Life Technologies

Employer Engaged

What horrible company

Former Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD
    Former Employee - Material Handler in Frederick, MD

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (less than a year)

Pros

Good hours my Co workers were very helpful.

Cons

Horrible management going to the cooler to the freezer wasn't any fun. It was hard to meet the quota when there were so many people in both rooms.I got yelled at because a product was in a wrong spot and it was a problem and I addressed it only to get yelled at for it then I was laid off later that day. Before we started the so called management went over the quotas and filled out a chart. I thought we were in a kindergarten class.

There shouldn't be any time on getting the product. People work in different pace and people who work hard but not as fast shouldn't be fired. Hire mangers that know what the hell there doing and treat people with respect. Get rid of the temp company hire full-time employees.

Great HR, but seems has little science background

I worked at Life Technologies

Pros

great company to work for, but has tons of PHD, HR is super nice.

Cons

has tons of PHD, no developing space for bachelor and master

I worked for Life Technologies as a contractor and then full-time.

Current Contractor - Quality Assurance Specialist in Austin, TX
    Current Contractor - Quality Assurance Specialist in Austin, TX

I have been working at Life Technologies as a contractor (more than a year)

Pros

-Delightful coworkers
    -Great location
    -Flexible hours
    -Good pay

Cons

-Too many organizational changes
    -Contractors could be terminated without notice
    -Training structure could use some improvements

LIFE has been lost forever :-(

I have been working at Life Technologies

Pros

CEO, COO, innovation, development,

Cons

work / life balance
    legal and finance

take back Greg

Continually challenging work frought with an overabundance of mismanagement. 13 direct supervisors in 18 years.

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Challenging environment. Surrounded by exceptionally smart people. Cutting edge technology. Very cool to be a part of this. Better than average pay considering the locality. Reasonable opportunity for advancement if one would relocate.

Cons

Once the company became Life Technologies, the upper management shifted from one based in Science to Engineering. Scientists, (the ultimate innovators), were pushed out by engineering strategies and once that became the norm, the engineer's mind began to apply engineering principles to personnel staffing and operations. This severely narrowed new ideas and the ability to try something radical. Fear of reprisal dented the scientist's mindset that trying and failing is ok. This is the great shame of LTC. It not only affected scientific personnel but practically all of operations. Now, there are some areas of operations where task based improvement can work, but it will only go so far. In my opinion, in almost all endeavors that involve people, their brain should not be limited by an engineer's perspective. It must remain wide open at all times, with enough empowerment in their immediate environment, so their ideas are valued and enough of them are incorporated so as to create the culture of advancement. The other negative that occurred as LTC became the world juggernaught it was to become was that local site's autonomy was taken away in pieces and the sites became production sites only without any of the innovation that the local expertise may have built up over decades of working on their specialty.

Take advantage of local expertise.

intern

Former Intern - Intern in Foster City, CA
    Former Intern - Intern in Foster City, CA

I worked at Life Technologies as an intern (less than a year)

Pros

working at life tech makes you "feel good" because you're working for a good cause and the people working there are all good since they also chose to work for the benefit of everyone in healthcare.. so i enjoyed working with the people.

Cons

internship wasn't very structured so I ended up wasting time and not learning a lot.. I also thought that the job description didn't match the internship at all so that was disappointing. I wish it was more structured and more than one intern in one project rather than one intern in a different project. this is because some interns had good supervisors that gave them a solid project whereas others did not.

Smart bunch of people

Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Nice people. Smart people. Good pay.

Cons

When we were bought out by Thermo Fisher there was a lot of unsurety about who would be staying and going. Communication was lacking from immediate managers.

Difficult place to work and develop a career

Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Senior Product Manager in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

* Wonderful peers in my business area with highly collaborative spirit
    * Cutting edge technologies are fun to work with

Cons

* Too many organizational changes (starting long before the Thermo Fisher acquisition) make it difficult to gain traction with direct manager who is often key to career growth and promotions
    * Leaders centralize decision making to high levels of the organization, making it difficult for employees to make a positive impact on the company's strategy
    * Managers often seem to be more interested in gaining power than doing the right thing for the business
    * Short-term focus on financial results often leads to failure to capitalize on longer-term strategies or to put the customer first in the business relationship
    * Divisions are more apt to compete with each other rather than collaborate to create innovations, which is at odds with the stated culture of the company

Good company to build your experience

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

The co-workers are great and friendly, there is a sense of teamwork. Good place to learn and grow skillsets.

Cons

HQ and execs were located in Carlsbad. Less face time and there is uncertainty of moving teams down south

It was an ok place to work.

I have been working at Life Technologies

Pros

The people that you work with are good.

Cons

Temporary contract job that ended early without any warning whatsoever.