Life Storage Reviews

Growing Company with lots of Opportunity in Chicago

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at Life Storage full-time

Pros

State of the art facilities, creating your own schedule as long as operational hours are covered, upper management support staff is helpful and always available if you need them, competitive salary, management listens to what you have to say and is open to suggestions, growing company with lots of future possibilities. Company promotes from within and gives opportunities for advancement. Group training/regional meetings are interactive, informative and are always a fun time to see fellow managers and discuss our issues. Director takes my phone call and cares.

Cons

Not enough new positions opening for the amount of employees who want to be promoted. Some major holidays you have to work like 4th of July, Christmas and New Years Eve. Commission structure has changed making it more difficult to make bonus.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the values and company culture alive. It's the small things (your people) that matter! Proud to wear LS green!

2. Manager

I worked at Life Storage full-time

Pros

Welcoming environment with nice customer service in person and over the phone.

Cons

The former employees of LifeStorage can contest to the cons of this company. Upper management will manipulate the system in order to make gains for them selfs. They curve every conversation and or email to make sure they are covered in the sense. Upper management will promise the world to the employees and have them hold on for as long as possible before their employees realize t is not happening. The turn around for entry level management in the last year or so has been great because employees are seeing a pattern. When anyone would bring up any issues to as to the concerns of their employees they smile and ensure they do everything they can. Bottom line is do not say one thing and do another.

Advice to Management

Day one be honest, do not sell a dream to your new managers and you will see the turn around rate decrease.

Complete and utter garbage. Steer clear from this train wreck

Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Store Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at Life Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Nothing about this company can be considered a "pro"

Cons

If I could rate negative I would. Where to begin. Lies, greed and more lies. This company is hands down the absolute worst place I've EVER worked. No respect for their employees, they only promote by being a shameless a** kisser, promised pay increase that never come, but the excuses sure do! From the unnecessary, drawn out interview process to the laughable pay rate, nothing good has come out of the time wasted while working for those greedy parasites Run far away from LS, they simply do not value or care about their employees. The name of the game is corporate greed.

Advice to Management

I can not wait to see your pathetic ways come back to burn you. This company was significantly better prior to the heartless greed mongrels in California took over.

manager

Current Employee - Store Manager in East Las Vegas, NV
    Current Employee - Store Manager in East Las Vegas, NV

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Solid schedule. Time off when you want. Las Vegas Western DM a nice guy who tries.

Cons

Upper management has no experience. HR is a joke and has 0 power. Company wastes vast amounts of money. DMs takes bribes to add expensive contractors to the market. Pay is okay at best however the 'Bonus' system which is the balance for the lower pay is completely managed by the "Director" of the company who has little understanding of the business and makes them nearly impossible to hit. 'Protection' is forced on customers and is added to the rent. If you do not make customers pay extra amount around $20 you are forced to do extra work and made examples of during weekly meetings which take place during your work hours. Regardless if your busy of not. DMs travel around on the company dime spending thousands to look at a sign yet if you ask for basic supplies you are told there is no money for these things. If you have a issue and report it to HR they just report it to who you have the issue with and tell you they have no power to handle it. An employee had cancer and was forced to quit and was told she was not able to take FML due to us not having enough employees. They only promote people who are unable to think for themselves. Flirting will get you promoted. Benefits are a joke. They also lie about your first bonus being prorated and give you that in writing then just don't pay you blaming 90 days. Which is says from first day on the letter.

Advice to Management

Stop wasting money. Stop hiring unqualified friends.

It's what you make it

Former Employee - Store Manager
    Former Employee - Store Manager

I worked at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Pretty easy, showing storage units to potential customers, majority of the time you will always get a sale

Cons

Management did not properly check on the property, would only come by when it was time to cut locks, was always last minute Company Always changed how we would receive our commission and bonuses Expecting more from employee, but investing very little into certain facilities Customers Some could be very pleasant others could be down right rude, liars, and etc

Shady Interview and Management

I worked at Life Storage

Pros

There are no pros working for this company

Cons

Everyone is a store manager so the title means nothing until a customer asks for a manager. The pay is awful and they include your overall pay with benefits that you won't see for 90 days but you can't afford the benefits because of the low pay. Co-workers and management talk awful about other employees and want you to be a snitch on each other. No growth opportunity

Advice to Management

Pay more or you wouldn't have a high turnover, quit talking about other employees with subordinates bring down morale and just can't trust management.

Too bad I can't rate it a ZERO

I worked at Life Storage

Pros

Absolutely nothing positive to say. That's a shame. I've worked for real companies, this has been the worst

Cons

Small company thinks they've made it. Hahaha. There was but one thing I enjoyed about working for this place. Starting with HR, company does not value their people at all. Disrespectful management and everyone talks crap about everyone. No one respects anyone. They are cheap and expect top talent at all costs. They do not value their people at all. Difficult and non supportive management. Honestly I could go on and on but I don't want to relive that negativity.

Advice to Management

Watch your director more closely

Did not like working here

I worked at Life Storage full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The only thing I can think of, is Clean facilities?

Cons

This is the worst company I have ever worked for. Disrespectful people, with that in itself, I do not ever care to work for a company that disrespects me. Nobody would care to put up with it. Management is unknowledgeable to their own job/position but act like they know everything. Micromanaging and suffocating type of company. Pay is very low and expect top talent. Some managers indecisive and very hard to work with. Was not there long and very glad for it. The list goes on and on.

Advice to Management

I really could care less

I love working here!

Current Employee - Property Manager in Killeen, TX
    Current Employee - Property Manager in Killeen, TX

I have been working at Life Storage full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great people and good commissions!

Cons

Very tiresome dealing with all the customers with a very small team.

Current Manager - Chicagoland

I have been working at Life Storage full-time

Pros

The property is very nice. Life maintains property well. Good work schedule/hours.

Cons

Upper management knows little about storage, and has a real difficult time teaching and training, then motivating us when they lack experience. They should be doing rate management, better auction reviews to keep delinquency under 5%.

Advice to Management

We are a growing company and have a bright future. But they need to hire upper managment who supervise us with self storage expertise.

RSS Feed </> Embed