Life Technologies

Life Technologies Reviews

Updated Jul 30, 2014

Life Technologies President Mark Stevenson

Mark Stevenson

Pros
  • Location and work environment is excellent (in 14 reviews)

• Great people, good benefits, a lot of different types of positions (in 13 reviews)

Cons
  • Unclear communication or lack of communication from upper management (director level) (in 14 reviews)

• Worse health benefits than their smaller competitors (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

Business Development Intern

Business Development Intern (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsCompany has great managers. The headquarters space is very cool. Carlsbad and the drive to work is beautiful. They're a great large public company.

ConsIt is so big. Growth strategy is largely acquisition which can sometimes hinder focus on internal growth. Sometimes you can get stuck just doing work by yourself in your cube.

Advice to Senior ManagementPromote Ronnie Andrews. He is one of the best leaders that I have ever seen. He really inspires, leads, and cares for his employees.

Intern

Intern (Current Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsGreat work environment, all levels of workers highly motivated and easy going, laid back,, and very relaxed work clothes, provide classes to learn pertinent material.

ConsDon't have any thing bad to say about the company. Overall a great experience with co-workers and all levels of management.

Project Manager

Project Manager (Former Employee) Calabasas, CA

ProsI worked with a talented and respectful group of people. I loved the company culture, great campus, lunch room environments and gym. Fast paced you certainly couldn't get bored working here.

ConsNot enough people to get the work done in a timely fashion. Too much overtime.

1. We want your feedback – Are these company reviews helpful to you?  Yes | No

Good company, pay, and benefits, but limited growth potential

Senior IT Engineer (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsGood (not great) working environment, good benefits (including the on-site gym). Company takes reasonable effort to keep cost of health care in check without giving up too much of the service. Good pay.

ConsLimited growth potential. Practically speaking, among all people I've seen there, if people wanted to grow, they left the company. The HR *think* they are committed to career nurturing, in fact, it is very difficult to grow inside the company. Additionally, people may develop a feeling of being detached from the strategic mission, because their voice practically not heard (which perhaps not surprising, giving the size of the company)

Advice to Senior ManagementProvide environment where people could grow.

Good opportunity, changes are coming

Scientist (Current Employee) South San Francisco, CA

ProsGood opportunities for ambitious people. Cool technologies to provide a lot to learn. Talent people to work with. High octane `pace to test one's mettle. Decent compensation and benefits.

ConsCorporate politics start to affect work. Different teams tend to point fingers rather than collaborate for which the senior management not always acts like a good referee. Constant changes since the acquisition and more on the horizon.

A good company to work for

Senior Field Applications Scientist (Former Employee) Rockville, MD

ProsBig company to have many opportunities for one to grow

ConsDepending on the division you are working at, the culture may be different. And some of them are not that great

Sr. Associate Business Excellent Specialist

Anonymous (Former Employee)

ProsFast paced. The projects allow no time for slacking

ConsIf you are looking for a small company, this isn't for you

Assessment from a former employee

Regulatory Engineer III (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsLots of challenging work, lots of opportunities for learning, great colleagues across the globe, no micromanagement and fast pace dynamic environment.

ConsWork overload, work/family balance is non-existent. Medical benefits quality started trending down, management failed to keep their promises. Certain business units got better perks than other business units showing favoritism.

Advice to Senior ManagementPolicies and incentives should be applied equally across the business units. Re-calibrate the workload and balance to match peoples capabilities. Ensure managers are competent and give them appropriate training to be able to manage others.

Foster City. Smart people, famous "great" workplace culture not always accurate.

Content Manager (Former Employee) Foster City, CA

ProsMost people there value your contributions more than the time you spend at the office. The teams are very coordinated and connected; they communicate every step of the way. They trust you to work with high-level staff within a very short period of time. Very interesting and exciting body of knowledge with which to work.

ConsTraining was by documentation; the documentation was out of date, which we learned by spending time producing the wrong results.

Advice to Senior ManagementThere's a relevant adage: "Most people don't leave their jobs--they leave their managers." Like in most work environments, some of the managers would benefit (and their teams would benefit) if they took management courses.

No much life at Life Technologies

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee) Carlsbad, CA

ProsThe quality of the people and products at LT are amazing. It is a good step in the way to a good company such as Illumina.

ConsThe company has no loyalty to its employees. When the 4th quarter arrives no job is safe. Therefore, many of the people working are contractors. Contracts are easy to cancel without notice.

Advice to Senior ManagementLearn to appreciate your employees and worry less about the landscaping!

Worked for Life Technologies? Contribute to the Community!