Life Technologies Reviews

• Frederick, MD
2.2
Life Technologies President Mark Stevenson
Mark Stevenson

1. Great place to work at!

Former Employee - Scientist II in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Scientist II in Frederick, MD

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Work Culture, Career Development, Employees, Community Involvement

Cons

Few cons, but none worth mentioning.

none

2. What horrible company

Former Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good hours my Co workers were very helpful.

Cons

Horrible management going to the cooler to the freezer wasn't any fun. It was hard to meet the quota when there were so many people in both rooms.I got yelled at because a product was in a wrong spot and it was a problem and I addressed it only to get yelled at for it then I was laid off later that day. Before we started the so called management went over the quotas and filled out a chart. I thought we were in a kindergarten class.

There shouldn't be any time on getting the product. People work in different pace and people who work hard but not as fast shouldn't be fired. Hire mangers that know what the hell there doing and treat people with respect. Get rid of the temp company hire full-time employees.

3. Great growth opportunities

Current Employee - Manufacturing in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Manufacturing in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Great people to work with; Many opportunities for growth; opportunities for cross training and building skill sets

Cons

Only thing constant with Life is change

5. Too Much Employee Turn Over

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

At one time I'm told Life Technologies, Thermo Fisher or whatever they are calling themselves this week was a great place to work. Had great benefits and pay.

Cons

Too much employee turnover. They "lay people off" for no good reason other than to cut expenses but mostly for petty reasons. Management could care less about their employees and they foster an enviroment of enabling employees to "sell each other out" by informing on them to further their own careers.

If you cant manage to learn to treat your employees decenty, please resign so new management can take over. As it stands now most of you in addition to the human resources dept. at our site is horrible.

Life Technologies is great for full time employees, not so much for temps.

Current Contractor - Inventory Control Specialist in Frederick, MD
    Current Contractor - Inventory Control Specialist in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Life Technologies as a contractor (more than 3 years)

Pros

Great working environment, friendly people.

Cons

Temps are routinely terminated without notice.

Give temps notice of termination, and implement training programs for all new employees.

7. Contract Hire Experience

Former Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Desktop Support Engineer in Frederick, MD

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Great team to work with. My experience afforded me OJT that I had not expected.

Cons

Being a contractor. It seems that Life Technologies would have been a great company to work for.

8. I Thought Sweat Shops Were Only In Third World Countries?

Current Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

Not a whole lot positive going for them, particularly at the Frederick,MD distribution site. I'm sure some of those in other departments who make six figure salaries are reasonably happy though.

Cons

Too many incompetant supervisors and "wannabe" bosses. Frederick Distribution management and the Human Resources reps at the same site have little to no integrity. Constant changes in procedures make it very difficult if not impossible to achieve quotas, yet they somehow manage to blame the employee over something they are responsible for causing.

Stop treating you're employees like garbage, stop catering to the butt kissing yes men who fawn over you because believe me, if you knew what they REALLY say about you you'd need therapy to overcome the insecurity you would experience.

9. Sorry excuse for an employer and an embarassment to the biotech industry

Former Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Occasionally come up with great ideas, but they change direction and do the exact opposite of what the idea they came up with in the first place.

Cons

Same as above in Pros, but when they change direction/procedures they dont communicate to employees and have nerve to lecture/reprimand you for something they failed to tell you. Also very little compassion or concern for their employees.

Learn to talk to your employees properly, stop treating temp employees like dirt.

Exasperated

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Good products. Good reputation. Hard working, talented operations and support teams.

Cons

Poor management. Poor communication. Very political (mucho brown nosing required to get ahead). Frequent re-orgs/layoffs with resulting low personnel morale and folks carrying more duties (with no additional comp).

Be more open. Stop making advancement a zero sum exercise.

11. Just an OK company

Current Employee - Scientist in Frederick, MD
    Current Employee - Scientist in Frederick, MD

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Great people to work with on the ground level.

Many opportunities to collaborate with other very talented scientists across the company.

Many great opportunities to work with and get exposed to other job functions (marketing, product development, operations, quality).

Cons

Upper management continues to strip away more benefits from its employees every year.

Upper management also lacks the patience and tenacity that are required to carry new projects through thecommercialization process, causing scientists to develop relatively simple products that do not challenge the mind.

R&D scientists spend too much time on the "D" and not the "R" .

R&D scientists are also continually distracted from their primary job function of conducting experiments in order to support non-scientist related tasks related to marketing and product development. Don't get me wrong, the distraction is nice but it is too often and at the end of the day, upper management only cares about things which are tangible and that would be experimental results.

Well deserved and overdue promotions within the company are very difficult to get.

Overall, the company does not try hard enough to retain its employees and only seems to care about pleasing the stockholders.

Your company is only as good as your employees so you should seriously start thinking about their well-being (even in this economic climate).