales. Misguided at most times.

Advice to Senior ManagementConcentrate on the basics that built the company, high quality, reliable products. Everything else will fall in line. Let people do their jobs.

R & D at Life Fitness

Anonymous Employee (Current Employee) Franklin Park, IL

ProsSummer Picnic, summer hours, profit sharing.

ConsToo much office politics. VPs backstab each other.

Advice to Senior Managementget rid of all VPs and start over.

Unprofessional organization which is badly managed

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

ProsDiscount on gym, flexible working hours

ConsVP driven organization with old fashion way of managing business, meeting culture, no feeling for people and processes (all very ad hoc), big gap between managment and 'normal' associates (who are not happy), only short term focus, no clear vision on strategy, VP seems to be deciding everything, too many layers (matrix), very disorganized and conservative, management is too commercial driven and do not understand the bigger picture, arrogant management, management is more worried about who is driving the most expensive company car, high turnover of staff,
    running behind the facts all day (all very ad hoc), poor systems (no investment made for many years for no clear reason)

Advice to Senior ManagementGet ride of current management and get some fresh blood in with proper skill sets (both personally as professionally).

Worked for Life Fitness? Contribute to the Community!