Life Time Fitness

Updated Mar 6, 2014

Life Time Fitness Chairman, President, and CEO Bahram Akradi

Bahram Akradi

19 Employee Reviews Back to all reviews

Great place to workout ... terrible company to work for.

Anonymous Employee (Former Employee)

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than 3 years

ProsYou get a free membership

ConsThey promote managers based on revenue generated ... not people management skills. The corporate employees running the business are disconnected from the clubs and don't understand the relationships that are built between the club employees and the paying members. It comes from the top down

Potential to be an awesome place

Corporate Office (Current Employee)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness full-time for more than a year

ProsFree membership, low formality culture at corporate office, fun people (most of the time). Great place to get a ton of experience because they run a LEAN team. Fast paced culture means you'll never get bored. Great place to learn as much as you want about your personal health and fitness with tons of great and knowledgeable people!

ConsNo work/life balance or respect for employees. When you meet a goal, all they expect is more. It never seems to be good enough. Feels like a "boys club" a lot of the time with senior management... you really feel the glass ceiling here.

I feel like i'm always connected to work- at home I feel like i have to check my email at all hours in case a senior leader needs something. At times it feels like i'm working with jr-high age people. If you don't like profanity, you may get easily offended.

Advice to Senior ManagementPlease value your employees. We know members are #1, but if employees aren't valued, we can't make it the best experience for our members. Employees are NOT just at your disposal. It does matter when we lose employees because of turnover costs.

Worst company. This review is for Corporate Headquarters

Advertising (Former Employee)

I worked at Life Time Fitness full-time for less than a year

Pros* They hire young people (cheaper) which makes for a fun office environment most of the time.
* Great creative portfolio builder because of the amount of work you churn through.

Cons* Work/Life balance is not valued even though they claim to hold it to high regard.
* The CEO is a total creep. Watch out ladies. I mean it. That also goes for most of upper management and his "right hand men". And I say men because of the next bullet:
* Male-dominated atmosphere with a touch of egotistical, chauvinistic, hot-headedness, and sexual harassment thrown in just for fun.
* You can't trust them. I got a new job and my old boss at Life Time called their New York headquarters to say nasty things about me (when I had done nothing wrong). defamation of character? Check.

Advice to Senior ManagementGet a clue. The more you respect your employees and treat them like equals the more people will WANT to stay after hours to finish a product. Also, try not hiring jerks for upper management.

Love the LiftTime way of life!

Swim Instructor (Current Employee)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

ProsGood pay, Membership included with employment, lifestyle

ConsI feel like I dont have anywhere to advance to. I also feel like my higher ups do not notice me.

Advice to Senior ManagementAppreciate the small workers more

Life Time Fitness - A pretty from the outside, ugly on the inside, way of life company

Operations Technician (Current Employee)

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

ProsThey promote a healthy culture and have great facilities.
Flashy name.
Trendy industry.
Leftover tickets to sporting events sometimes trickle down from the C-suite.

ConsLow pay/poor benefits.
Low morale.
Unfair/Unjust promotion practices.
HR department that is out of touch.
Conflicts of interest with vendors.
A legal department that has it's hands on too much of the business.
Life Time Fitness is just another public company where the executives and the board are working for the stock and not taking care of the employees or the members.
Decreasing benefits/increased benefit cost for non-executive employees = "effective lower pay".
Ineffective leadership in the C-suite and director levels.
A very reactive culture.

Advice to Senior ManagementDevelop, grow and retain talent, give them a reason to stay.
Make an appearance to the office once in a while, take the time to get to know your employees before they turnover.
Higher a good recruiter.
Don't tell employees times are tough, then go patting everybody on the back in the C-suite doling out raises and bonuses.

Great Place to Launch and Grow Your Career!

ProsLife Time Fitness offers employees:

A Fun Team Environment
Fast Paced Work Pace
Changing Atmosphere
Rapid Growth
Unbeatable Employees
Beautiful Facilities!

ConsOverall, I can't think of any cons. The hours can be lengthy at times, but I enjoy the work that I do so the hours often fly by!

Advice to Senior ManagementLife Time Fitness has excellent leaders who keep their teams informed on company initiatives and aligned with the mission and vision of LTF. We have exceptional managers!

Best for competitive fitness enthusiasts who enjoy working hard in a very fast paced culture.

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

Pros- Competitive culture
- Moves very fast! Every day is different.
- Free club membership & employee discounts
- Direct access to senior leaders and executive teams
- Strong vision for growth
- Promotion opportunities if you work hard and ask to move up
- Casual dress code (jeans/fitness gear)

Cons- Work/life balance is tough to find in some departments
- Very high expectations. Expect to work hard.
- Projects can change instantly - you need to be adaptable.

Growing company with lots of opportunities, but experiencing severe growing pains

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

ProsThere are alot of growth opportunities in the growing company. The company is truely focused around it's mission and is driving towards that to change the lives of as many people as possible for the better.

ConsBenefits and compensation are subpar compared to similar positions. Most people start working for Life Time Fitness to move up quickly through the ranks while making less money for a few years and then leave and make alot more money with another company. The senior leadership is a visionary group who truely care about the company. However, they still have a very strong "good ole boys club" mentality about them. There are no females in senior leadership. Even at the club level, all of the area directors are men.

Advice to Senior ManagementWork to put compensation and benefits at a comparable level to other companies with similar positions. You get what you pay for and if you compensate highly qualified people, you will retain them and the company will grow even faster. Lose the "good ole boys club" it's the 21st century.

Has potential, but experiencing growing pains

I have been working at Life Time Fitness

ProsFree membership to the clubs. Flexible work schedule.

ConsLocation. Public company. Cube farm. Very few activities for a fitness company.

Advice to Senior ManagementWorry less about standards and more about improving the business. Too much focus is spent on procedures rather than making the company better to the customer.

Worked for Life Time Fitness? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Life Time Fitness reviews and ratings in Chanhassen, MN — including employee satisfaction and approval rating for Life Time Fitness CEO Bahram Akradi. All 19 reviews posted anonymously by Life Time Fitness employees.