Life Technologies

Updated December 18, 2014
3.1

Life Technologies President Mark Stevenson
Mark Stevenson

Pros
  • Location and work environment is excellent (in 14 reviews)

• You get to work with the sharpest mind on some pretty cutting edge tech (in 14 reviews)

Cons
  • Unclear communication or lack of communication from upper management (director level) (in 15 reviews)

• Worse health benefits than their smaller competitors (in 12 reviews)

More Highlights

No much life at Life Technologies

I worked at Life Technologies as a contractor

Pros

The quality of the people and products at LT are amazing. It is a good step in the way to a good company such as Illumina.

Cons

The company has no loyalty to its employees. When the 4th quarter arrives no job is safe. Therefore, many of the people working are contractors. Contracts are easy to cancel without notice.

Learn to appreciate your employees and worry less about the landscaping!

Good opportunity, changes are coming

Current Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Scientist in South San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 3 years)

Pros

Good opportunities for ambitious people. Cool technologies to provide a lot to learn. Talent people to work with. High octane `pace to test one's mettle. Decent compensation and benefits.

Cons

Corporate politics start to affect work. Different teams tend to point fingers rather than collaborate for which the senior management not always acts like a good referee. Constant changes since the acquisition and more on the horizon.

software engineer

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Foster City, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (less than an year)

Pros

very nice place, the work is not busy

Cons

It is not stable. always become another company

Great peer and leadership community

Current Employee - Program Manager in Foster City, CA
    Current Employee - Program Manager in Foster City, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 8 years)

Pros

You are constantly challenged to perform better, great learning opportunities and growth

Cons

Too many things in flux at the same time creating unnecessary distractions.

Sales

I have been working at Life Technologies

Pros

Good opportunity for high bonus

Cons

More coordination with parent company

This Review is for the Custom Primers Department Only

Former Employee - Associate Manufacturing Technician in Pleasanton, CA
    Former Employee - Associate Manufacturing Technician in Pleasanton, CA

I worked at Life Technologies as a contractor (more than an year)

Pros

- Coworkers are awesome; we hang out outside of work
    - Always willing to hire recent grads with no work experience (for contract position)

Cons

- Management plays favorites
    - Rarely any opportunities for upward mobility
    - High turnover rate for contractors; they convert a max of 4 people per quarter depending on availability of positions
    - Make-to-order company, so business will get slow every now and then; contractors end up losing hours

Let the leads decide on who should be converted. They're the ones that are actually on the floor and are able to gauge an employee's potential. Supervisors tend to convert the employees who go into their office and suck up to them, even if they don't work well.

Great Learning Experience

I worked at Life Technologies full-time

Pros

Opportunities to work with really smart people and work on interesting & challenging projects.

Cons

The workload is relentlessly demanding.

Horrible Place For a Temp/ Contract Worker But Seems Good For a Full-time Permanent Position

Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA
    Current Employee - Manufacturing Technician in Carlsbad, CA

I have been working at Life Technologies as a contractor (less than an year)

Pros

The atmosphere at this company is actually pretty cool. They let you listen to your iPod, you can chat with your coworkers, your direct bosses and supervisors are usually extremely nice and relatable and there are a lot of potlucks and lunch events (as long as it was one that contracts were allowed to participate in).

ALOT of overtime is offered, so if you're like me and take all of it, you can typically get 50+ hours per week, which is nice. Oh! And you are usually PAID WEEKLY, which is so nice and easy to budget. They are also really flexible with their schedules. You'll have a start time, but hours aren't closely monitored and if you ask, you can have any day off you want (without pay).

One big plus is that you will gain some nice skills and keywords for building up your resume.

Cons

The cons really outweigh the pros I just mentioned. Take my advice and if you take a temp/contract position at this company, don't get comfortable there hoping to be converted to a permanent position (I saw too many recent grads with Biology/Engineering degrees "stuck" there because they got "comfortable" and gave up in this job market- sadly including myself until I snapped out of it). Just to give someone out there an idea- I worked here for a bit less than a year and I quit for a job doing the EXACT SAME THINGS I was doing at Life Tech/ Thermo Fisher- the main difference being that for the same duties, functions and SAME TITLE, I am making THREE TIMES MORE AN HOUR WITH FULL BENEFITS! Please take my advice and continue to apply to other jobs, and take any interviews you can. Degrees mean nothing there (for contract employees), and they will "promote" you and give more duties and responsibilities but they won't give you any more recognition or pay. One plus is that this job WILL give you a nice set of skills you can put on your resume. I won't lie- it actually did help me.

Pay is typically very low, and for the contract/ temp employees, your pay will be in the bottom 10th percentile of similar salaries in your same field. Overtime is offered- ALOT of overtime- They usually have morning, evening and Saturday OT, so that's the only way to get a decent paycheck.

There are NO raises and/or benefits (which you'll be notified of when you accept job), but in the interview process, they do a great job overselling the job and will all but guarantee that if you do a good job and prove yourself that you will be hired onto the company full time permanent with benefits. DON'T LISTEN!!! THEY DO NOT HIRE CONTRACT WORKERS PERMANENT AFTER THEIR CONTRACT ENDS.

Perhaps the absolute worst part of these jobs is that the company seems to go to great lengths to let their contract workers know that they are replaceable, not as important as the permanent employees, and above all- unappreciated! I have held a lot of jobs but this job- by far- made me feel terrible about myself and I had no pride going to work into work in the morning.

Appreciate all your employees, including the Contract/Temporary workers. Don't exclude them from Company events that you hold on site right in front of us and you don't need to make it so obvious and apparent that we are on the bottom of the totem pole in your eyes. Maybe if you appreciated and fairly compensated the contract employees, your employee turnover rate wouldn't be so large.

Great company culture!

Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Senior Program Manager in Austin, TX

I have been working at Life Technologies full-time (more than 10 years)

Pros

Great development opportunities for fast career growth.
    Fun place to work for, full of challenges and fast paced projects.
    Co-workers, co-workers, co-workers!

Cons

Stressful as with any public traded company.
    Short term goal oriented.
    Have gone through several integrations and too many changes in management.

Work on life work balance, make employees the priority.
    Treat employees with respect with regards to change.

Great Company

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Carlsbad, CA

I worked at Life Technologies full-time (more than 5 years)

Pros

Very smart, high tech group of people. Great work environment
    Salary good

Cons

HR is pro management only. They need to work on employee retention
    Preferences to kiss-up employees