Life Technologies

Life Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 7, 2014

Life Technologies CEO Gregory T. Lucier

Gregory T. Lucier

Pros:
  • "Dynamic environment with constant opportunity to learn"
    in 8 reviews
  • "You get to work with the sharpest mind on some pretty cutting edge tech"
    in 12 reviews
Cons:
  • "Unclear communication or lack of communication from upper management (director level)"
    in 14 reviews
  • "Worse health benefits than their smaller competitors"
    in 12 reviews
  • Show more review highlights

Reviews

Rally nice place to work

Scientist I (Former Employee)
    Brown Deer, WI

Prosfriendly staffs and decent work place

ConsHard to get placed after contract

Altogether a great experience.

Intern (Former Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe intern program is GREAT. Paid holidays off, independence and freedom in the workplace (no micromanagement AT ALL), free company clothing/gear, great atmosphere, very nice employees who are kind to interns, great perks, intern events (lots of time to bond with other interns, we all became friends), excellent pay. Senior managers are also very kind and open to helping out.

Many interns loved their stay in San Diego, because the work/life balance allows you to also enjoy the amazing summer weather outside of work and socialize with other friends/interns.

I assume things will contract a bit though, due to the Thermo acquisition.

ConsThe only con I can think of was my manager.

My day-to-day supervisor/mentor was truly amazing (as were 99% of the employees I met there), but my manager was never to-be-seen. I think I just got stuck with a lackluster one, because other interns seemed to love theirs.

Advice to Senior ManagementGive clear instructions and voice your expectations. How will employees know what they need to accomplish, without you expressing it to them?

Recommended for first time interns

Intern (Current Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsTasks are manageable and resonable

ConsLearn one thing and just that one thing

Advice to Senior ManagementSpend more time with interns

• We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Overall a solid company to work for

ProsManagement is very helpful and supportive of your growth and development. Plenty of training opportunities and a good work/life balance.

ConsSame you will find with a lot of large organizations. There's a lot of pushback between departments trying to disown certain responsibilities or trying to tell another department how to do their jobs. Heavy reliance on temps which means a revolving door of retraining people. Compensation and benefits are not the greatest.

Advice to Senior ManagementHire more permanent workers and a lot of problems would be solved

IT

IT Leader (Current Employee)
    Carlsbad, CA

ProsLots going on....Many interesting projects.....Great business

ConsConstant re-prioritization, not finishing projects and consumption of your life (not work/life balance)

Decent place to work

ProsGood place to work and train your yourself. Fast paced some opportunities to move around if you look to apply yourself.

ConsUsually if you get promoted they don't offer you significant increases in salary. The company focuses a lot on marketing

Boring

Staff Scientist (Current Employee)
    South San Francisco, CA

ProsNice facilities, good food, in-office gym.

ConsThe work I did was boring. I have a degree in biomedical engineering and I felt that I did not use that knowledge at all. My position was entry level as a staff scientist and I felt like I did not gain anything valuable in six months.

A big company with a lot of innovation, but also a lot of bureaucracy.

Manufacturing Technician (Former Employee)
    Eugene, OR

ProsA really big company with a lot of resources and projects going on at one time, meaning if you have a project, you can get it done. For most people, it was easy to move into different roles and try many job roles, and Life Tech's place in biotechnology gives you a central location to the field.

ConsI found the work often very repetitive, and the times when I tried to move within the company, I found little success. My greatest dislike was the very large amount of reliance the company seemed to have on paper trails and inventory control, at times to the detriment of the work, from my perspective.

Advice to Senior ManagementAlthough tools to allow better visibility of the work seem great, they also reduce the ownership that the people doing the work have.

Amazing

Intern (Former Employee)

ProsGreat Work ethics and People

ConsGoing through a merger so no future hiring

Important technology, but lack of resources and culture of fear are present.

ProsSense that your work is contributing to something important. Great group of intelligent dedicated employees.

ConsCulture of fear, lack of leadership, work life balance is not good, benefits have degraded poorly the last several years.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop leadership and career opportunities that are meaningful and more than just a title.

Worked for Life Technologies? Contribute to the Community!

Life Technologies Videos

Life Technologies – Why Work for Us?

It’s a New Day Life Technologies has combined with Thermo Fisher Scientific (NASDAQ: TMO) to create an unrivaled industry leader. The Life Technologies brand is now one of Thermo Fisher’s four premier product brands… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Life Technologies reviews and ratings — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Life Technologies CEO Gregory T. Lucier. All 321 reviews posted anonymously by Life Technologies employees.