Life Technologies

Updated February 23, 2015
3.6

Life Technologies President Mark Stevenson
Mark Stevenson

Pros
  • Location and work environment is excellent (in 14 reviews)

• You get to work with the sharpest mind on some pretty cutting edge tech (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unclear communication or lack of communication from upper management (director level) (in 15 reviews)

• Worse health benefits than their smaller competitors (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

90 Employee Reviews Back to all Reviews

Software Developer 3

Current Employee - Software Developer in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies

Pros

Love it, is great, great management

Cons

Company that is not fully dedicated to software developer

keep doing whatever you are doing, you rock!

Smart bunch of people

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. Smart people. Good pay.

Cons

When we were bought out by Thermo Fisher there was a lot of unsurety about who would be staying and going. Communication was lacking from immediate managers.

Business Development Intern

Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Intern - Business Development Intern in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Company has great managers. The headquarters space is very cool. Carlsbad and the drive to work is beautiful. They're a great large public company.

Cons

It is so big. Growth strategy is largely acquisition which can sometimes hinder focus on internal growth. Sometimes you can get stuck just doing work by yourself in your cube.

Promote Ronnie Andrews. He is one of the best leaders that I have ever seen. He really inspires, leads, and cares for his employees.

Intern

Current Intern - Intern in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Intern - Intern in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

Great work environment, all levels of workers highly motivated and easy going, laid back,, and very relaxed work clothes, provide classes to learn pertinent material.

Cons

Don't have any thing bad to say about the company. Overall a great experience with co-workers and all levels of management.

Fast paced, on the go, good culture

Former Employee - Finance in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Finance in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, good culture. Sometimes too fast and lose sight of vision, but overall good company. Slightly different now that they are a part of ThermoFisher Scientific. Regular merit increases and bonuses have always been paid.

Cons

Competing personalities, some team players, some not, drive good efforts, but also lose focus. Moving up within the company is challenging unless you live and breathe the corporate mantra. They preach acceptance of all views, but if you don't fit what they want you to, growth is limited.

Truly accept differing personalities, and not just the corporate-type personalities where speaking the loudest (and not necessarily the most wise choice of words) is viewed as "someone who brings a voice to the table." That corporate thinking only stifles true thoughts, that you say you promote. Still a good place to work, but still challenges to overcome.

Good company, pay, and benefits, but limited growth potential

Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Good (not great) working environment, good benefits (including the on-site gym). Company takes reasonable effort to keep cost of health care in check without giving up too much of the service. Good pay.

Cons

Limited growth potential. Practically speaking, among all people I've seen there, if people wanted to grow, they left the company. The HR *think* they are committed to career nurturing, in fact, it is very difficult to grow inside the company. Additionally, people may develop a feeling of being detached from the strategic mission, because their voice practically not heard (which perhaps not surprising, giving the size of the company)

Provide environment where people could grow.

No much life at Life Technologies

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies as a contractor

Pros

The quality of the people and products at LT are amazing. It is a good step in the way to a good company such as Illumina.

Cons

The company has no loyalty to its employees. When the 4th quarter arrives no job is safe. Therefore, many of the people working are contractors. Contracts are easy to cancel without notice.

Learn to appreciate your employees and worry less about the landscaping!

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart, high tech group of people. Great work environment
    Salary good

Cons

HR is pro management only. They need to work on employee retention
    Preferences to kiss-up employees

See above regarding Cons

Horrible Place For a Temp/ Contract Worker But Seems Good For a Full-time Permanent Position

Current Contractor - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Contractor - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies as a contractor (less than a year)

Pros

The atmosphere at this company is actually pretty cool. They let you listen to your iPod, you can chat with your coworkers, your direct bosses and supervisors are usually extremely nice and relatable and there are a lot of potlucks and lunch events (as long as it was one that contracts were allowed to participate in).

ALOT of overtime is offered, so if you're like me and take all of it, you can typically get 50+ hours per week, which is nice. Oh! And you are usually PAID WEEKLY, which is so nice and easy to budget. They are also really flexible with their schedules. You'll have a start time, but hours aren't closely monitored and if you ask, you can have any day off you want (without pay).

One big plus is that you will gain some nice skills and keywords for building up your resume.

Cons

The cons really outweigh the pros I just mentioned. Take my advice and if you take a temp/contract position at this company, don't get comfortable there hoping to be converted to a permanent position (I saw too many recent grads with Biology/Engineering degrees "stuck" there because they got "comfortable" and gave up in this job market- sadly including myself until I snapped out of it). Just to give someone out there an idea- I worked here for a bit less than a year and I quit for a job doing the EXACT SAME THINGS I was doing at Life Tech/ Thermo Fisher- the main difference being that for the same duties, functions and SAME TITLE, I am making THREE TIMES MORE AN HOUR WITH FULL BENEFITS! Please take my advice and continue to apply to other jobs, and take any interviews you can. Degrees mean nothing there (for contract employees), and they will "promote" you and give more duties and responsibilities but they won't give you any more recognition or pay. One plus is that this job WILL give you a nice set of skills you can put on your resume. I won't lie- it actually did help me.

Pay is typically very low, and for the contract/ temp employees, your pay will be in the bottom 10th percentile of similar salaries in your same field. Overtime is offered- ALOT of overtime- They usually have morning, evening and Saturday OT, so that's the only way to get a decent paycheck.

There are NO raises and/or benefits (which you'll be notified of when you accept job), but in the interview process, they do a great job overselling the job and will all but guarantee that if you do a good job and prove yourself that you will be hired onto the company full time permanent with benefits. DON'T LISTEN!!! THEY DO NOT HIRE CONTRACT WORKERS PERMANENT AFTER THEIR CONTRACT ENDS.

Perhaps the absolute worst part of these jobs is that the company seems to go to great lengths to let their contract workers know that they are replaceable, not as important as the permanent employees, and above all- unappreciated! I have held a lot of jobs but this job- by far- made me feel terrible about myself and I had no pride going to work into work in the morning.

Appreciate all your employees, including the Contract/Temporary workers. Don't exclude them from Company events that you hold on site right in front of us and you don't need to make it so obvious and apparent that we are on the bottom of the totem pole in your eyes. Maybe if you appreciated and fairly compensated the contract employees, your employee turnover rate wouldn't be so large.

Not the best, not the worst

Former Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good salary and bonuses. Lots going on.

Cons

Very political. Its not always clear who is getting promoted or what the reason is. Although there were some really great people there, some others seemed more concerned with their own careers than the company or their colleagues. There was constant talk about work -life balance, but not a whole lot of it to see. The company was really loosing its charm prior to and after recent acquisition by Thermo Fischer. Seemed like a good time to leave.

Good luck!